YesNoOk

Why do you hate compilations? (Read 6938 times)

Started by GeorgeMP, October 22, 2019, 10:02:15 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Why do you hate compilations?
#21  October 24, 2019, 04:01:47 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
My pa always warned me bout da Compilations. Always said never to step out at night cuz dey could get ya fer der organ harvestin.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox

TiE

#22  October 24, 2019, 07:06:09 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Compilations are okay for starters, I'd say.
If you don't have a real idea what mugen is, a compilation can get you on the way and help you understand the basic setup of a roster.

Doing a compilation can be tedious. Everybody who fills a bigger roster knows. Tweaking composing, finding fitting stuff, etc.
But for me this also bears the problem.
Your "best of the best" might be my "crap - at best".
So in the end your roster is a compilation, too.

People who are frequently active on a forum usually do the composing part themselves.
Others, who make profit or just want an "all in one" collection don't give a damn and soon vanish after their threads and whining about having no time and not being good at this stuff get ignored.

I don't hate compilations. Just the idiots compiling those for fame and glory which is not theirs to take at all.

The rest has been said better than I could.

[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff

GOH

#23  October 30, 2019, 06:37:41 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
The real question here is

why must we suffer
#24  October 30, 2019, 07:27:57 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com

Compilations are a bitch ass motherfucker, they pissed on my wife
this website is stupid
#25  October 31, 2019, 01:24:27 am
You have to have waay to much time on your hands to be annoyed with mugen in general let-alone someones comp lol.
I or anyone else for that matter can use what we want, fuck off.

I have my pots build if you will, but fuck me there's more stuff I want to use and have fun with.
An example for this would D-cat's TMNT chars, they don't fit in my pots build but if I have an all out mugen I'll defo use them.

Raaja's SF3, Z2, some kof chars I like, jojo stuff etc.
Lots of quality stuff for people to use. You cant blame anyone for having a comp.
#26  October 31, 2019, 03:48:43 am
  • If you rip sprites i´ll rip your code
    • Mexico
    • www.m3xweb.260mb.com
I don't hate compilations, it's an interesting way to adquire Some unknown creations at the moment and good source material untouched.

I hate when users profit with those games and i hate the most when they are unoptimized throwing all components as it, like general sparks aembeded on the motif and every character having it's own sparks included also.

Untouched material compilations vs unoptimized games as compilations.
There is no knowledge that is not power
--------------------------------------
My Web Site
#27  November 04, 2019, 07:47:50 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I love compilations...

...the ones I made by myself, of course...

...especially with my own chars XD

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#28  November 04, 2019, 08:17:51 pm
  • Rurouni Fan
  • The dream is nothing yet drive us to the end.
    • www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWlQGjKyJWoXxMR8nrea7P4R9C0JnA-_
Two reasons:
- The guy literally does nothing but put together stages/chars/screenpack - "Hi guys. Look at MY game."
- Make a profit from the work of others.
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#29  November 04, 2019, 09:19:05 pm
  • It's the end for villians
    • Mexico
    • www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en
Compilations to some are great cause many chars are amazingly made already and maybe its already what you'd want and that's ok.  But there's no point to HATE them or the people who do like em. But I completely agree with that person being totally wrong if he started saying "Look at MY GAME I MADE" then yes I'd be like "No you didin't you just compiled that in day."  A compilation just means you compiled something and that's it. 

It's only "Your game" if you made absolutely everything yourself.

To me, It's also ok to call it your "build" when it's a massive overhaul.  Like you actually customized almost everything, screenpack, select screens, intros, all on photoshop creating images and artwork. Giving all chars brand new edits (from lets say Mouser's chars) whether they be new sprites, new moves, new animations, new everything and adding brand new stages etc.  Like actually adding brand new custom content that you made, taking months even years to finish a build... downloading chars in putting them in a def file doesn't count as you making anything.

But i see nothing wrong with using existing work for bases, as long as you never lie and tell people that it is all done by you alone and you credit everyone and thank everyone and shout out to them.  Even if your shout out is a 10 page read me file it's still respectable and necessary to credit everyone for the right reasons.

To be honest I don't get the people who make mugens TOTALLY from scratch... like why don't you just make your own game on Unity or Cocos2DX and actually get paid forreal if you gonna do ALL the work from the ground up like that?   That's a lot of labor, you gonna wanna get paid..

Buy DBZ / Street Fighter shirts here. Compra camisetas de DBZ y King of Fighters aqui. www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en
#30  November 07, 2019, 02:21:05 am
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
I have my own "compilation" project that i've been working on, but I've done more than put characters and stages and shit in.

I edit all the stages, the characters sprites, modify the screenpacks myself. I don't plan on ever really publicly sharing it. As getting permission from dozens upon dozens of authors for proper publication is impossible (especially since alot of those are foreign authors from Chinese/Japanese sites).

And i've discovered some rare Chinese/Japanese created stages/characters in compilations that I've found scattered across the net on foreign sites. Foreign Mugen boards are much more open to releasing compilations, Baidu has it's own dedicated page with some really nice ones. But they're hard to download due to them being pan.baidu links.

I feel like, compilations would be more well received if people put more effort into them than just "Adding stages and characters and claiming it as THEIR game"

It's not YOUR game, it's something you put together sure, but they're other peoples works. If you edit everything to certain extents, than at best they are "edits".
#31  November 07, 2019, 09:44:49 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
^This is my major problem with compilations.  Many of them are a mish mash of various authors' content that it becomes a jumbled mess.  It honestly grinds my gears when the compilation creator proceeds to say something like "Hey guys!  I made a Mugen game!  Check it out!"

Not to mention the bad name compilations tends to give Mugen as a whole.  Many people outside of the community often only know Mugen through poorly made compilations and skews their impression of the engine.

That brings me to another point where some people complain about Mugen as a whole because it has broken or dumb shit.  Like what the fuck, don't download it into your roster then?  Nothing's stopping them from excluding those characters, but people whose only hands on exposure to Mugen is through compilations wouldn't have learned that.

Call me an elitist, but I honestly think people should just construct one's own personal compilation from scratch, starting from the base roster of Kung Fu Man, and working their way up to a full personalized roster of characters, stages, and various motifs segments.  You learn a lot more about how to work with configuring things on your own that way.
#32  November 08, 2019, 05:32:52 am
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
^This is my major problem with compilations.  Many of them are a mish mash of various authors' content that it becomes a jumbled mess.  It honestly grinds my gears when the compilation creator proceeds to say something like "Hey guys!  I made a Mugen game!  Check it out!"

Not to mention the bad name compilations tends to give Mugen as a whole.  Many people outside of the community often only know Mugen through poorly made compilations and skews their impression of the engine.

That brings me to another point where some people complain about Mugen as a whole because it has broken or dumb shit.  Like what the fuck, don't download it into your roster then?  Nothing's stopping them from excluding those characters, but people whose only hands on exposure to Mugen is through compilations wouldn't have learned that.

Call me an elitist, but I honestly think people should just construct one's own personal compilation from scratch, starting from the base roster of Kung Fu Man, and working their way up to a full personalized roster of characters, stages, and various motifs segments.  You learn a lot more about how to work with configuring things on your own that way.

Exactly this. So many compilations ive tried just to look for new stages etc, are really bad. Unbalanced rosters (mixture of normal and OP characters), bad stages, different sized characters etc. No effort at all.

When I try to talk to my friends about Mugen and introduce them to it, the typical response is "Oh that shitty fighting game ripoff with crappy characters?" It's really disheartening.

Alot of people can't be bothered with actually assembling their own Mugen, they'd much rather be lazy and just use a pre-made mugen, even if it's bad. Building your own from scratch is extremely fulfilling. Especially if you personalize it. I use characters with the niceset looking sprites, smoothest flowing gameplay and least amount of problems. And trust me, those are NOT easy to find. I've been changing up my roster for over 2 years since I started seriously building a proper Mugen. Because new characters, stages and screenpacks come out. Ever since I did, i've learned alot of about mugen coding. From how to modify certain things in characters and how to edit stages properties etc, even how to change up lifebars and screenpacks myself.

I don't create any real content for Mugen, the only things I can really do are portraits, but I'm really proud of my personal Mugen.

Mugen deserves a much better rep than it does, and as vgma2 said, it's bad compilations and crappy god characters that give it that bad rep. And...also some people in it's community...but that's a whole 'nother discussion.