• USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:50:35 am by Brak's Dad
Re: Random Topic V5
#2402  June 07, 2010, 07:36:51 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
if your premise of humor relies heavily on referencing things that you hope your audience might get then you're not really funny

I woulndn't be "Universaly Funny". however, I would still be funny.
If I tell you some brazilian jokes, you won't find it funny until i explain why.
the same way if you tell me some Chillean jokes, I won't find it funny until you explain me why.

the whole deal here is that Nerds are a much smaller group than a whole country or city.

seinfeld does not rely on referencing anywhere as much as bbt does, which is something i said several posts ago
Which is needed for the kind of characters that the show wants to portray, something that I said several posts ago.

difference being that the bizarro deal was basically explained in seinfeld while in bbt it would be a bizarro namedrop followed by a laughtrack
Because, On Seinfeld, it was a joke that should reach everyone.
On BBT, its time for the "nerd joke of the segment"
different uses here.

that's because they're mainstream due to media outside comics. referencing them is not exactly obscure

And Have I said otherwise?

i get the jokes and i don't find them funny. i know about roms and emulators and super mario 64. does that mean i have to find that shit funny? no

yes. but someone who DOES NOT know about this stuff, will find, after all  "who plays games on a staircase?" and "emulator? nerdy.. he is a nerd.. hehehehe.."
#2403  June 07, 2010, 07:45:10 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Point of the matter is: I know which emulator he is even referencing, plus I admined a emulation site and I didn't find that joke funny in the slightest.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#2404  June 07, 2010, 07:48:19 am
I woulndn't be "Universaly Funny". however, I would still be funny.
If I tell you some brazilian jokes, you won't find it funny until i explain why.
the same way if you tell me some Chillean jokes, I won't find it funny until you explain me why.

the whole deal here is that Nerds are a much smaller group than a whole country or city.
no that's like comparing apples and some fruit nobody's ever heard of. if there was a tv show about chileans that relied almost completely on making injokes about chilean culture and people there are enormous chances i'd find it bad and unfunny. but a show about chileans doesn't have to rely completely on that. it could be funny by itself, just like most good sitcoms. making references most of the time isn't nerd humor, it's poor writing. revenge of the nerds wasn't mostly references.
Which is needed for the kind of characters that the show wants to portray, something that I said several posts ago.

Because, On Seinfeld, it was a joke that should reach everyone.

And Have I said otherwise?
right so since it's been established that both shows use referencing comics in a completely differently way why did you even bring it up
yes. but someone who DOES NOT know about this stuff, will find
uhhhh someone that doesn't get the reference will find it funny?
#2405  June 07, 2010, 07:52:50 am
    • http://nxistence.tumblr.com/
i've never heard a laugh track used so goddamn much before i saw big bang theory. is it used for some kind of ironic way?
#2406  June 07, 2010, 07:57:11 am
#2407  June 07, 2010, 08:23:39 am
    • Brazil
no that's like comparing apples and some fruit nobody's ever heard of. if there was a tv show about chileans that relied almost completely on making injokes about chilean culture and people there are enormous chances i'd find it bad and unfunny. but a show about chileans doesn't have to rely completely on that. it could be funny by itself, just like most good sitcoms. making references most of the time isn't nerd humor, it's poor writing. revenge of the nerds wasn't mostly references.

and the show ain't just that. I've mentioned Sheldon's quirks, Wolowitz's eternal strugle for female attention, Leonard's beign the "simpathetic loser" that is attracted to Penny (which often get him in trouble). there is even Raja, who is shy to the point he can't talk out loud if a girl is in the room. and Penny herself, which is the "outsider among outsiders".

and have you noticed that all examples you used do feature Sheldon? you know why? Because that kind of joke IS Sheldon role on the show. he is the "Über Geek" who leaves in his own world and believes he is right all the time.
(and yes. I know a lot of time, I sound just like that).

You completely ignored Wolowitz, Raja, Leonard and penny, whose jokes do not rely that much on referential humor.

its easy to make a case ignoring 80% of the main cast.

right so since it's been established that both shows use referencing comics in a completely differently way why did you even bring it up

Because it is still referencing. Your picture implies that it is a bad thing to do. and that it is misplaced, after all, there shouldn't be a reason to do that.

My case being that BBT is the place to do that. on the context of the series, a heavy intake of referencing ain't only expected, but needed. otherwise, the characters would appear fakes.

Think of what an actual Veteran of Vietnam thinks when he sees Rambo. or what a cop thinks when he sees Die Hard.

uhhhh someone that doesn't get the reference will find it funny?

"emulator? nerdy.. he is a nerd.. hehehehe.."

and

Because that kind of joke IS Sheldon role on the show. he is the "Über Geek" who leaves in his own world and believes he is right all the time

and because he is doing it on a staircase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvz_g8VAO9w&feature=related
YOU'RE A LEVEL THREE WARRIOR *laughtrack*
GUESS WHAT IM A LEVEL THREE WARRIOR *louder laughtrack*

and you think that she does not sound stupid?
#2408  June 07, 2010, 08:37:17 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Hey Tony what are you doing?

"Telling everyone how cool Big Bang Theory is"

*laugh track*

#2409  June 07, 2010, 08:41:35 am
I've mentioned Sheldon's quirks, Wolowitz's eternal strugle for female attention, Leonard's beign the "simpathetic loser" that is attracted to Penny (which often get him in trouble). there is even Raja, who is shy to the point he can't talk out loud if a girl is in the room. and Penny herself, which is the "outsider among outsiders".
no you haven't
and have you noticed that all examples you used do feature Sheldon? you know why? Because that kind of joke IS Sheldon role on the show. he is the "Über Geek" who leaves in his own world and believes he is right all the time.
coincidentally he's the most popular character on the show. the male characters in bbt are thick glasses and nasal voices and references. the girl is cleavage and a soft voice. barring sheldon who is memorable because he's very awkward and references shit all the time they're all forgettable
and it's "lives", bizarro
You completely ignored Wolowitz, Raja, Leonard and penny, whose jokes do not rely that much on referential humor. its easy to make a case ignoring 80% of the main cast.
blame it on the writers for not making them memorable
Because it is still referencing. Your picture implies that it is a bad thing to do
when most of the show is referencing and barely anything else, yes it's a horrible thing. bbt is remembered mostly because it references nerd shit. this is also why family guy is a bad show. that's obviously not the case in seinfeld which is remembered by creating its own funny situations without relying on references most of the time

a character said some nerdy shit
if i get the reference: haha, that's funny. nicely done, i get the reference
if i don't get it: haha, that's so nerdy and i don't get it but i'm laughing because i'm an idiot!!!

WOW you make it sound like writing this show must be the easiest thing on earth!! everyone is pleased

and you think that she does not sound stupid?
the same line repeated in a 10 second timespan should not have a laugh track
#2410  June 07, 2010, 08:43:42 am

*laugh track*
titiln: oh do you happen to mean the cosmological model of the initial conditions and subsequent development of the Universe that is supported by the most comprehensive and accurate explanations from current scientific evidence and observation.
*CROWD LITERALLY DIES IN LAUGHTER*
#2411  June 07, 2010, 08:47:03 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I don't think references aren't an inherently bad thing; as long as they are funny to someone who has no idea what is being referred to, it's good. If you get the reference, it's even funnier. The latest show I've seen use this is Community, specifically the paintball episode, "Modern Warfare", which was just a fantastic half-hour of television.
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:56:22 am by Brak's Dad
#2412  June 07, 2010, 08:51:27 am
  • Fuck You.
The references are not funny because they are not funny

Sure will understand them, say "hey I've heard/seen/done that before".

But they are not funny.

BBT IS NOT FUNNY
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#2413  June 07, 2010, 08:58:02 am
    • Brazil

*laugh track*

Hey Tempest what are you doing?

"Pinpointing my post on random discussions to increase the attention i get"

*TAN TAN TAAAAAN*

no you haven't

So yeah, even tough you guys might love the little relationship troubles between Leonard and Penny, or Sheldon Quirkies, or Wolowitz trying to hump every female on the show ,the 75% nerd jokes are what separate the show from the rest, and is actually what made it viable on the first place.

coincidentally he's the most popular character on the show. the male characters in bbt are thick glasses and nasal voices and references. the girl is cleavage and a soft voice. barring sheldon who is memorable because he's very awkward and references shit all the time they're all forgettable

So we agree that referencing IS WHAT ATTRACTS PEOPLE TO THE SERIES! good.
so we agree that IT IS IMPORTANT TO THE SERIES! good.

now, let's agree that, the fact that the series is already on the 3rd season, does mean that nerds ain't the only ones that find the series funny.

otherwise, the tick would still be on.

and it's "lives", bizarro
I knew there was something wrong there... damn homophones.

when most of the show is referencing and barely anything else, yes it's a horrible thing. bbt is remembered mostly because it references nerd shit. this is also why family guy is a bad show. that's obviously not the case in seinfeld which is remembered by creating its own funny situations without relying on references most of the time

a character said some nerdy shit
if i get the reference: haha, that's funny. nicely done, i get the reference
if i don't get it: haha, that's so nerdy and i don't get it but i'm laughing because i'm an idiot!!!

WOW you make it sound like writing this show must be the easiest thing on earth!! everyone is pleased

Never said it ain't. If i want complex writing, I ain't going to BBT, buddy. but there are worse things on tv (CSI Miami, for instance) and saying something "sucks" just cause you don't belong to the demographic is kinda bad at itself.

Complaining that BBT does referencing is complaining that the first seasons of south part does the "OMG he Killed Kenny". if you don't like that, sorry buddy. this show ain't for ya.

the same line repeated in a 10 second timespan should not have a laugh track

so the sound guy blew up... and the entire show is bad because of that?
#2414  June 07, 2010, 08:59:18 am
  • FTW!!!
References or whatever can be funny if it is done right. Remember the whole Carlos Mencia debacle? How people say that he stole jokes and every professional just shits on him while at the same time people consider him one of the top comedians?

You can't change someone's preference, young and older people watch America's Funniest Home Videos, Teens and adults watch Tosh.0

Edit: I fucking hate laugh tracks, they always use it at the wrong/unfunny moment.

*Mike spills his OJ*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"You didn't get the homework done!?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Cries*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:03:02 am by Orochi Paladin
#2415  June 07, 2010, 09:01:19 am
    • http://nxistence.tumblr.com/
the show is bad because it is poorly written, acted, overuses pop-culture references, and runs with mediocre stereotypes a social caste. it's like thatguywithglasses got his own show with marginally better writers.
#2416  June 07, 2010, 09:02:01 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
fuck you, do not ever compare nostalgia critic to that piece of shit.
#2417  June 07, 2010, 09:08:16 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada

*laugh track*

Hey Tempest what are you doing?

"Pinpointing my post on random discussions to increase the attention i get"

*TAN TAN TAAAAAN*

Wow, no wonder you like that show.

I guess the demographic is people who are equally as unfunny and out of touch with humor as the show is.

Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:11:56 am by TempesT
#2418  June 07, 2010, 09:11:15 am
Pinpointing my post
don't use terms you don't understand
no you haven't
whoops
So we agree that referencing IS WHAT ATTRACTS PEOPLE TO THE SERIES! good.
so we agree that IT IS IMPORTANT TO THE SERIES! good.
yes, it's what the show mostly relies on for humor, which is what i've been saying all along
now, let's agree that, the fact that the series is already on the 3rd season, does mean that nerds ain't the only ones that find the series funny.
the show makes a killing in the ratings. why?? i don't know. it's a really bad show just like two and a half men. sometimes a really bad thing becomes popular
saying something "sucks" just cause you don't belong to the demographic is kinda bad at itself.
i don't consider everything involving nerds unfunny. bbt and xkcd are not funny. and considering the ratings the show pulls it's not really a "demographic" issue, unless the problem is that i belong to the demographic that likes good shows.
Complaining that BBT does referencing is complaining that the first seasons of south part does the "OMG he Killed Kenny"
except south park obviously had more to it than kenny dying
so the sound guy blew up... and the entire show is bad because of that?
overuse of laughtrack is one of the reasons it is not a good show. i've mentioned several others. quit being dense
#2419  June 07, 2010, 09:14:35 am
anyway this argument is stupid because you like shit shows and i don't and nothing is going to change that
#2420  June 07, 2010, 09:29:57 am
  • FTW!!!
*Insert unnecessary laughtrack*