YesNoOk

B-kun's old sprited WIPs (Read 4440 times)

Started by Basara Lapis, August 17, 2022, 04:24:31 am
B-kun's old sprited WIPs
#1  August 17, 2022, 04:24:31 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

When I started on MUGEN on the 2000s, I went more on the spriter side than the coder one. And I got various projects that became characters, mostly my original ones as Eric, Gai Tendou, Blizzard and XXX, as well various chars with edited sprites like Reiji Oyama and even the resprite of Scott Pilgrim years before the sprites were ripped.

But I got other projects that I couldn't finish and kept store in my PC for years. Now, I want to show you some of those old projects of mine which I would want to become characters but never passed the finished line...

1. Buriki One Ryo Sakazaki
I'm a huge fan of Buriki One and even I could play it for real once in my country, which was the reason to make my own version of his protagonist Gai Tendou for MUGEN basing on CVS Joe Higashi and with my own knowledge of the character years before SNK would make it real with KOFXI. Same with Ryo, who also appeared in this game as an older version based on AOF, but since I don't like much Ryo's look in CVS2 I made heavy edits of him to look more as in B1, even I planned to make him like in that game, depowered but with some advantage on his moves (think about Fuuma in AODK). I made like 30 sprites of him, some of them incomplete (mostly the shoulders part) but in the end I lost interest and I cancelled him...

And since it's based on that timeline, I made this intro with Marco Rodriguez in a similar way than Kasumi Todoh with his father in CVS2 (and based on the rumour of Ryo as Mr. Karate II appearing in Garou 2)

Well, I'm gonna post my other projects later to dedicate an entire post to everyone of them, since these are more than edits, they have a story behind them... and I don't just want to show but tell you that story ;) I hope you like this

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
Re: B-kun's old sprited WIPs
#2  August 17, 2022, 09:21:50 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I like !
I did such an edit in the past (without the sleeves)
I'm not even sure I can access it now.

also, I love to play in "simul" mode in mugen with both characters, particularly for their winposes together ! :)
#3  August 18, 2022, 12:19:12 am
    • Chile

Thanks :D There's another 3D recreation I wanted to make but was way too experimental for those years...

2. Batsu Ichimonji
Since like 1-2 years ago, there's a fully sprited Batsu (don't know who made it first) based on the CVS2's Kyosuke striker, with various versions in CVS, MVC and POTS style... but back in the 2000s that wasn't even a thing, only mere sprite edits. There I want to make something and I started my own project using ROTD Jimmy as base with some of SFA Charlie (part of pants and shoes) and manual editing for head and body. It as critizised then because "it wasn't the same than CVS2" but I didn't care much, I only wanted to recreate Batsu in some way to MUGEN, and Jimmy had good part of Batsu moves that I could recreate, so I started there. But it as too much work in a single sprite and got frustrated with the spriting as well the "hurr it's-not-CVS durr" comments, so I ended cancelling it eventually. I made much less sprites of him than B1 Ryo, like 10 aprox, and a feeeling of not being enough spriter to make a project like that...

The first one was the first sprite of him, which I changed it for the one on the title, and the last one was the Taiyo Team with Kyosuke and Hinata, which in those times it was a WIP there and only sprites and anims were shown before Hinata was finished. As a side note, with the recent Batsu releases of his new sprites, maybe I can reignite my dream to make my own version of Batsu as in 2000s, with the difference I don't have to do this work anymore and only I can code him... maybe I can do it sometime...

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#4  August 18, 2022, 01:24:55 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
One more thing I like!
This Batsu looks way more "close" to How Batsu should look IMO.

What I wish is the "base" POTS Batsu sprites that exist, to be tweaked into this style

He still have some very Kyosuke-ish animations and sprites.
#5  August 18, 2022, 08:56:41 pm
    • Chile

I would like to get some of the skills of actual spriters to get this thing done once for all, but at least I can make my own version now...

OK, today is the turn of one of my original characters, created at the same time than Eric but I couldn't finish at all...

3. Kenji Sagara
An OC I made when I started which is a sprite edit of MOTW Rock Howard, which I manually painted and make his own personality to avoid being one of those Rock clones in the 2000s. A rebel kid who's also a fire user, but with the difference his flames are green (inspired by Doom games) who is in constant training to control his powers. He was created before I even managed how to code MUGEN, thinking to be the first green fire user for MUGEN, but later appeared The Supreme's Scylla and of course Ash Crimson. Different from those 2, my character would have Capcom FX, having the fireball and big flame from Marvel vs. version of Dhalsim (since XvSF), both his special and super moves respectively and with sprites modified by me, of course.

As with B1 Ryo, he had like 30-40 sprites done, even he became one of my main projects in my beginnings as you can see in the WIP page of my first old site, even he got is own Card Fighters Clash's card as I did with Eric. Also, I made a special mark in his jacket, based on this Los Prisioneros cover, one of my musical influences and for me this is one of the best albums of the band ever. And also I made a big portrait for him based on Garou's intro which became one of my best edited works back then. The other image is the GF-Liberation, the super move when Kenji releases all his power on the enemy.

In the end, I lost inspiration and had no time to continue him... in recent years the idea could be reborn thanks to the CS made for CVS Rock, which makes me remake this only with a palette change instead of manual editing, but I still got a special place in my heart to the original one... an idea like this would work on 2020s?? Who knows...
(sorry for the last imgur images, maybe later I'll upload them to my site)