YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2635897 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#9341  August 23, 2020, 10:22:58 am
  • I try to do palettes.
    • Venezuela
I just hope that Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights don't end up like that cashgrab called Marvel's Avengers.
#9342  August 23, 2020, 05:33:19 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I haven't liked the "evil Superman" schtick pretty much since I've first seen it, so yeah, it is rather grating years after years of it.  For benefit of the doubt though, in this case, it's literally the whole reason why the Suicide Squad exists as an extended franchise, to use in this case.   So it's fitting for the game's narrative perspective.  Just "this case" sucks.

Considering I also don't like Suicide Squad as a whole though and passed on the Arkham games, I think I'll be giving this a pass as well.
Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:40:40 pm by Long John Killer
#9343  August 23, 2020, 06:16:50 pm
I'd say I'm more on the opposite side of the spectrum, I love Evil Superman. Never liked boring white-meat babyface Superman to begin with, so his darker interpretation is the only version that interests me. I agree with AngelZX's sentiment though, hopefully this has people behind it who genuinely want to tell a good story with fun gameplay, not just make money.
#9344  August 23, 2020, 08:11:48 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
my biggest issue with the Suicide Squad is

Think they going the Avengers route, to try and design the characters based on the cinematic designs... I dunno why, coz Rocksteady had decent redesigns on their own.
#9345  August 23, 2020, 09:29:37 pm
Think they going the Avengers route, to try and design the characters based on the cinematic designs
? the Avengers game is specifically avoiding designing the characters based on the movies.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

lui

#9346  August 23, 2020, 10:25:04 pm
    • USA
It's both not and kind of is.

In the fact that it' has a very brand safe roster with the exception of Kamala, similar design and musical design choices, etc. etc.

but it also isn't explicitly based on the movies either, but they do invoke the same kind of feeling

I have the feeling that it's similar with the SS game.

#9347  August 23, 2020, 10:28:58 pm
    • Germany
I haven't liked the "evil Superman" schtick pretty much since I've first seen it, so yeah, it is rather grating years after years of it.  For benefit of the doubt though, in this case, it's literally the whole reason why the Suicide Squad exists as an extended franchise, to use in this case.   So it's fitting for the game's narrative perspective.  Just "this case" sucks.

Considering I also don't like Suicide Squad as a whole though and passed on the Arkham games, I think I'll be giving this a pass as well.

Not a fan of the Suicide Squad, and I have seen so many "Evil Superman" and "Evil Superman analogues" by now that this concept becomes boring to me, I will skip that game, and maybe get Gotham Knights. ^_^
#9348  August 23, 2020, 10:45:00 pm
    • USA
Evil Superman really only works to whatever extent when in contrast to the "correct" version of him.  But it's even more of a bore when they likely won't even commit to it fully.  Like, I can't be bothered to care about the Injustice universe, but at least they went all the way with its concept.  This isn't even truly "Evil Superman", it's another brainwashed one with Brainiac.

Like, off the top of my head, if you're going to make Superman the antagonist of this bounty hunter-esque game, then why not at least make it interesting on his end by having different ideologies starting to sprout that differs from the U.S. government's tolerance of the Justice League that Waller's a part of that's causing her to pull the trigger early on them?

....Which by all accounts just means I just really want a Justice League cartoon game, but god damn it did they do it best, what can I say?  Or maybe make him older in a Kingdom Come scenario, I dunno.
#9349  August 23, 2020, 11:07:01 pm
In the fact that it' has a very brand safe roster with the exception of Kamala, similar design and musical design choices, etc. etc.

but it also isn't explicitly based on the movies either, but they do invoke the same kind of feeling
About the roster, given what's been datamined for DLC, it's actually really clear that they want a roster that matches what's coming to Disney+ and the future of the MCU (She-Hulk, Kamala, Black Panther, War Machine etc.)
But other than that, the designs are in line with the usual designs you see in the comics. It's just that the movies were already generally close enough - and yet the game is going out of its way to make costumes that don't make you think they're a copy of the movie. That awful ass Captain America riot gear costume, I swear, it gives me nightmares.
And then there's the facial designs, close enough to what you expect from the comics and yet as far as possible from the actors.

IMO it's yet another ad for the MCU (a lot of Marvel's games have been basically that in the last few years) in term of content, but the designs and the look are resolutely not MCU based.

Re: evil Superman
I hate it because it's super cliché and boring and uninspired. Just take another superpowered bad guy.
it's literally the whole reason why the Suicide Squad exists as an extended franchise, to use in this case.
In-universe, you just don't make a team with a bunch of people who have never won against any single member of the Justice League, and hope they'll be able to beat the Evil Justice League. In-universe, they're meant to do the really dirty missions, as a franchise that's what they should be doing in a game like that. Making this a franchise that exists just to throw a hero-turned-bad at them is just cringe edgy.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:28:34 pm by Byakko
#9350  August 23, 2020, 11:55:20 pm
    • USA
Oh no, I remember that was what the Suicide Squad was SUPPOSED to do.  Not that I intentionally caught a lot of their comics, but of what in-passing I did see of them, the initial concept's fine, if not my cup of tea.  But I'm guessing since the last movie's.....I guess positive reception(?), if not before and I missed it, the public perception seems to be "Use bad guys to kill bad guys to get them ready to kill good guys when they turn bad".  Which is essentially Waller's whole role against the Justice League in the D.C. universe, whether written good or bad, for the world's greater good or against it.

It's still a really stupid idea, though.

lui

#9351  August 24, 2020, 12:10:09 am
    • USA
not looking forward to suicide squad at all based on that trailer. so many obnoxiious elements that turn me off.

ironically im looking more forward to gotham knights since it knows what kinda game it is and looks to be sticking to a core focus.

robin looks whack but whatever
#9352  August 24, 2020, 04:12:40 am
    • Brazil
So, Suicide Squad is a sequel to Arkhamverse with its conflicting character designs... but Gotham Knights, which is clearly following the story of Batman's death in Arkham Knight, as well as having Harley Quinn thugs (because you know, Joker died and his girlfriend took over), somehow is NOT an Arkhamverse sequel? Well, WB can suck my dick with their stupidity, nobody in the fanbase will take their definition of "canon" seriously. Also, yeah, evil Superman is kinda overdone at this point, and I seriously hope the skull ship means that Brainiac is controlling him at the very least.
#9353  August 24, 2020, 05:18:31 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I think they're going to flood it with evil Batman soon. Just saw on my Youtube recommendations Darkseid Batman. Didn't even knew that was a thing. And there's that awful Justice League animated movie with another mind controlled Batman seating on a chair. Also that Red Son terrorist Batman.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#9354  August 24, 2020, 05:23:27 pm
  • Suika cute
    • sites.google.com/site/roysquadrocks/
Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:28:47 pm by RoySquadRocks
#9355  August 24, 2020, 06:24:37 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I especially like the very much Princess Zelda design in the art there.
#9356  August 25, 2020, 07:06:44 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
That Suicide Squad game trailer was fucking awful IMO: they showed absolutely no gameplay; the designs are all absurdly derivative of the already awful 1st movie designs (especially poor Harley, but she's no stranger to having people making her wear the worst fucking outfits because god forbid she wear her real costume); everyone uses guns, and almost exclusively guns (including King Shark, a dude with super-strength and super-durability, as well as Captain Boomerang, the dude whose entire fucking deal is that he uses special gimmick boomerangs, and only uses boomerangs because it's literally his fucking name?!?!?!?!); and worst of all, the game is centered around another fucking "what if Superman... turned evil???" plotlines.

Also fuck Rocksteady, they've fostered a hostile work environment for all the women that work there and have done absolutely nothing to address it.
#9357  August 25, 2020, 07:40:07 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#9358  August 25, 2020, 04:03:08 pm
    • Brazil
Also fuck Rocksteady, they've fostered a hostile work environment for all the women that work there and have done absolutely nothing to address it.

Now even Rocksteady? WTF is happening on gaming industry!? :O

Talking about that Suicide Squad game, the design choices are terrible and had nothing to do with the Arkhamverse.
It's not happening just now, darling, it always happened. The thing is, people are coming out with that information only now, because they're being encouraged to do so and many corporations are suffering the consequences. Even big ones like Ubisoft aren't safe, there seem to be accusations of actual rape there, and by higher ups, who got their asses covered by the CEO. Jim Sterling made a video about it and it was infuriating to know.
#9359  August 25, 2020, 06:07:43 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
#9360  August 25, 2020, 10:53:06 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I'd say I'm more on the opposite side of the spectrum, I love Evil Superman. Never liked boring white-meat babyface Superman to begin with, so his darker interpretation is the only version that interests me. I agree with AngelZX's sentiment though, hopefully this has people behind it who genuinely want to tell a good story with fun gameplay, not just make money.

There are literally countless "evil superman" clones that exist even in DC comics itself. They don't have to keep using Superman himself to please you. FFS Bizarro's one of DC's most well known villains and he's literally Superman's evil clone. Taking Superman himself and recycling making him evil over and over again is an annoying and tiring lazy as fuck cliche. It completely undermines Superman as a character and his legacy especially when there more than willing to use this stupid cliche than represent him as he purely is.

We haven't seen a genuine Superman representation in games since Injustice 1 and he has to share it with Injustice's evil Superman. He never shows up in Injustice 2 which purely focuses on the Injustice universe (where everyone else is either evil themselves or jerkasses). This is also my problem with the Injustice games since they're the most popular representation of DC heroes besides the Batman Arkham games in video games right now. The most popular DC games are the ones where Superman is evil.
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:00:59 pm by Mgbenz