YesNoOk

Unique Game experiences (Read 1111 times)

Started by Tony 3rd, November 30, 2008, 10:31:43 pm
Share this topic:
Unique Game experiences
#1  November 30, 2008, 10:31:43 pm
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
I'm downloading some old stuff, namely, Deus EX and Max Payne, and I've remembered how i came to play Deus EX.

I did not even knew the game existed, and the only proof of that was that it was installed on my PC.

explaining: This was probably in 2002 (a few weeks after i've finished the game, I heard that the sequel was on the making, on a CVG magazine laying around my english schools waiting room). My mother had bought our family 2nd computer, with the help of my brother's computer geek friend. it was a Pentium 2, IINM. the deal is, since this was not bought on an actual store, but they've bought the pieces and had my brother's friend to assemble it (and a few years later, I would be the one taking PCs apart, mind you) this pc came with a lot of gaming goodness. there was a fifa, Unreal tournament and many others. one called Deus EX.

now, i did not knew what Deus EX was about. did not even cared why it was installed on my PC. in fact, during the first month, i've completely ignored it. one day, i had too much free time on my hands. so i decided, let's see what that game is about.

I load it up, it has "game of the year edition". and i said "meh. probably some fancy title to sell more copies".

when it starts, cool. 1st person. got some guns and start shooting. get to know who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. earth is in distress, I'm a super dude and i gotta save the day.

preety clichê right?

and there I was, having some fun, shooting some terrorists, learning english on the way. until, quite deep in the game, a bunch of guys in black with XII on their helmets shows up.

WTF? from where those guys come from? who are they?

and starts one of the most involving plots I've ever played. the whole Illuminatti deal took me by storm. and it was intensified because I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA of what could happen or what to expect. something that I've never had with any other game.

so, any of you guys have some unique gaming experience?

Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:34:44 pm by Tony 3rd
Re: Unique Game experiences
#2  November 30, 2008, 10:43:26 pm
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
SF3 - I K.O'd some top rank guy with Ken's taunt.
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#3  December 01, 2008, 12:24:08 am
  • Whoever cares to learn will always find a teacher.
    • shindoh.deviantart.com/
~A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.~

http://shindoh.deviantart.com/
#4  December 01, 2008, 03:41:38 am
    • Peru
Recently I went to a store to buy some 2nd hand Wii games; they had a pile of crap, but in all that stuff I found No More Heroes. I read about the game earlier and I knew it was "good" so I bought it for $30. I started playing the game and it was a dissapointment; mainly in the graphics part: framerate issues, mipmapping poorly performed in some cases, low detail in general. Also I tought the game was too simple for its own sake. "Why the hell this thing earned a 9?" I asked me.

Somehow, I couldn't stop playing the game... the story, even if simple it's very enjoyable because has a lot of obscure jokes and cruel humor attached to it; every boss is unique and very stylized and the fights are awesome. Then, I found beam katana updates, new techniques, lolikov balls, free kill missions, killing missions, jobs, the t shirts, the cards, etc. I started LOVING the game.

I finished the game some weeks ago and I can say this game is one of the best action games I ever played in my life, paired up with some gems like DMC3. I almost cried with the end because it's like "I want more more MORE!". Good for me Desperate Struggle is in development process.
#5  December 02, 2008, 12:56:48 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Chrono trigger was one of those games that changed my perception of games, truly wonderful.

Katamari Damacy made me admire quirky art games, with their simplicity and ability to amaze.
#6  December 02, 2008, 02:36:40 am
  • I've got ballllls of steeellll.
My most unique game experiences are the ones where you can truly make something of your own part of the game, changing the game and truly making it special each time you play.  Three games come to mind for me.

The first I've played that did this successfully was Jade Cocoon on PS1.  You sort of "breed" two your own creatures you've battled and captured into their own new unique creature.  Everything literally was combined; stats, moves, and coolest of all, its appearance.  Before this and to this day I haven't seen a game use this concept so well.  It made the game fun and refreshing each time you wanted to upgrade your army of creatures, and there was a lot of strategy used while you would do this.  This may sound slightly like a Pokemon or Monster Rancher game, but it was WAAAAY better than that (IMO), and had a much more grown-up, serious feeling to it.  If you've never played this and it sounds interesting to you, look it up;  it's still just as fun today.  Just be sure NOT confuse this with Jade Cocoon 2 for PS2.  That game successfully took away every single thing that made the first one great.

Next up is Magic Pengel for PS2.  In this game, you literally draw something from scratch.  Based on how you draw it, your creation moves a certain way, gets unique stats and moves.  You could draw something epic and incredibly detailed that takes many hours to make, or you can draw a one-line black scribble and see what it does based on how you drew it.  You can even create (for instance) a massive sword (or whatever else your heart desires) and designate it as a separate weapon for your already-drawn character to use.  You do turn-based battles with a rock/paper/scissors feel to it, and it's incredibly fun.  The replayability is extremely high because there is literally no limit to what you can do, and each creation is completely different.  I have no idea how I came up with some of my insane ideas for characters; one of them is the rapper Busta Rhymes' head as a sippy cup with a straw coming out of the top; aptly titled, "Bussacup".  It genuinely looks like a characature of him (I could post pictures later).  He has a move where he flies over to the opponent and starts spinning around, brutally whipping the opponent with his dreadlocks.  How's THAT for a unique game experience?  Always fun to bust this out at parties.

Lastly is Graffiti Kingdom for PS2.  It's a sequel to Magic Pengel, however this plays more like a 3D action/adventure.  So this plays like a completely different game, but it's still the concept; you draw literally anything and make as many characters as you like, only this time you have even more options for creation, and the graphic style is slightly more realistic.  So you can imagine the possibilites on this one.  You can make them breathe fire, vomit toxic sludge, or use both of their hands (or ten hands) and do a kamehameha with ice attributes.  And even though all three of these games are fantastic and unique from each other, I believe this one may be the most fun of the three. 

Games like these are incredibly rare gems these days.  I've played so many other games that try so hard at letting you create something unique like "Drawn to Life" on the DS.  It got annoying and boring for me immediately.  You sort of do this in the recent game Spore too I suppose, but they completely dropped the ball on that game too IMO. No games I've ever played have come anywhere close to the three above in terms of replayability, creativity, and most importantly, fun.  I thoroughly recommend any of them to imaginative people who enjoy taking the time to create something incredible within a game.
Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:52:50 am by Nate Nukem
#7  December 02, 2008, 04:48:05 am
  • SNK is life
In my dictionary, Epic is spelled shadowofthecolossus. Everything else resembling epicness is automatically compared to it.
#8  December 02, 2008, 12:52:22 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
The Ace Attorney series made me love mystery and solving cases has never been so much fun.

Bea

#9  December 02, 2008, 02:12:00 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
It was this year.

I got Mike Tyson's Punch Out! cart during October and was playing it often. Every time Mr Sandman would crush me mercylessly with is Dreamland Express.
One day, I was talking to a friend about it and how I never could get past Mr Sandman. She told me that if I ever make past him, Super Macho Man would certainly make short use of me due to his Spin Punches.

Decided to test this myself, I plugged the cart and played through Mr. Sandman. He defeated me with ease the two first times.
But third time is a charm, and near the end of round 2, each one of us had two knock downs and he launches Dreamland Express.
I dodged it for the first time ever (and one of the few times I actually managed to dodge it to this day... >.>) and he went down. TKO!

Comes to the ring Super Macho Man, with his hypno boobs and... very slow punches?  ??? He was down before round 1 ended...
The World Circuit champ was defeated so easily I couldn't belive. Something must have been wrong. Turns out that Super Macho Man is a wimp with too many gaps in his defenses. :P

Comes Mike "Kid Dinamite" Tyson. I had a big grin in my face when he TKOed me at 0:28 of round 1.

I always loved Punch Out! Since that, I've been loving it more and more.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#10  December 02, 2008, 02:22:18 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Deus Ex.

'nuff said