YesNoOk

How long does it take you (on average) to make a character? (Read 4323 times)

Started by Kolossoni, October 08, 2019, 10:46:45 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Title.

A few hours.
0 (0%)
A whole day.
0 (0%)
A FEW days.
0 (0%)
A whole month.
3 (12%)
A FEW months.
9 (36%)
Forget months, a year or two!
6 (24%)
I'm never satisfied.
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

How long does it take you (on average) to make a character?
#1  October 08, 2019, 10:46:45 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
It seems like I'm taking way too long to make a character. I dunno if it's incompetance or smth, but how long does it take other content creators to make a character I wonder?  :???:
Re: How long does it take you (on average) to make a character?
#2  October 08, 2019, 01:45:28 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
If anyone is doing that in only a few days or less, I'd have legitimate concerns for quality. Anyway, the average timespan for me is normally 4 to 6 weeks to complete a character, notwithstanding updates or outliers like Sayaka as she was my first attempt that took 6 months.
#3  October 08, 2019, 02:49:58 pm
    • Vietnam
If you have to make a complete new quality spritesheet for your character like KOF ver. Kim Jae Hoon then it may take few month or maybe a year to complete the spritesheet not to mention coding time
#4  October 08, 2019, 07:02:51 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
is that dedicating full time to make a character, or is it counting a couple of hours mostly per day as the majority of grownups can dedicate to mugen?
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  October 08, 2019, 08:53:09 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
XGargoyle presents a good question. I mean, if it is actual total, I suppose it depends on how you can evaluate 3 hours on workdays and 6 to 8 hours on weekends in a span of 4 to 6 weeks would add up to for my case. Which would be a total of roughly 5 to 8 days per character then.
#6  October 09, 2019, 09:01:56 am
6 month for a char have template
1-2 years for a char start from new.

less than this
the char's quality is low
#7  October 13, 2019, 10:21:19 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
5-6 months on average.

I mean, that was back when I had all the time in the world to work on characters.

I had a tendency to use the vast majority of that time doing arcade sessions over and over (to polish hittimes, velocities, damage dampener, bug hunting and to feel how fun the character actually was), testing the damage and length of combos, and watching AI fights, testing new AI codes.

2OS

#8  October 14, 2019, 12:50:33 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
are you doing an accurate conversion?
is it custom?
original character?
original content?
ripping material?
color separation?
starting from scratch?
editing a base?
templates?
is it experimental?

length generally varies by how you answer these questions. original stuff usually takes more time than conversions.

at the end of the day it's not a contest. you're not gonna be penalized for "taking too long".
#9  October 14, 2019, 01:36:27 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
I know for a fact that Ironmugen could have a fully playable character ready in a matter of minutes using his own templates.

An creating the templates probabbly didn't took that long since he mostly made straight up convertions.
#10  October 26, 2019, 11:53:21 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
How good you want it to be plays a part as well. A simple thing where you already know how to do everything and there are no complicated attacks. 24 hours? Maybe a little more. If however you are strapped for time not totally motivated lack or have to source resources etc etc it can take much longer.

Especially if you want it to be good.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#11  December 02, 2019, 03:35:13 pm
wished there is an option "Forever" :P with my slow learning brain, it is gonna take forever for me to make a Mugen character especially source accurate ones such as Original Kaede from Last Blade 2 with all of the Last Blade 2 system gameplay (I was expecting Ohgaki to create him, but he seems to stop making Last Blade characters after his friend, HAL retires from Mugen) plus I have career ahead of me which stop me from continuing  :'(

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#12  December 02, 2019, 06:15:00 pm
  • Niigasan
4-6 months when dedicating about 6 hours out of the day for me. more if i dont feel motivated

DW

#13  December 02, 2019, 06:39:09 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Depends on a lot of factors, like 2OS pointed out. The complexity of the char comes into question as well. For someone really simple, like KFM, it took a little over a month. For Hiryu however, it took about 5-6 months, because of all the goddamn helpers and nuance.

Motivation definitely plays a role as well. Along with work and other stuff. I'd said about 3-4 months on average. With like, a one month minimum, even for the easiest of chars.
#14  December 02, 2019, 07:56:41 pm
  • No guts No glory..
Spriting could take months to years.....blair took me, like 2 years..
Other chars can take a month or two..others 6 months or sio
Put in the picture the real life stuff each one has to deal with(like and my pc recently)
i got some tools and some litle knowledge and i think i am ready to make chars from 3d to 2d more easy and  maybe i can have those chars i want to make faster than the usual...don't get le wrong, characters will take more or less the same but with
better results, on that part time will thell.
CS by exampke can take a month or just a week depending on how deep are you want to go(more CS body parts means more time consuming)...
Another example when i converted leona took 6-7 months
When i ratake her sometime ago took me 2 months to finish