YesNoOk

My Rant on The Fighters Generation (Read 15804 times)

Started by AMultiverseAuthor, May 26, 2020, 02:45:30 pm
Share this topic:
My Rant on The Fighters Generation
#1  May 26, 2020, 02:45:30 pm
    • USA
Am I the only one who thinks negatively of The Fighters Generation and it's admin? I disagree with the majority of his reviews.

I don't like these reviews. Mainly because Frank Yagami is a biased Street Fighter/Tekken/Marvel Comics fanboy. That's why he gives games like Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Bloody Roar, and Injustice so much shit. He shows no mercy to Street Fighter II clones either, even if some aren't as bad as he makes them out to be.

When he reviewed Fighters History he literally stated this: "I don't respect games that rip off Street Fighter II!"

Well, in that case, I can already see this happening, should he review the following:

Sailor Moon S: "This game sucks! It's SFII with Sailor Moon characters in it!"

TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES): "This game sucks! It's SFII with Ninja turtles in it!"

Dark Legend:"This game sucks! It's SFII set in Ancient China!"

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer: "This game sucks! It's SFII with anime power rangers in it!"

Tuff E Nuff: "This game sucks! It's SFII in a post-apocalyptic setting!"

Variable Geo: "This game sucks! It's SFII with an all-female cast!"

Dragoon Might: "This game sucks! It's Konami's poor attempt to rip off SFII! #FuckKonami!"

LMFAO

What bugs me the most are his character reviews. Some of them are just as biased, some of them make no sense, some of them are hypocritical, and some of them are just stupid. (He nagged on Goh from VF calling him a Jin Kazama ripoff just because he wears a hoodie) I'll agree with him that characters like Hsu Hao, Magaki, Demon Gaoh are shit characters though because those characters ARE legit shit.

And speaking of hypocrisy...

>He says Super Smash Bros is not a real fighting game

Then why did he say this in his Bloody Roar 2 review?

"I suppose Bloody Roar 2 would appeal players tired of getting their asses kicked in real fighting games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Street Fighter...."

He put a "non-real" fighting game on his website. It makes no sense. Though I can agree on Bloody Roar 4 getting a 3.3/10 because that one truly is the worst in the series.

So yeah... I think The Fighters Generation is grade A horse shit when it comes to reviews.

What are your thoughts on TFG?
Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:12:57 am by RPGamerWriter
Re: My Rant on The Fighters Generation
#2  May 26, 2020, 03:09:04 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
I don't go there to read, I go there to get pictures.

Seems to be a surefire way to get at least one decent port of a character.
#3  May 26, 2020, 05:42:31 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Well... I like how the site looks. But his opinion on things are just that: HIS opinion, and let's face it... sometimes he can be wrong. Sometimes he can be right..

Take that Fighters History review, for example. It IS a near perfect rip-off of Street Fighter II, right down to the point where Capcom sued Data East... but where I think he fails in these reviews is that he doesn't look deeper then the surface level for some of these games.
#4  May 26, 2020, 06:02:41 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
More often than not you're there for the character/game information anyway.
#5  May 26, 2020, 06:29:14 pm
    • USA
Well... I like how the site looks. But his opinion on things are just that: HIS opinion, and let's face it... sometimes he can be wrong. Sometimes he can be right..

Take that Fighters History review, for example. It IS a near perfect rip-off of Street Fighter II, right down to the point where Capcom sued Data East... but where I think he fails in these reviews is that he doesn't look deeper then the surface level for some of these games.

A ripoff? Yes. Terrible game? Not really. Fighters History was a decent game despite that.

All the games I mentioned may be SFII ripoffs but it's how well they play that counts. The lack of innovation is the only flaw they have. They're playable, but bring nothing new to the table as far as mechanics go.

The only shitty ones in that category would be DDV: The Shadow Falls, Dangerous Streets (from that AVGN episode),  Rise of the Robots, and Brutal: Paws of Fury.
#6  May 26, 2020, 06:33:10 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

The problem is that the guy is prejudiced, and it shows. That "review" is basically "hurr durr its a SF2 ripoff so it sucks". Like, pretty much every fighting game of the time was a SF2 ripoff, and that alone shouldn't really be used to measure the game's quality.
#7  May 26, 2020, 07:11:26 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Most of those sf2-era games weren't very good though
#8  May 27, 2020, 03:16:36 am
    • USA
Most of those sf2-era games weren't very good though

With the exception of TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES) and Sailor Moon S.

Heck, both games made their way into the competitive scene in recent years. The former was in Combo Breaker 2019, and the latter was in EVO 2018.
#9  May 27, 2020, 03:34:35 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
If you don't like his page, you have two options:
1) Avoid it.
2) As you're supercool and such, offer him your generous help to write the reviews, pay the bills of the page and etc.

In other words, don't be stupid like this. I don't like his mark on Tekken 7 because that game while good, is not nearly the perfection he gives to it.
Gameplay Engine     9.5 / 10 -----------------> Ok, it's tekken. Always been good in this.
Story / Theme     7.0 / 10 -----------------------> I've been generous giving the story a 5.
Overall Graphics     9.5 / 10-----------------> While good, EVERYONE IS PLASTICDOLL.
Animation     9.5 / 10 -----------------------> Agree.
Music / Sound Effects     9.0 / 10 ----------> WORST TEKKEN MUSIC EVER.
Innovation     8.5 / 10  ----------------------> Adding Rage art and the other stuff is not enough.
Art Direction     8.5 / 10 -----------------------> Does he talks about the quantity of artwork?
Customization     9.0 / 10 -----------------------> Everyone's craft is common except few things. Tekken 6 was SUPERIOR at this.
Options / Extras     9.0 / 10 -----------------> Pfffff....xDDDD.
Intro / Presentation     8.0 / 10  ----------------> Which intro? remix of previous Tekkens?
Replayability / Fun     10 / 10 ------------------> I'm a core Tekken player and I've lost interest in few combats.
"Ouch" Factor     9.5 / 10 ------------------------> I could agree.
Characters     9.5 / 10 ------------------------> you can unlock them by paying. OF CURZZZZZZ!!

But hey, the guy decided to play THOSE games and make a review. Far more than you or I have done.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#10  May 27, 2020, 03:59:06 am
    • Mexico
That site is only good to snatch up gifs LOL

Well, maybe not even that, to be honest. Some like Jedah's crouch animation are way slower than they should be, and you can tell that by comparing the gif with actual in-game footage or the MUGEN characters around. But some of them are still good in quality.

That's the only reason why I even bother going through that site. Because yes, his reviews are garbo, such as giving 5 stars to Marco Rodrigues just because he looks like some teacher the guy had; or how he goes full fanboy over Rock and K',.
Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:05:09 am by Nemuresu
#11  May 27, 2020, 05:44:34 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Holy shit, TFG is still ongoing?  I remember being a frequent visitor during the PS2 days.

And he still hasn't added Eretzvaju/Evilzone to the database c'mon you reviewed even lesser known snes stuff what gives....what no Power Rangers or Them's Fighting Herds too you are such a fighting fanatic flimflamming fraud a pox on you!

Also lol at his Kage review.  Here's to another decade.
#12  May 27, 2020, 09:27:13 am
My first fighting game website that I first visited somewhere in 2002 or 2003. I remember when I started out fighting games in between those two years, I always use those characters that Mr. Yagami put his "Franks Favorite" logo on certain characters' profile and Games section (I wish for that logo to be put back on his newer review), those characters and games were pretty fun when I played it. I have nothing against his rating on certain characters and games. Nowadays, he always like to favor towards Namco's games especially Tekken and Soul Calibur series. Like some of the other fighting games, he has not review yet and he has quickly reviewed his favorite series first especially Tekken and Soul Calibur series (Just take a look at Fighting EX Layer and Soul Calibur 6), that puts me off  :( Still, I enjoy visiting his site from time to time  :)

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
New #13  May 27, 2020, 09:29:29 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
What no Power Rangers or Them's Fighting Herds too you are such a fighting fanatic flimflamming fraud a pox on you!

The Fighters Generation was created solely for fighting games: those titles which helped to create or shape the genre in an impactful way. While I do appreciate his efforts into bringing light all the games that exist, he has a "no-celebrity-policy" that kind of puts me off. The Def Jam fighting games and Celebrity Deathmatch, I get it wholeheartedly - even I think having big names like Marilyn Manson on the site feels out of place.

But then we get to Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid, Them Fightin' Herds, Sailor Moon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters, Pokken Tournament, Super Smash Bros. The common trait: they're all video games that seem catered to children, did not start out as a fighting game, or encompasses too many other genres to make it look more than just a fighting game. Regarding Smash, the webmaster did acknowledge the fact of the latter, citing that Ryu, Ken, Megaman and Terry making the roster is quite an honor, especially since 3rd party invites would not begin until Brawl. My main concern is that the existing entrants make the website feel elitist, like an inner circle. He would have to be blown away with an interest he can not refuse such as a highly original and interesting character who feels like they belong in a fighting game, an innovative way of fighting that impacts the genre, or something that rivals his current favorites.

I have nothing against his site. His games directory has helped me quite a bit with my fan game, bringing me to titles I've never heard of and characters to review for move lists, behavior and strategy, and it's been around for 20 years. If I ever get a chance to interview him (provided I overcome my slurred speech problems), I would like to ask him more about his views on fighting games in general.
Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:01:57 pm by no1wammy
#14  May 27, 2020, 10:40:35 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Am I the only one who thinks negatively of The Fighters Generation and it's admin? I disagree with the majority of his reviews.

I don't like these reviews. Mainly because Frank Yagami is a biased Street Fighter/Tekken/Marvel Comics fanboy. That's why he gives games like Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Bloody Roar, and Injustice so much shit. He shows no mercy to Street Fighter II clones either, even if some aren't as bad as he makes them out to be.

When he reviewed Fighters History he literally stated this: "I don't respect games that rip off Street Fighter II!"

Is there more to this admin other than his reviews? Like may be abusing his admin privileges or invalidating anyone who has a different opinion.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#15  May 27, 2020, 10:42:14 pm
  • SNK is life
Mang, every review site has their own opinion. This dude's opinions are bad.

But the site itself is a good place to get quick resources, so if you can ignore his ramblings you'll find the site more useful :P
#16  May 27, 2020, 11:09:47 pm
    • USA
the site's a resource hole but the guy runing it is a ahole
#17  May 28, 2020, 05:14:09 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I don't go there to read, I go there to get pictures.
This, I usually go there if I need to fill my VG gallery collection, not anymore for the reviews or his POV (which it sucks)

Do you want to read something funny? In Gai Tendo page, there're sprites of my CVS2 Gai, he got them when I was spriting him for the Mugen Hispania's CVS fullgame project (several years before KOFXI was made). He probably got some of my sprite edits there too, I can assure you that XD

And he still hasn't added Eretzvaju/Evilzone to the database c'mon you reviewed even lesser known snes stuff what gives....what no Power Rangers or Them's Fighting Herds too you are such a fighting fanatic flimflamming fraud a pox on you!
This is one of the reasons I stopped to care about the site anymore, because the guy put the games he knew and nothing more. I mean, there's nothing about Power Instinct, Variable Geo, ClayFighter or Melty Blood, which are very known series. And won't be there in the future for sure

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#18  May 28, 2020, 05:39:42 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Fighting Herds isn't for children. That's like saying Skullgirls is because it's colorful, or Pocket Fighter is because the characters all look young. (Reply to no1wammy)
#19  May 28, 2020, 04:19:57 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Fighting Herds isn't for children.
The series it was originally based on was before Hasbro cut the cord and said series' creator herself had a hand with making the designs for Herds so there's that.
#20  May 28, 2020, 04:42:26 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
The site is better nowadays after an extensive cleanup, used to be there were large whatabout its about characters being gay and thus he hating them. Dunno when he cleaned them up but I noticed they were gone from hsi reviews of characters like Ash and Remy.