YesNoOk

Nickelodeon's TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (Read 12856 times)

Started by Ailynn, November 18, 2012, 11:32:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Nickelodeon's TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
#21  November 21, 2012, 07:57:05 pm
80's Cartoon wasn't?
What did I say to lead to this question ?
They wanted to make this show for kids (and by that I mean MODERN kids, not kids from 30 years ago), so they thought "April would be good as a teenager". It doesn't mean everything for kids needs to have teens (although it kind of does in a way), it only means they made April a teen because they hoped kids would like it better. It's not a statement about how everything should be, it's only an explanation for why they made one particular change.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:01:56 pm by DKDC
#22  November 21, 2012, 08:02:22 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Every cartoon that is succeded by the previous always have some changes.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#23  November 21, 2012, 08:31:14 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Thanks for the clarification, Uche.
#24  November 21, 2012, 08:34:15 pm
that's not really a clarification because "cartoon that is succeded by the previous" makes no fucking sense in this context
#25  November 21, 2012, 08:35:29 pm
It doesn't in any context ever, either.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#26  November 22, 2012, 09:57:13 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • MtF Transgender
    • USA
Wow...if I was involved with making this show with as much love these guys have been putting into it, some of these comments would nearly break my heart.

"THE THREE TOES" DEBATE:

In their original Mirage design, they always had 3 toes on each foot...it's just that the third one was on the back of their heel, which always kind of bugged me. Secondly, they have 3 fingers...so why wouldn't they have 3 toes? The toes were the first thing I noticed, and I quickly thought, "You know, I actually like that better." Their feet certainly look more like those of a true turtle that way, in my opinion.

"THE VOICES SUCK" DEBATE:

Really? I honestly LOVE the new voices, all around. This is my favorite voice cast aside from the 2007 animated film.

Leonardo: Jason Biggs  -  Plays a serious Leo well when needed, but also the inexperienced 15-year side who still has to gain respect from his brothers. I have a hard time even hearing this voice as the same guy from American Pie.

Raphael: Sean Astin  -  Does a fantastic job showing Raph's eagerness for action and penchant for sarcasm, but also shows his hidden softer side without dropping the tough attitude. He's a much better actor as Raphael than as Samwise Gamgee, in my opinion.

Michelangelo: Greg Cripes  -  The voice of Beast Boy from Teen Titans. I've never really been a fan of Mikey...until this rendition. He's like the little brother who is full of heart, but often feels left out due to his immaturity. I haven't yet cringed at any of his lines, and that says a lot compared to Mikeys of the past for me. He's actually funny, and I love him in this series.

Donatello: Rob Paulsen  -  As the voice-actor of Raphael in the original 80's animated show, this guy was born to play Donny in my opinion, and fits him way better than being cast as Raph. By far my favorite voice actor ever for the character.

Splinter: Hoon Lee  -  This guy has made me actually really like Splinter, another character I never really cared for from the other series. Gone is the decrepit grand-fatherly figure of the past...here we see Splinter as a proud, capable, and even intimidating martial artist master. He is a strict teacher, but also still shows heart as a father figure. I can now believe that Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki were bitter rivals and equals in battle. By far the best version ever of the character.

April O'neil: Mae Whitman  -  The voice of Katara in Avatar: The Last Airbender as well as the actress that played evil-ex Roxy Richter in the Scott Pilgrim film, so far she hasn't had a whole lot to do yet...but I think her voice is just fine for the younger April of this series.

The Shredder: Kevin Michael Richardson  -  This guy has done a lot of voicework, and I think he does a great voice for the serious and imposing version of Shredder of this series. Not a trace of humor in his voice...he's a dark master who you do NOT want to disappoint while under his employ.

The series has also had some other very well known actors lending their talents:

Frank Welker - The voice of the original 80's Megatron. A legend in the industry.
Lewis Black - Perfect for portraying an obnoxiously irritating NewYorker who tests Raph's patience.
Phil Lamar - Does a great Baxter Stockman, who is black again as he was in the original Mirage comics.
Danny Jacobs - The voice of Victor Zsasz in the Batman Arkham games.
Nolan North - The voice of Assassin's Creeds Desmond Miles, as well as the voice of Uncharted lead Nathan Drake.
Jeffrey freakin' Combs - Do I need to go into this? I love this guy.

So, yeah...there is certainly a lot of talent going into the voice acting.

"APRIL IS JAILBAIT" DEBATE:

Okay...look......April is different in every version of the TMNT. She's been a woman in her 30's, 20's, and now she is a teenager. Who cares? I think it's a fresh take on the character, and she's actually now the same age as the Turtles. That kind of makes it a little less creepy to me, it makes it less like she's a mother figure, and more like a real friend. Also, I don't understand why anyone would have any problems with Donatello having a crush on her. They are the same age, and they are both tech-geeks. Besides, Donny had a platonic relationship with April in the 2003 series.

- - - -

One of my favorite aspects of the show is that I genuinely get the feeling that these four turtles are truly brothers. Sure, they fight and try to outdo each other...there's that aspect of rivalry. However, I truly buy the fact that they all four really care about each other when things get real, just as true brothers should.

This series is really fun and has a lot of heart to it, and I again hope that everyone gives it a chance. It's a perfect mix of humor and timing that actually works, as well as the action we all love. It's like they are trying to mix some of the better elements of the various imaginings of the franchise in an attempt to appease ALL TMNT fans. I'm with SpeedPreacher...it's my favorite TMNT in nearly 30 years of being a fan. :neutral:

Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:29:46 am by AilynnStarlight
#27  November 22, 2012, 10:09:36 am
Also, I don't understand why anyone would have any problems with Donatello having a crush on her.
Turtle-human sex. Making April a teen actually makes it worse because as you say, it almost sounds possible now that they're the same age.
#28  November 22, 2012, 10:17:20 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
April O'neil: Mae Whitman  -  The voice of Katara in Avatar: The Last Airbender as well as the actress that played evil-ex Roxy Richter in the Scott Pilgrim film, so far she hasn't had a whole lot to do yet...but I think her voice is just fine for the younger April of this series.
... her?

Lewis Black - Perfect for portraying an obnoxiously irritating NewYorker who tests Raph's patience.
Ooh that's cool.
#29  November 22, 2012, 10:28:28 am
They're not going to have sex. That ain't happening.
It happening or not is not the point at all. Of course it won't happen, it's a kid's show. But it's still turtle-human romance which calls out to it in an obvious way.
#30  November 22, 2012, 10:36:47 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • MtF Transgender
    • USA
... her?

Yep!

April's a psychotic lesbian with a whip-blade...........go figure.

Posted: November 22, 2012, 10:44:11 am
It happening or not is not the point at all. Of course it won't happen, it's a kid's show. But it's still turtle-human romance which calls out to it in an obvious way.

I hope they get married...and MetalHead is the flower girl.  ;P

Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:44:58 am by AilynnStarlight
#31  November 22, 2012, 11:12:04 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#32  November 22, 2012, 11:45:29 am
  • turtles go
i prefer to pay to watch this show than the next movie.
#33  November 22, 2012, 02:53:31 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I saw an ep of it and it's okay. I didn't notice the toes during it :P I don't like the way the cg looks on it and April nor Shredder was in the episode I saw. It was the ep where some civilian recorded Raphael and they were trying to get the tape back.

At 1st I didn't care for it but when I set my mind that it's for a different demographic than me (MUCH younger) It's a good show. Raphael is a hot head so I'm happy. I remember when I 1st started getting the comics and watching the movies how I wondered why Raph didn't act like that in the 80s cartoon that was still airing. As a kid it mad me hate that Raph =p
#34  November 22, 2012, 04:19:57 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I like the animation studio, and i always welcome new versionsof something interesting like this.
I just dislike the feet, the older ones were designed like Gettas, which was kindof cool, the three toes of the new ones make them look a bit awkward, its specially bad on the toys, they have huge toes.
#35  November 22, 2012, 04:42:32 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#36  November 22, 2012, 08:39:59 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA

She's not really all that interested so far. And Casey Jones is showing up next season, so unless they're keeping HIM the same age as he usually is that'll be the end of that.

But whatever, I liked Gargoyles so implications don't bother me as long as I don't think about the logistics of it.

This show is great. It combines the fun series I loved as a young boy with the cool action series I loved in my late teens. I think it may be my favorite TMNT thing ever.

SO you enjoy pedo April? No more Channel 5 News?

I'm a little late on this response, but April O'Neil is different in almost every adaption. If I can get over her becoming a kunoichi in damn near every other adaption but the 80's series, I can sure as hell get over her being a teenage kunoichi.

[nerd glasses] *scoffs* Also, it's Channel 6 News and it's still in the new cartoon, buddy. [/nerd glasses]
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#37  November 22, 2012, 08:54:06 pm
What I meant Was That for example take the current subject TMNT here. The characters  development ,origin and story some changes. The First and 2nd animation set as well the comics the turtles are depicted as mutant anthropomorphic  turtles but  Bay favored them in this one as an alien race.  From both first and this one Splinter is human turned into mutant rat (April who is already discussed in previous post) Hamoto Yoshi is always changing in comic and 2nd set animation he is human who is killed by Shredder while in others HE transforms into Splinter. Shredder's origin is also changing in each animation. Though in 2003 version there were 4 different versions
1. Tengu demon (and Evil presence who possesed Oruko Saki)
2. Utrom (the main one who is an lien  in a human guise)
3. Karai (who was depicted as his daughter)
4. Cyber Shredder (originally confined to cyberspace until he becomes a physical being. He was essentially a backup of the mind of the Utrom Shredder, but with a radically redesigned version of the Shredder's humanoid exoskeleton suit and armor.)

As for Casey I dont care about him

#38  November 22, 2012, 09:06:50 pm
  • SNK is life
(Hamato Yoshi ... Is Hamato even a real name? It sounds better if you switch the first letter of both words - Yamato Hoshi)
#39  November 22, 2012, 09:10:04 pm
Hoshi isn't a name either. Neither is Oroku Saki anyway.
#40  November 23, 2012, 06:57:06 am
sorry for mistyping