YesNoOk

Catfishing- who's who online (Read 7258 times)

Started by Iced, January 26, 2015, 10:57:27 am
Share this topic:
Catfishing- who's who online
#1  January 26, 2015, 10:57:27 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
There's a common practice in the internet where people create whole fake personas in order to get into relationships with "victims" they pick out. These victims are sometimes swindled out of money or just kept around as "internet boyfriends" by mena nd women who get their kicks out of fooling others.

This practice is called Catfishing. This lady has had her social media footprint hijacked by a woman that kept relationships with several people on the internet, recreating not only her profiles but also her friends.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstories/strangers-have-been-using-this-womans-photos-to-catfish-people-online-for-10-years/ar-AA8rLkY
Re: Catfishing- who's who online
#2  January 26, 2015, 11:58:30 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Wow, they mentioned my home town in this article. (Halifax).

This surprisingly local, but I've never met this woman before, must really suck.
#3  January 26, 2015, 12:03:09 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
in some degree anyone who don't use their own photo as their avatar are guilty of this too.
#4  January 26, 2015, 12:35:50 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
omission is not the same thing as deceiving. I doubt most of you are anime lolis.
#5  January 26, 2015, 12:36:42 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Oh yeah, I'm pretending to be a Spaceship.

Ah crap, I was ninja'd.

lui

#6  January 26, 2015, 12:48:50 pm
    • USA
wait, IM NOT YURIKA?! Everything is a lie...

Mog

#7  January 26, 2015, 03:18:13 pm
#8  January 26, 2015, 03:52:41 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
Catfish Bob sounds like somebody who doesn't wash very often
#9  January 26, 2015, 04:50:14 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I fell for FlowaGirl and LadyKiki already! No more!

I have a friend who does this. A girl who uses images of other girls she jacks off Deviantart and Facebook. I'm thinking I should send the article over to her. Recently, she transformed from a Korean girl to an Italian girl!
I don't understand the point of it, at least when you try and convince people you are Hatsune Miku there is a far greater suspension of disbelief, even though I'd probably still fall for it again and send more of my dick pics.  :bigcry:
#10  January 26, 2015, 06:12:19 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#11  January 26, 2015, 06:23:37 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#12  January 26, 2015, 06:30:54 pm
nya
#13  January 26, 2015, 06:59:30 pm
There's a difference between just taking a random picture off the Internet as your avatar, even that of a complete stranger, but still talking normally, as yourself, and going as far as copying tweets and facebook messages by other people and act like you said that.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#14  January 27, 2015, 01:00:03 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
in some degree anyone who don't use their own photo as their avatar are guilty of this too.

But I am Batman DX

Okay, besides that, this is a terrible thing.  I think my uncle may be caught up in something like this too.  He's told me that he's speaking with this woman from Ukraine, and in order to talk to her, he has to send her so much money.  And when he was unable to send money, she stopped talking to him.
#15  January 27, 2015, 01:01:37 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Already admit it, how many of you have catfished me

Might as well call it Cadfishing
#16  January 27, 2015, 01:38:42 am
    • Poland
I've proably never been catfished but I knew a guy who been victim of this. He told me whole story after fake person admitted to be not the person he thought he was. But lets start from the beginning.

I've meet the guy in MMO game and we played and chatted together for quite a while via TeamSpeak too. So he was friend with this girl for over 3 years. Girl was supposed to be 18 years old. They played together in same MMOs and games, texted and chatted all the time. I don't really know if he had feelings for her but it's been good friendship at least from his side. I've met this girl too (in game of course) and I kinda disliked her because she sounded too much arrogant for me but the guy was cool so we became buddies.

One day I started talking to him and he told me that girl admitted to him that she is not a girl but 16 year old kid (so he must've been like 13 yo when they started chatting & playing). He admit that whole thing started because my friend assumed that fake girl was  girl, so kid didn't corrected him and it stuck. My friend "knew" how "she" look because guy used photos of some random girl, which he found over internet. Her or rather His whole persona was pretty much fake.

Here funny part of the story. I told you how they played together in bunch of games. Sometimes clans in game require team co-op with voice chat on TeamSpeak or in build in softwareduing various events. So Fake Girl had to be there no matter what. My friend admitted to me that it was quite rare thing for this girl to talk in voice chat, she talked only when it was necessary and was mostly silent but he thought that's just how she wanted or maybe she was shy or something. Then I asked him how this fake girl could talk on TeamSpeak if she was really a guy. He replied that fake girl told him that whenever he needed to say something his MOM talked instead of him. I laughed my ass of. Seriously ? His own mother heled him with faking ? How crazy was that ? I was amazed. Anyway I felt really sorry for my friend, he was just devastated. He thought they've been really close friend, he shared his secret and stuff with that guy and all. We are no longer in contact but I know situation changed him, he beome less trusting to people and all.

As for me since that moment I told myself I would never ever believe or full trust someone who I didn't meet in real life I mean not for 100%. I don't consider people who I meet online as friends, they are just buddies and people I supposedly know. I try to separated my real life from internet and I assume from the start that internet is illusion and all infos or people I know could be fake. Whole thing made me wiser a bit and more aware so there is silver lining in that.

I feel sorry for victims of catfish, cuz I know it can be quite destructive to your self-esteem and personality.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:43:08 am by Jarek Bachanek
#17  January 27, 2015, 02:22:55 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#18  January 27, 2015, 02:30:09 am
  • Raging Fist
-_- I honestly don't see why he would do something like this to make himself look bad. In all honesty he would have done a better job if he just acted himself online. Bad enough I was catfished online a few times, the worst was Yuyustars...
#19  January 27, 2015, 03:00:20 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
#20  January 27, 2015, 05:20:56 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
I guess I once unintentionally catfished someone one time.
A few years back, I was playing an online game (League) with a bunch of random others.
One of the players assumed I was a girl.  I didn't realize this until after the player had already left.