YesNoOk

Looking out the best method for starting drawing fighting game sprites (Read 6585 times)

Started by AleF2050, August 03, 2022, 05:02:10 pm
Looking out the best method for starting drawing fighting game sprites
#1  August 03, 2022, 05:02:10 pm
    • Italy
Long time ago i started learning to draw at a serious intention by around 2020 which drawing my favourite anime characters had me want to try to get further to learn fundamentals, but as for pixel art, i used to fiddle around with it doing simple small sprites, but i no longer do that really.
Recently, i've been passing time learning how to draw with my digital tablet (a screen one) as i'm currently inspecting courses on the internet, some paid, while recently as i've been getting into fighter games i've been growing a want of trying to use my digital tablet to draw larger pixel art just like i would draw on paper (ok, not paper as in the material BUT i meant directly drawing pixels with a stylus).
I did however attempt studying once from one of my favourite pixel artists (@sakuemonq from Twitter) whom used a cel pixel art style in which i've realized now that it seems based off Under Night In-Birth's sprites, but smaller, and was using my own mouse to try to draw out body shapes based on my current knowledge.

HOWEVER, that was months ago, and never finished it because i never had a proper habit in touching up details in a steady enough speed due to too much guesswork. As of now, i just attempted using my digital screen tablet on Aseprite to experiment on making a original Capcom CPS2 styled sprite, with only being able to capture the structure for the sketch but what's not easy is trying to recognizing the shading system. I kept the sketching lines around as it's currently engulfed in a colored mess. It was just an attempt after all, but i should have sticked on working on way less detailed sprites due to Capcom's very vibrant character and detail design.

Would be nice however to see other people's processes on how they make medium size sprites for fighting games, alongside how to find poses that would help me keep away from forcing myself to draw from imagination.
Re: Looking out the best method for starting drawing fighting game sprites
#2  August 04, 2022, 11:24:46 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I think it would be easier us to guide you if you put some of your works. This way and saying what style you're aiming for, we could give you better pointers on what to do. I ALWAYS suggest to take a view on Kiwi's awesome tutorials:

https://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/

Have fun! And don't doubt on asking for help!
I swear there was something cool here!!
Re: Looking out the best method for starting drawing fighting game sprites
New #3  August 04, 2022, 02:41:21 pm
    • Italy
I think it would be easier us to guide you if you put some of your works. This way and saying what style you're aiming for, we could give you better pointers on what to do. I ALWAYS suggest to take a view on Kiwi's awesome tutorials:

https://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/

Have fun! And don't doubt on asking for help!

Oh pardon, i first kept everything hidden, but i'll show some past work right here, all unfinished tough starting from older to newer. The first two were done with mouse while the latest one was done with my Huion Kamvas '16. The poses were all done from imagination.

This one was supposed to be a complete spriting from scratch using one of Sakuemonq's existing sprite work. I recall i've done a video recording of this piece for myself, and to say it took like at least an hour or something to do this.

Amiya from Arknights, done in the same style. Also unfinished because from there i started wondering too much on how i'd do the clothes. As you can see, i kind of struggle thinking on how to sprite clothes. :/

Months later until now, i decided to settle again, and this is where i am right now. Using a graphics tablet with Aseprite i kinda had the feeling of drawing on a pixel screen, just like how sprite artists in the 90s did back then. The first thing i've done here was to draft the whole structure trying to base off the tracing i've done on Cammy's SFA3 sprite, but then it was not supposed to match the exact proportions, but was to try to help out with drawing the body's form. One thing i have to yet finish is the head which looks something off from a very crappy sprite from the 2000s.

Compared to Sakuemonq's Under Night-esque style, SFA3 has a kind of style that i cannot embrace so easily due to the highly tiny details incorporated into it, especially the eyes are full of palette shmuck right there.

Yeah, stuff like this do take time however. X_X

EDIT: Forgot to add some other info.
Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:18:25 pm by AleF2050