YesNoOk

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Read 893222 times)

Started by Jesuszilla, September 29, 2011, 10:17:18 pm
Share this topic:
Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
#321  March 12, 2013, 05:32:15 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
while the VA for Joseph has actually made me like the character a little less
oh good so i wasn't the only one. i didn't had any problems with joseph while i was reading the manga (i always read the manga chapters before watching it animated) but after watching the anime i just couldn't stand him in some parts

i also preffered will zeppeli over caesar. is not because caesar was bad but because he was more like joseph's sidekick rather his equal (even if he was supposed to be better than him using the ripple) and never really did anyting until his last battle. also: soap bubbles

my main problem with part 1&2 (not sure if it also happens in future parts) is that it's like later DBZ where anyone who wasn't a saiyan (or in this case a jojo) would only get killed or narrate the fight (perhaps the same could be said of all shonen mangas?)

also, joseph is the jojo who wouldn't die even if he is killed

SNT

#322  March 12, 2013, 09:35:36 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
That's who Joseph is supposed to be, though; a dick, an anathema of Jonathan, the gentleman.

Also

yes.
Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:44:35 am by SNT
#323  March 12, 2013, 01:52:37 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Oh awesome.
Jonathan was barely a character at all, honestly.  :-\
Yeah Jonathan was a bit of a lemon. He is better in the anime IMO since he comes off as a lot more expressive.

So you are moving to stands and such now? Better get ready cause some of that stuff is going to give you a headache.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:59:34 pm by Lolmechy
#324  March 12, 2013, 01:59:27 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
EVEN SPEEDWAGON IS EXCITED!
#325  March 12, 2013, 02:30:57 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
TBH, the anime made me like Jonathan quite a bit more than the manga did, while the VA for Joseph has actually made me like the character a little less. I love the VA (as I do the character), but in this role he's practically always yelling or just plain loud to the point he's irritating ; now it's the kind of person you'd just want to punch in the face if he was being so loud next to you. The few times he's not loud, he just sounds sleazy. I know the guy can talk normally and has a damn good voice, and that annoys me.
I actually thought the voice fit Joseph pretty well.  I mean, that's who he is;  a guy who acts like a loud, arrogant prick because he knows he's smart enough to back it up.  He's supposed to be somewhat irritating.
Yeah Jonathan was a bit of a lemon. He is better in the anime IMO since he comes off as a lot more expressive.

So you are moving to stands and such now? Better get ready cause some of that stuff is going to give you a headache.
Yeah, Jonathan was slightly better in the anime, but even there his personality never really gets much deeper than "I am the good guy in this series."  He doesn't ever do anything other than fill the role of protagonist.  The rest of the PB characters are pretty cool, but Jonathan himself is basically a nonentity.

And I'm already familiar with Part 3, at least as much as anyone else is since it's the most well known, so I think I can handle the stand stuff.
#326  March 12, 2013, 02:33:19 pm
Part 3 is fine on the Stands, they're pretty straight forward. They get crazy in parts 4 (they're still logical though), 5 (some are whack), a bit in 6 and some more in 7.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#327  March 12, 2013, 04:43:07 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
iirc, once Pb ends so this season ends, and since the studio doing jojo is already working on another series jojo should nto air for at least one coeur if not two going by recent trends for adapting long series (air it for 2 coeurs, rest 2 coeurs then resume for another 2 coeurs, rest repeat).

SNT

#328  March 12, 2013, 06:43:21 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Yeah, David are already signed on for Hyperdimension Neptunia.  On top of that, the licensees are keeping under wraps the production house doing Witch Craft Works, and I wouldn't put that past David either.
#329  March 12, 2013, 10:03:56 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Yeah, Jonathan was slightly better in the anime, but even there his personality never really gets much deeper than "I am the good guy in this series."  He doesn't ever do anything other than fill the role of protagonist.  The rest of the PB characters are pretty cool, but Jonathan himself is basically a nonentity.
Then again it's pretty fitting to have and absolute goodguy as the protagonist when the antagonist is Dio Brando. The guy that is such a massive douche that he might as well be Satan.

#330  March 13, 2013, 02:07:34 am
    • USA
Can someone remind me why Jotaro is considered the main character of part 3?  Because it's really starting to feel more like this is 'The Adventures of Polnareff and Friends.'
#331  March 13, 2013, 02:21:39 am
Because he's JoJo and his Stand is pretty much God. '90s, brooding, enigmatic, tall dark 'n handsome, that's the hero.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#332  March 13, 2013, 02:31:06 am
    • USA
Yeah, I get that.  But Polnareff is the one doing everything and everything that's happening is happening to Polnareff.  Jotaro's barely even there for most of it.

I don't know.  It just weird, is all.
#333  March 13, 2013, 02:34:03 am
It didn't matter if Polnareff was the one doing everything, in context of the '90s you were still not looking at him but at Jotaro. In context it wasn't weird.
#334  March 13, 2013, 02:40:28 am
    • USA
No, I totally know what you're getting at.  I'm just saying that reading it now it seems weird that he can be considered the main character when he rarely shows up, hardly speaks, and barely contributes to the plot for several huge stretches at a time.  It's like if Dragonball tried to claim that Yamcha was the real main character in one of its later arcs or something.
#335  March 13, 2013, 02:43:33 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I like Phantom Blood. Actually, it's my favorite arc. There is one simple reason for this:

Araki never developed a better rivalry between protagonist and anthagonist.

Even if Jonathan is an archetypical hero devoided of originality or charisma, he's the most humane JoJo. You can't help but to feel symphatetic towards him, waching his life going downhill because of Dio. You can feel his frustration, losing his father's steem, his sweetheart and watching Danny die painfully. Shit man, that's depressing. Then he mans up and beats the shit out of Dio.

Dio is a fantastic anthagonist. He charms not only George Joestar, but the readers as well, even when we know he is a bastard. How many characters can do that?
Dio fills a better role in PB than he does in SC. In SC he's basically Castlevania's Dracula; waiting for the hero(es) to show up at his cas...mansion.
#336  March 13, 2013, 02:10:30 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
No, I totally know what you're getting at.  I'm just saying that reading it now it seems weird that he can be considered the main character when he rarely shows up, hardly speaks, and barely contributes to the plot for several huge stretches at a time.  It's like if Dragonball tried to claim that Yamcha was the real main character in one of its later arcs or something.
Supporting protagonist syndrome. It's even more evident in part 5.

It's not that bad though.

#337  March 13, 2013, 03:19:54 pm
Yeah, I guess by part 5 he just has so many characters he wants to show that there's nothing left for the hero to do. At least in part 7 there's only two main heroes, and even if the central JoJo is still the sidekick to his sidekick for nearly the whole series, it's still better than putting him in the background.
#338  March 13, 2013, 03:45:29 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Another point to add to the list of "things why steel ball run is the best"

#339  March 13, 2013, 04:12:16 pm
  • SNK is life
Hi guys

I want to catch up with this, where do you recommend I read Parts 1 and 2?
#340  March 13, 2013, 04:14:37 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Mangareader I suppose. Should have both.