YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 403883 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#1041  March 24, 2015, 06:37:16 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Ugh, that interview is him mostly backing away from his more over the top statements from his twitter outburst (which is good, because it was idiotic, through and through) but he kept most of the same basic points. As for the stuff about "oh no there's totally a slippery slope leading us to a new Comics Code", that's ridiculous. Listening to your fanbase is a good thing, it's sound business (of course, you shouldn't be afraid to challenge your base, but I think it's fair to say that cover wasn't doing that). There's a lot of comics out there with more disturbing images or controversial content than that Batgirl comic (including some of Larsen's own work), and they don't get press and attention like the cover because that stuff appeals to its own audience, and that audience expects it. Like, no one is even talking about Larsen's thing anymore because the people who disagree with him don't follow him or the things he does in great numbers (Larsen has been working on Savage Dragon for decades; his fanbase is pretty set in stone).

It should also be noted, however, that he agrees completely with the decision to take down the cover, so, yeah.

I don't know I think that would make a pretty awesome cover.  Doomsday is supposed to be an engine of death that even Superman isn't able to completely overcome, and a cover like this rubs in the idea of even the man of steel being powerless and afraid before such a force.  The only problem is that Doomsday looks like he's painting his nails and Superman looks like he's wearing lipstick.  If it was Kryptonite instead of a bloody smile it would be perfect.
Superman isn't really afraid of Doomsday, though. It looks so wrong, because it's so blatantly out of character (well that and the lipstick thing).
Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:47:58 am by Jmorphman
#1042  March 25, 2015, 12:19:21 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Maybe has been discussed already, but about the new design of WW, well...

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#1043  March 25, 2015, 04:01:13 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Aw man! You made Wonder Woman look hideous!
#1044  March 25, 2015, 04:24:41 am
    • USA
Isn't that face from the Wonder Woman model in Injustice?

so like, there's gotta be more than one Geoff Johns, right? There's the Johns who wrote Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., JSA, and this currennt Superman run as well as the one from a year or so before the nu52; the one who really, truly gets these characters and the DC universe, and who uses all of that to tell interesting and varied stories. And there's the other Geoff Johns, who writes terrible comics that get bogged down into pointless continuity fixes, where people's limbs keep getting ripped off and everyone is an asshole for no reason and the heroes never fight any villains because they're too busy fighting each other/alternate universe evil versions of each other/mind-controlled versions of themselves/etc.
#1045  March 25, 2015, 08:06:30 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#1046  March 25, 2015, 08:16:26 pm
    • USA

Bea

#1047  March 26, 2015, 02:22:08 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

so like, there's gotta be more than one Geoff Johns, right? There's the Johns who wrote Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., JSA, and this currennt Superman run as well as the one from a year or so before the nu52; the one who really, truly gets these characters and the DC universe, and who uses all of that to tell interesting and varied stories. And there's the other Geoff Johns, who writes terrible comics that get bogged down into pointless continuity fixes, where people's limbs keep getting ripped off and everyone is an asshole for no reason and the heroes never fight any villains because they're too busy fighting each other/alternate universe evil versions of each other/mind-controlled versions of themselves/etc.

... They are writing GOOD Superman stories again?
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? D:

I MUST READ THEM!
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1048  March 26, 2015, 03:59:13 pm
    • USA
Morrison's Action Comics run was pretty OK I guess, but it's really hard not to compare it to All-Star Superman; when you've written basically the best Superman story, ever (maybe/probably). Those panels are from the Geoff Johns run (issues 32-39 of Superman) that just finished, and was great. Scott Snyder and Jim Lee's Superman Unchained was decent, I guess, but IDK I liked it but I didn't love it? And I've heard good things about Greg Pak's Action Comics run but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
#1049  March 26, 2015, 07:33:20 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
To Morrisons credit, the new action comics line was supposed to have a very different tone from the superman stuff he's worked on before and he managed to keep true to the character while also sticking to the new established tone.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1050  March 26, 2015, 07:41:40 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Paktion Comics is pretty solid, but it gets derailed heavily by Superman getting bitten by a Doomsday and turning into a Doomsday.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1051  March 27, 2015, 08:35:58 pm
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
*offtopic*

So DC is bringing good story arcs back, have you seen The Flash #40?
Damn it feels good to have Eobard Thawne back, aka Professor Zoom!
#1052  March 28, 2015, 01:38:20 am
    • USA
To Morrisons credit, the new action comics line was supposed to have a very different tone from the superman stuff he's worked on before and he managed to keep true to the character while also sticking to the new established tone.
I know, but it's just really hard not to compare it to All-Star!!!
#1053  March 28, 2015, 07:05:13 pm
lol
#1054  March 28, 2015, 07:13:58 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I don't think it's very heroic to assault tied up people, no matter what kind of stupid shit they say.

Wonder woman is a character who has always been pretty damn feminist, but not like this. Ugh.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1055  March 28, 2015, 07:41:19 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
that's it, I am done with comics, can I get banned from a topic ?
#1056  March 28, 2015, 07:48:54 pm
    • USA
I don't think it's very heroic to assault tied up people, no matter what kind of stupid shit they say.
That basic scene (villain says something upsetting to innocent victim, victim punches villain) is in like a thousand comics, though (I literally just saw a panel with it in a Black Panther comic, yesterday). I know there's even been a couple in Wonder Woman where the villain is all lassoed up, even!

so over in the main DC universe: Terry McGinnis just died and now Tim Drake is being sent to the future to become the new Batman Beyond.

Future's End is seriously the worst

Bea

#1057  March 29, 2015, 04:44:01 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

Wonder woman is a character who has always been pretty damn feminist, but not like this. Ugh.

You have no idea how much satisfaction I got from those panels, considering that I deal with that kind of bullshit almost daily at work, and I can't punch them, nor just fire them since they are shareholders and board directors like me.
It might not be very heroic what the girl did, but sometimes people work you way past your limit and you just let emotion steamroll past reason and punch the sucker, no matter the situation.
They are lucky that they can do that in comics. I can't do it irl.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1058  March 29, 2015, 04:56:35 am
  • The Goddess Returns
lol

Mansplaining...and a woman punching out her boss while he's tied up and unable to defend himself...

If Wonder Woman, the face of feminism in comics and who loves EVERYONE EQUALLY, why would she allow that to even happen? Why would she even say that shit?

Oh right pandering to the tumblr crowd who will still never read comics.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1059  March 29, 2015, 05:03:04 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Only thing about the page that bugs me is the "mansplaining" bit but otherwise nothing to get twisty about.
so over in the main DC universe: Terry McGinnis just died and now Tim Drake is being sent to the future to become the new Batman Beyond.

Future's End is seriously the worst
did Terry lose a limb

It's not Future's End unless someone loses an arm or leg.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#1060  March 29, 2015, 05:05:12 am
    • USA
He sadly kept all his limbs for his death scene.

Mansplaining...and a woman punching out her boss while he's tied up and unable to defend himself...

If Wonder Woman, the face of feminism in comics and who loves EVERYONE EQUALLY, why would she allow that to even happen? Why would she even say that shit?

Oh right pandering to the tumblr crowd who will still never read comics.
Yeah that's real rich, complaining about people who totally don't read comics; that "tumblr crowd" is the one that's is the primary target audience of Batgirl and Ms. Marvel and the like, and they are buying them (mostly through digital, and that page is from a digital-first comic even), maybe you should actually read the comic in question? That guy is a bad guy. He tried to murder people (and specifically tried to murder the friends of the pop star who punched that guy out). Superheroes beat people up. The logic isn't particularly complex here.