YesNoOk

Rick Anderson alpha (Read 2777 times)

Started by xxxXx, April 26, 2020, 04:15:00 pm
Share this topic:
Rick Anderson alpha
#1  April 26, 2020, 04:15:00 pm
Hi guys,

I've made some progress on one of my older chars: Rick from 64th Street: A Detective Story.   

Ingame he's only called Rick, but extra materials name him as Rick Anderson.

He looks like this:

plus a sample anim

this is an early version, so its in projects.

I'd be glad for feedback!

get him here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vqSJfi85R039SSLtOnMRbZfkX9wZVqJ/view?usp=sharing

along the line I might make him a stage.
Re: Rick Anderson alpha
#2  April 26, 2020, 06:07:27 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Good stuff!!
I like to see old school character.
Particulary the new color and stance you gave !
#3  April 26, 2020, 08:43:09 pm
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org

this character is pretty good so far and I love how fleshed out his new animations look. one thing I would suggest is to make his gun moves blockable.

also I'm not sure if you're already aware of this but he's unable to chain his ground normals from his air normals.
#4  April 26, 2020, 10:22:16 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
This is pretty nice. Hiccups I noticed off the bat are things like:

-the punch super not hitting with every attack regardless of meter level
-the first hit of the lvl one version of said super being unblockable
-his HK gun special not coming out and instead doing an animation of him walking backwards in place (assuming that's more an Alpha hiccup)

One suggestion I have is I think the gun special shouldn't knock the opponent over flying. Good reference would be something like Whip's gun special or for a MUGEN example that one KOF Leon which also has a pistol special. Also both the special and the Tommy Gun super really should be blockable as suggested.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:28:26 am by Roman55
#5  May 02, 2020, 11:02:05 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Hi guys,

I've made some progress on one of my older chars: Rick from 64th Street: A Detective Story.   

Ingame he's only called Rick, but extra materials name him as Rick Anderson.

He looks like this:

plus a sample anim

this is an early version, so its in projects.

I'd be glad for feedback!

get him here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vqSJfi85R039SSLtOnMRbZfkX9wZVqJ/view?usp=sharing

along the line I might make him a stage.

I finally tried Rick.
It's pretty interesting. I like the fact you create original moves. This is not just a conversion of the arcade game!
REALLY, I like this idea! I'm not sure I can do all the moves. Some commands seems to make problems in gameplay.
But for a WIP, this is truely awesome!

Also, I'm impressed by the animation method.
What sowtware / method you used for it ?? Would you mind to explain a bit.
I'm really curious about that !

Thanks
#6  May 08, 2020, 11:28:04 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try to fix at least some of the bugs during the weekend.

Hi guys,

Also, I'm impressed by the animation method.
What sowtware / method you used for it ?? Would you mind to explain a bit.
I'm really curious about that !

Thanks

Can't say much here, I don't have any detailed method and only use photoshop. I just look at available frames and try to link what I have. Then I put together parts of other frames, eg. hand leg etc. What I have usually determines the way the char is later animated, eg. my Rocky from KOF 2000 has some specific hand motions in his stance because those were available in his spritesheet.
After this I put each frame on top of the previous one in photoshop and look what looks odd. Then its tweaking time - moving some elements by pixel or slight recoloring etc.
I also usually stand in my room and try to repeat some of the motions (particularly the stance) to see what limb should move where.

The only totally different project I've made was Cyber Blue. There was only a single frame made by a very talented pixel artist. So all his moves had to be some kind of mix of that.

More advanced / capable creators do a sort of 3d model / wire-frame to help them animate the char. Its usually a bit more fluid than my style but likely takes more time and surely requires more talent than I have.

If anything the only more advanced technique I use is recording actions in photoshop. This really speeds the process of creating character frames. E.g. I record converting a layer into a png, while enforcing a specific palette + saving it to a file etc.

My biggest difficulty is coding. I often have lengthy pauses between characters and tend to forget some intricacies. E.g. currently I'm considering asking some advanced coder for help. I was given a great AI patch for Cyber Blue, but its turned the char into AI only and I don't know how to fix it despite several attempts. I also lost contact to the creator of said patch.

Well this went quite off topic, so enough from me.
Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:32:47 pm by xxxXx
#7  May 09, 2020, 12:41:45 am
  • A.K.A. NED
Thanks for taking some time to explain about your method on photoshop.
I tried some of it in the past.

The part about automatise stuff to export sprites is interesting.
Because AFAIK you cannot work in layers/animation in photoshop and keep the 256 colors of the mugen character.