YesNoOk

Some advice for an ultra move please (Read 388 times)

Started by Odb718, July 16, 2011, 09:45:12 pm
Share this topic:
Some advice for an ultra move please
#1  July 16, 2011, 09:45:12 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So I'm making an Ultra. It has an opening hit that sends it into a second state. Like a raging demon of sorts. Grabs and then goes.
The second def needs a loop for a fireball. Then there's a third animation for the final hit.

Should I make the ultra go to a third statedef or should I make it switch animations in the middle of the second statedef? Are there any negatives to either one?
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Re: Some advice for an ultra move please
#2  July 16, 2011, 10:06:38 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Well there's not really a downside to either, provided they're coded properly. One thing to note regarding the ChangeAnim route: it's very easy to get stuck in a frozen animation loop if you don't code your triggers properly. Make sure you have something like
Code:
triggerall = Anim != ****
in your ChangeAnim to prevent this. The "****" is obviously the animation number you want to switch to. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#3  July 17, 2011, 01:59:22 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Thanks for the input. I'm trying my hand at making a SFIV type ultra that changes depending on enemy location.
I'm about half way done with the ultra. I have both at 80% done. I decided to make the "close" move one animation instead of splitting up the statedefs.

Right now I'm having trouble making a custom hitstate for the last hit. I want a classic statedef 5000 reaction but with the screenbound so it doesnt raise up as the enemy flies through the air. When I'm sending the enemy into the custom state using the last hitdef they just stand there.  --;
#4  July 17, 2011, 04:32:41 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
The best way to simulate existing states is to copy them and rename the values required. So you'd take 5000, and 5050 and rename them to say, 900 and 950. Then alter as required.

Add in a screenbound with movecamera = 1,0 and you should have the effect you're after. Just make sure you use selfstate for the final bit where it goes to 5100.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  July 17, 2011, 09:38:58 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Thanks. So my grab move is grabbing them in the air.
Is there a way to find if player 2's in the air so it'll switch to the fireball state?
I'm so tired I cant think straight. I cant seem to get posset working. Am I supposed to use targetbind or
#6  July 17, 2011, 02:49:57 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
To check if P2 is in the air, you could use p2statetype = A or enemy,pos y < 0.

#7  July 17, 2011, 08:37:40 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Sorry about the messed up post above. I was leaving work and decided to press post instead of waiting to go home and post.
Thanks for posting. It's extremely obvious now. I was making a custom state for getting hit in the air instead of just allowing mugen to decide what hit reaction to use. I guess that's what happens when I'm over-tired.
#8  July 17, 2011, 09:59:54 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
lol I know that feeling. Get some rest man!