YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2502889 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#9401  September 12, 2020, 01:39:25 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

what the hell are you on about man?  this is PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!! we have been fiending for a new POP game for almost 10 years now.

I told about a remake it's unnecessary. Prince of Persia is a classic and if Ubisoft got to do a remake, them make it right but no, they did that garbage that looks like a remaster and a very bad one. I prefer still playing the original and i'm with Jmorph, why didn't they make a HD version of the original?

But looks like the fans did already.

Oh, instead of this "remake" why they cancel PoP Redemption? From what i saw in the gameplay, it looks very promising and Ubisoft just cancel it.
#9402  September 12, 2020, 04:50:31 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Devs already said that redemption video was a concept video and not actual gameplay.
Its sorta like a pitch video put together to show their vision of what they want make... a sizzle reel of sorts.
#9403  September 12, 2020, 07:07:31 pm
why didn't they make a HD version of the original?
expect they did, it has been remastered and its on steam and other platforms. if you cared about those games you'd have known this. also calling it garbage is stretch, its serviceable for a game that will most likely NOT be sold at full retail price.
this remake has been made to gauge the interest in a franchise that hasn't been relevant for over 10 years. it makes perfect sense that upisoft wouldn't risk reviving a dead franchise with a new high budget project, thats a recipe for failure. should this game see success, they would consider making newer PoP titles. who wouldn't want that?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#9404  September 12, 2020, 08:43:25 pm
should this game see success, they would consider making newer PoP titles.
I have zero faith in that unprompted guess you're making here. There is nothing that suggests that.
Hard yes, that too.
||
V
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:59:34 pm by Byakko
#9405  September 12, 2020, 09:57:06 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Besides, the whole idea of publishers equating how much players want a new entry in the series with how willing they are to buy yet another copy of the the same game that's been repackaged and resold to them multiple times is a terrible trend and historically has almost never worked out that way, if ever at all.
#9406  September 12, 2020, 10:01:56 pm
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
Besides, the whole idea of publishers equating how much players want a new entry in the series with how willing they are to buy yet another copy of the the same game that's been repackaged and resold to them multiple times is a terrible trend and historically has almost never worked out that way, if ever at all.

I'd say it worked out well for the Crash Bandicoot franchise with the N. Sane Trilogy now acting as a soft reboot of sorts (and I can totally see the same happening with Spyro).
#9407  September 12, 2020, 10:10:25 pm
Those actually put some effort to properly update those games, and it's the only time those series got that treatment. PoP has been repackaged with little to no change a few times on a bunch of different platforms, straight ports whenever they could just to cash in on "the masterpiece of its time", and this new "remaster" doesn't look nearly as good an upgrade as those two series. It looks like a generic PC game from over a decade ago.

All Ubisoft is going to do is give the same treatment to the other two games of the trilogy and shelve the franchise again for another decade.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#9408  September 12, 2020, 10:14:44 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Ground-up rebuilds like N. Sane Trilogy or FFVII Remake are a different story because you can tell an obscene amount of effort and care went into making a new product.  I'm talking more like how Capcom will periodically crap out another Darkstalkers arcade port that nobody wants to pay for again, and then point to the low sales to justify not making a new Darkstalkers game.

This Sands of Time remake skews much closer to the latter at first glance, I'm afraid.  In typical Ubisoft fashion, it looks like the least amount of effort possible is being put into it.
#9409  September 12, 2020, 11:32:14 pm
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
Personally, I'm pretty excited for this. I don't really mind the graphics, I think the characters look fine and the environments still look great. I just wish they kept the designs a bit more faithful to the original. Especially the sand creatures, I really don't like their new look, they aren't nearly as menacing or imposing as they were in the original.

It does seem that the trailer used footage from an outdated build and the graphics have been improved since. Maybe the trailer was originally supposed to be revealed some time ago instead? https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1304498126171107338

I do think it's a real shame that they didn't bring any of the original voice cast back from SOT, or even T2T, other than Yuri. I can understand recasting the Vizier and Shahraman since their original actors, Barry Dennen and Warren Burton respectively, died in 2017, but even then, they could've gotten Harry Standjofski to reprise the former as he played the Vizier in T2T. Not getting Joanna Wasick or Helen King to reprise Farah is really disappointing.

What's most important though is how they handle the "improved gameplay". Jordan Mechner also wrote an article on his website about the remake and mentioned the team behind it asked him what things he had to cut or compromise from the original game's release. The possibility of cut content returning for this remake intrigues me a lot. https://jordanmechner.com/sands-of-time-remake/

Also, there was already an HD remaster for PS3 and it was actually really bad. It introduced a lot of visual and audible glitches and you might as well just play the vanilla versions on Steam or PS2/Xbox. I'd honestly rather have an okay remake than another glitchfest 'HD remaster'.
#9410  September 13, 2020, 03:23:10 am
    • Brazil
Ground-up rebuilds like N. Sane Trilogy or FFVII Remake are a different story because you can tell an obscene amount of effort and care went into making a new product.  I'm talking more like how Capcom will periodically crap out another Darkstalkers arcade port that nobody wants to pay for again, and then point to the low sales to justify not making a new Darkstalkers game.

This Sands of Time remake skews much closer to the latter at first glance, I'm afraid.  In typical Ubisoft fashion, it looks like the least amount of effort possible is being put into it.
So much this, the situation with Darkstalkers Ressurection infuriates me to this day, they release fucking arcade roms in HD (not even the most up to date ones, neither game included Dee, from the PS2 collection, for example) and say they will make another new game if that shit sells well. The game sells really well for what it is (IIRC, it was the most sold game for a bit, something like that), but they said it didn't, because it didn't sell nearly as much as an entirely new game. What the fuck did they expect? It was a port of two old games that a lot of people could already access for free through emulators and they expected MORE?

No, let the fucking franchise die because they didn't bother actually making a game with it. I sincerely hope the final (secret) DLC character for SF5 is, like a lot of people speculated, a Darkstalkers character (Morrigan, lets be real) to be a sort of tie-in inclusion to promote a new Darkstalkers game (that is just a theory, not my theory), because I still can't believe they're keeping the franchise dead out of pure stupidity.
#9411  September 13, 2020, 03:36:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I am super out of the loop on Street Fighter V, never touched it, barely follow news on it.  Wouldn't Morrigan be a poor fit with Capcom's eSports focus on that game?  I remember R. Mika being a big deal a while ago how they can't have the ladies looking or acting sexually provocative due to the t.v. age ratings showing off SF competitions so Capcom altered the camera angles and outfits a bit. (To be fair, I imagine it extends to the male cast as well, just all SF kinda has from their playable cast that intentionally acts sexually provocative is Vega and that's a bit different)

I'd imagine Donovan would be the best fit by their guidelines.  But then Morrigan is kinda their crossover queen so eh?
#9412  September 13, 2020, 04:07:34 am
They pulled Akira for Rival Schools out of fucking nowhere, it's possible they finally understand that the crossover character doesn't need to be just the one main character. Someone that is not Morrigan might make it - if the last character is a Darkstalkers character anyway (I'd still expect Demitri before Donovan though, then again Seth just took some pages from that book so that'd be redundant).
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:12:58 am by Byakko
#9413  September 13, 2020, 07:09:37 pm
    • Brazil
I am super out of the loop on Street Fighter V, never touched it, barely follow news on it.  Wouldn't Morrigan be a poor fit with Capcom's eSports focus on that game?  I remember R. Mika being a big deal a while ago how they can't have the ladies looking or acting sexually provocative due to the t.v. age ratings showing off SF competitions so Capcom altered the camera angles and outfits a bit. (To be fair, I imagine it extends to the male cast as well, just all SF kinda has from their playable cast that intentionally acts sexually provocative is Vega and that's a bit different)

I'd imagine Donovan would be the best fit by their guidelines.  But then Morrigan is kinda their crossover queen so eh?
Forgive me, but what does that have to do with esports? How is Morrigan less fitting than anyone, specially Donovan? When it comes to setting, Morrigan actually makes the most sense, she loves to go to the human world to fight (she becomes stronger with the excitement of fights, seems to be a specific ability from her family: fight is an alternative to draining people through sex, the usual way succubi gain energy), she has her quite iconic human outfit, which was DLC in UMvC3, and though her main moves are a hadouken and a shoryuken, if they could make Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Akuma, Kage and Dan feel different, Morrigan would be easy, considering her other abilities.

They pulled Akira for Rival Schools out of fucking nowhere, it's possible they finally understand that the crossover character doesn't need to be just the one main character. Someone that is not Morrigan might make it - if the last character is a Darkstalkers character anyway (I'd still expect Demitri before Donovan though, then again Seth just took some pages from that book so that'd be redundant).
You forget that, though Morrigan is easily the most recognized character from Darkstalkers, she isn't, officially, the protagonist, that one is Demitri. Akira was brought because she was popular, maybe not the most popular, but still popular enough among the fanbase. If popularity is the criteria (and if its meant as a cross-promotion, it should be), Morrigan is an easy choice.
#9414  September 13, 2020, 07:49:46 pm
    • USA
You're looking at it from a lore and gameplay point of view.  I'm asking from a legal viewpoint, they have a certain t.v. age rating they're aiming for with Street Fighter V, is that not correct?  Morrigan's whole design ethos pushes the boundaries of what they're aiming for with this title is all.  I'm not particularly agreeing with it, I'm just assessing that's the situation, no?  I suggest Donovan because he's comparatively much more tame.

I'm not actually against anyone from Darkstalkers, aside from the further confirmation that crossovers is all Capcom views the series good for anymore, and that's depressing.
#9415  September 13, 2020, 07:57:15 pm
    • Brazil
You're looking at it from a lore and gameplay point of view.  I'm asking from a legal viewpoint, they have a certain t.v. age rating they're aiming for with Street Fighter V, is that not correct?  Morrigan's whole design ethos pushes the boundaries of what they're aiming for with this title is all.  I'm not particularly agreeing with it, I'm just assessing that's the situation, no?  I suggest Donovan because he's comparatively much more tame.

I'm not actually against anyone from Darkstalkers, aside from the further confirmation that crossovers is all Capcom views the series good for anymore, and that's depressing.
Wait, you mean because she is sexy? Well, then, there is still no reason to not include Morrigan, and if there was, Donovan, who shows a lot of skin, wouldn't be a good replacement (you can see the guy's underwear all the time in his animations... I know I see it). First off, while the camera focusing on R. Mika was changed, her costume wasn't, hell, neither her costume, nor Cammy's costume, nor Laura's alt. costume. Morrigan may be a succubus, but the only sex act she showed was in her lvl3 super in MvC1, which, IIRC, wasn't a thing anymore by MvC2 and never showed up again. Her default costume (and her human one too) are sexy, but not enough to raise TV age ratings, and certainly aren't nearly as revealing as the other three I mentioned above. Hell, we have Urien and Gill go to fights in only undies revealing their almost naked (and damn sexy) bodies, Morrigan is a nun in comparison.
#9416  September 13, 2020, 08:24:16 pm
    • USA
Didn't Capcom regulate that all the ladies have tourney-specific outfits the players had to pick from when using them?  I'm going off memory from articles years ago now I guess, but I remember someone flipping out over Cammy's butt floss on t.v. so they set some ground rules.

Also Morrigan is, like, the de facto fighting video game sex symbol.  Bat wing tentacles and phallic imagery and all.  Bit more to sex appeal than just the outfit and/or lacking there of one, Urien and Gill don't act sexy from last I recall playing SF3, like, nearly a decade ago last time I've touched it.  Which likewise extends to much of the female cast as well, Chun-Li or Cammy don't either, but then you have Juri or R. Mika who do.  It's all schematics and I'd agree it's nonsense, but just trying to picture it from Capcom's end.

Anyways, this is all theorizing on something that not even confirmed, just speculated.  So it doesn't much matter one way or the other.  Sorry for bringing it up.

To bring up something that IS gaming news that I missed out on before, I'm actually legit super excited for Scott Pilgrim's game getting rereleased.  The soundtrack is God-tier level of music to me, it had no obligation being as astounding as it was but I'm thankful it went as hard as it did.  Only thing is, it being a straight-port....I remember the original game being really short.  Like, one of its challenges was speedrunning it as Knives in half an hour, and you can manage that with time to spare.  I'll still love revisiting it, but as obsessed as the fanbase has become getting it to get rereleased, it's not THAT big of a game.

But I suppose it's quality, not quantity that matters.  Still vividly remember the majority of it 10 years later, after all.
#9417  September 13, 2020, 09:19:00 pm
You forget that, though Morrigan is easily the most recognized character from Darkstalkers, she isn't, officially, the protagonist, that one is Demitri.
Demitri is the main character of the story but Morrigan is the face of the franchise. Even without her guest appearances, everything about the franchise in the real world revolves around her.
It's all schematics
Semantics ?

Re: sex symbols in fighting games
Didn't Sakurai straight up say that Mai wasn't picked in Smash Bros as Fatal Fury representative because she was too sexy ? That's just today's standards for games that want to have that kind of presence in media.
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:27:05 pm by Byakko
#9418  September 13, 2020, 09:25:30 pm
    • USA
Well, d'oh, I did write that.  Just ignore that slip up.
#9419  September 13, 2020, 09:56:45 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
I hate to drill into this topic farther then it needs to be, but why would they even add a DS character in the game ? if its to advertise the series they already have characters with DS skin

on the other hand having a character from Rival Schools like Akira being in the game makes more sense, as from my understanding , her own series take place in the same universe as SF
#9420  September 14, 2020, 01:31:50 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
On the capcom regulation thing. It was only because SFV top8 and cc top8 were on espn that year. Since then players can pretty much use any costumes as long as they arent banned. The banned costumes are only the one that can cause gameplay related issue like mika pom pom costume. I mean last year capcom cup grand final was laura vs cammy and Idom was using her bonita costume.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-