YesNoOk

A Most Belated, But No Less Arbitrary MUGEN AI Tournament? (Read 92655 times)

Started by SerbianYugoThief, October 06, 2020, 09:38:22 pm
Share this topic:
A Most Belated, But No Less Arbitrary MUGEN AI Tournament?
#1  October 06, 2020, 09:38:22 pm
  • Absolutely Disgusting
  • ?????
    • USA
Question mark in the title because who knows what the interest will be, especially given that I'm rather late this time around, but hey, can't know unless I try.

Bit of explanation for the few who might've been following these tournaments and wondering where I've been: I typically post invitations for this around May or so, but early in the year, my hard drive died, and I figured it was about time I replaced my PC anyway. Due to COVID, it took some time for my parts to arrive, and when they finally did, I spent some time breaking the new PC in. Then, when I felt about ready to make a post to gauge interest in another tournament, my brand new PSU failed spectacularly, leaving me once again without a PC for an extended period of time.
With that all out of the way, though, I'll throw my hat in the ring for the fourth time and see if there's enough people interested in these shenanigans to justify another AI tournament.

Summary for the uninitiated:
16 teams of 4 AI-controlled characters are set to fight in a ladder format, best two out of three.

Settings:
MUGEN 1.0
8 Difficulty
100% Life
80 second timer
DrKelexo's Alien Soldier screenpack because it's awesome and not gaudy.

Rules/Whatnot:
- No overpowered characters, naturally. The definition of this is of course subjective, but I think I can reasonably come to a conclusion on what's too strong. There'll probably be discrepancies in character strengths, but that's MUGEN, baby!
- No characters that generally befuddle the average AI, such as those that are exceptionally small or have constant super armor (I'll actually stand by this rule this time; no cursors need apply).
- Your characters should have at least reasonable AI. It's not the most exciting watching two potatoes bounce around for 80 seconds.
- Please link to characters (and AI patches, if you deem them necessary).
- Also provide a team name, specific palettes if desired, and the order in which you want your team to take, as well as any specific grooves/modes they may come with, otherwise they will be random.
- You may change team members and team names up until the last participant submits their team.

Assuming 16 people (be they on or off-site) are interested, the entire tournament will be uploaded as one video (probably, just to avoid clutter) to Youtube with only the minimum required editing. I promise no "wacky" effects, commentary, or fanfictiony plot nonsense. I'll plug a team of my own in if need be to reach the cap.

The list of current teams may unceremoniously be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T0qomfhybaVW_5Z7rjp-wdRuOyk9hAYicolU9BioS6Y/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:51:24 pm by SerbianYugoThief
Re: A Most Belated, But No Less Arbitrary MUGEN AI Tournament?
#2  October 07, 2020, 02:22:40 am
  • Amateur Writer
  • Basically, I do palettes.
    • USA
I had an idea at one point to work out a base team of characters to compare off of, like a rule stick. Using that you could run the measuring team with each entry in the tourney to see where they stand. Even giving them an average rank such as A-, B+, C, Etc.

I use a similar method to make teams to participate in these tourneys, but the same could be applied to the host. I believe it could lead to much more entertaining matches, at the cost of a later release if you wanted to sift out the low tiers using this method.

Understandably, just a suggestion.

Here is my team regardless:

Team Hey That's Me!
Akuma Good Ghost by beterhans
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/djbc0cvtdcmtb/
Yuri by P.o.t.S. (Kimimaro AI) Honestly don't remember where I got this one but here is a mirror already patched.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wgcrlug5u09rk3j/Yuri.zip/file
Rashou Mon by KazeSayu
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKVDZR-qD0Sja38&id=CF5B98401B907547!115&cid=CF5B98401B907547
Mech Hisui by Sennou-Room (Holn AI)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjmNk5nC1nH-gQwO0T7KsgbKXRY2
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7BB50F9EA9D9BECD%21105&cid=7BB50F9EA9D9BECD
#3  October 08, 2020, 07:46:41 pm
  • Absolutely Disgusting
  • ?????
    • USA
I had an idea at one point to work out a base team of characters to compare off of, like a rule stick. Using that you could run the measuring team with each entry in the tourney to see where they stand. Even giving them an average rank such as A-, B+, C, Etc.

I use a similar method to make teams to participate in these tourneys, but the same could be applied to the host. I believe it could lead to much more entertaining matches, at the cost of a later release if you wanted to sift out the low tiers using this method.

I've done something similar in the past, but never so formally; I think being more consistent with it is definitely a good idea, though. I'll try to construct a decent base team with previous tournaments in mind.
#4  October 08, 2020, 08:07:00 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#5  October 08, 2020, 11:06:32 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

I've done something similar in the past, but never so formally; I think being more consistent with it is definitely a good idea, though. I'll try to construct a decent base team with previous tournaments in mind.

I've always tended to stick with just what mechanics said characters have for balance and if said AI uses them, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea either for future mugen AI tournament/whatever endeavors. Speaking of which I've noticed that good ghost has an unpunishable resurrection that happens every time he gets knocked down the first time let alone that he seems to get power in a time warp. As much as I love rashou mon he does have that instakill of toki's.
#6  October 08, 2020, 11:52:01 pm
  • Amateur Writer
    • USA

I've always tended to stick with just what mechanics said characters have for balance and if said AI uses them, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea either for future mugen AI tournament/whatever endeavors. Speaking of which I've noticed that good ghost has an unpunishable resurrection that happens every time he gets knocked down the first time let alone that he seems to get power in a time warp. As much as I love rashou mon he does have that instakill of toki's.

Really? I haven't seen that resurrection happen in my experience. That's disappointing. I'll see if I can find some replacements if Serbian is against these. Which I assume he would be
Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:19:24 am by Realra
#7  October 09, 2020, 02:17:00 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Really? I haven't seen that resurrection happen in my experience. That's disappointing. I'll see if I can find some replacements if Serbian is against these. Which I assume he would be

Yea, he does it every time in turns but not for singles for whatever reason.
#8  October 13, 2020, 07:40:18 am

Yea, he does it every time in turns but not for singles for whatever reason.

wah... I guess I did this because I want he to be a boss character in turns for some reason.

trigger conditions (as i remember haha)

1. in turns (always)
2. in 2 vs 2 and partner is my chun-li and chun-li dies 1st. and(may be) in normal mode not super mode

after resurrecti
he change to super mode (ATK up and more moves) instead normal mode.

but i guess only my normal morrigan can be qualified since all my other works is 1.1 only.

#9  October 14, 2020, 06:07:53 pm
    • USA
Why not just do a tournament with real people??
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#10  October 14, 2020, 06:23:39 pm
#11  October 14, 2020, 06:43:12 pm
    • USA
You mean "woke" EVO and "Woke Capcom?" No thanks haha. I'm just teasing. But to answer your question there's no human interest for MUGEN/IKEMEN GO tournaments. I think one of the reasons is because many people are still only using MUGEN, forgetting IKEMEN GO has a lot going on for it. Such as online play, and it works exactly the same as MUGEN but with more stuff and better features. Although one can argue parsec and Mugen work, I personally dont like Parsec and it lags badly for me. (I'm going off topic so I'll exit the conversation now)
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#12  October 14, 2020, 09:02:14 pm
It's sad to think like that, I think it's demeaning for Mugen because it's also a fighting game that can be played professionally like any other and in addition it has a lot of potential (some mugen gameplay even has more potential than some existing fighting games on console). If there were more people interested in playing online, some mugen tournaments could be just as epic as tournaments like the Capcom pro cup.
#13  October 14, 2020, 09:26:00 pm
  • Absolutely Disgusting
  • ?????
    • USA
Sorry for the slow replies. Been juggling some job app stuff and I wanted to give the thread some time to test multiple teams in one go anyway.

Team Hey That's Me!

Akuma seems to be for MUGEN 1.1, unless I'm missing a 1.0 .def in his files. I'll readily confess that it's kinda silly that I'm still behind a version, but I've just had too much compatibility trouble with 1.1 (although I could try to set up a separate game on 1.1 for the purposes of the tournament). And I'd really like to let Rashou Mon through, but his instakill does concern me. Yuri and Hisui are a-okay, though.

ill sumbit my team

This team is all good to go, though I need a name, and is that the order you'd like them in?
#14  October 15, 2020, 12:41:44 am
  • Amateur Writer
    • USA
Sorry for the slow replies. Been juggling some job app stuff and I wanted to give the thread some time to test multiple teams in one go anyway.

Team Hey That's Me!

Akuma seems to be for MUGEN 1.1, unless I'm missing a 1.0 .def in his files. I'll readily confess that it's kinda silly that I'm still behind a version, but I've just had too much compatibility trouble with 1.1 (although I could try to set up a separate game on 1.1 for the purposes of the tournament). And I'd really like to let Rashou Mon through, but his instakill does concern me. Yuri and Hisui are a-okay, though.

Well let me know, I'll find a replacement for Akuma in the meantime.
#15  October 17, 2020, 07:24:20 pm
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org

#16  October 19, 2020, 04:11:17 am
  • Palette Maker + 1.1 Stage Conversion Maestro
    • USA
    • xtremeregime.weebly.com
#17  October 19, 2020, 04:21:00 am
  • Suika cute
    • sites.google.com/site/roysquadrocks/
#18  October 19, 2020, 08:56:02 pm
  • Absolutely Disgusting
  • ?????
    • USA
Meldo and Roy's teams are all good to go.

Team Name: Rebellion
I do hate to say it, but I'm afraid this team is overall a bit too powerful. Each of them have some impressive damage output, and Athena is unusually tanky to boot.
#19  October 19, 2020, 10:04:53 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:01:49 pm by Synck
#20  October 19, 2020, 10:11:48 pm
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
You know what? You know what? Let's get this.

TEAMNAME: Morning Glory -
1. Joe by Dawn de Era, dronk, TheFclass97, Synck :)
2. Luise Meyrink by Blue Blood and Glasses (maybe, the readme was kinda weird but thats what it said on the site)
3. Wheelchair Guy by LilyBreez, edited by Dawn de Era :))
4. Kinyo Roadshow by The_None

link lol: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4jzi820atlz7fxe/Morning_Glory.zip/file