YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 743682 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#1001  November 05, 2018, 09:27:54 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1002  November 05, 2018, 09:33:52 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I don't know all the specifics off-hand, but I do recall the original N64 Smash was initially designed as fighting game for a different project that was indeed swapped out to just cover Nintendo stars, and its gameplay was built off of Kirby 64.  I don't think it was a Kirby fighting game though, just some other project that got scrapped but its resources were reallocated into this new game that turned out to be Smash.  Sakurai didn't take over until Brawl, but I know he was involved in the game design process since the beginning, even doing the voice acting for Dedede to this day.

That said, Smash has always felt like a Kirby game that emphasized the fights to me, so the fact the series has gone on so long being less Kirby-centric is always puzzling.  Avoiding nepotism, I suppose, Sakurai also has tried to keep his distance from Kirby since he stopped working on them, but still.  Didn't stop him with pushing Kid Icarus.

Dark Meta Knight's even easier transfer what with being an echo fighter.

DLC won't feature echo fighters, so unless they magic up an entirely new moveset for him, I can't see it happening.

Oh no, I know, I'm not forgetting that they stated that, just it would be a much easier process to accomplish if they wanted to bring anyone over from Kirby.  Perhaps after these 5 they'll go for clone DLC, though I'm not holding my breath.  Though Dark Meta Knight really wouldn't be my first choice anyways, just because he's simple to do.
Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:46:23 pm by Long John Killer
#1003  November 05, 2018, 10:07:51 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
I'm also a little surprised at the lack of new Kirby reps.  Beyond Smash being build on the foundation of Kirby, this new game implying Kirby himself is going to play the star and Sakurai's involvement in both, Star Allies also wasn't that long ago and offered a lot of character templates that can just be transitioned over to Smash with some tweaks to make fit in better.  I have to imagine one of the characters from there will make the jump to Smash in DLC, likely Waddle Dee but arguments can be made for a number of them, from Marx being much more important to Dark Meta Knight's even easier transfer what with being an echo fighter.
Kirby definitely has a lot of neat canidates, especially with Star Allies bringing them back into the spot light.  Though it'll likely be Bandana Dee since he's essentially the last of the 4 main Kirby characters not in the game.

In regards to Kirby and Smash.  Sakurai has always been directing the series since 64 as far as I know.  Smash was original going to be an original fighting game until Sakurai decided to replace the placeholder characters with the original roster.  (Captain Falcon inherited the movesets of the original fighters.)  But you can definitely feel the influence that Kirby Super Star had on Sakurai when he first started on Smash.  Especially when you compare the recent Kirby games with Smash, it almost feels like Smash is "Kirby Super Star the fighting game, but not Kirby centric".  Though one could make the argument that Kirby evolved to be closer to Smash, thus their similar combat styles.
#1004  November 06, 2018, 02:26:21 am
    • Brazil
I don't think Chun-Li's making it, in fact, with Guile as an Assist Trophy, I think she's out. She could be reduced to just a Spirit: an honorable mention in the form of a power-up.
You do realize that Chun-Li is much more iconic than he is, right? Also, there is no reason for us to believe that spirits are not gonna be playable at some point. Regarding Kirby, though, I think the one with most chance right now is Bandana Waddle Dee, for obvious reasons, but I still think its strange to make him DLC instead of a character from the base roster. I know he is a popular and beloved character, but I don't know if he would call as much attention as DLC as some other newcomers we have.
Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:30:34 am by Macaulyn97
#1005  November 06, 2018, 02:29:01 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
time to get back to the blog where we discuss a new assist trophy:

Today's Item
Spring Man Assist Trophy
Spring Man jumps and dashes around the stage while using his stretchy arms to punch, punch, punch—just like he does in the ARMS game. In a pinch, he can unleash his powerful rush attack to pummel the opponent!

i'm glad that arms is in smash bros now
#1006  November 06, 2018, 03:54:36 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
This might have been one of the biggest surprises of the direct for me.  I could have sworn that ARMS would be a shoo-in for a DLC character.
#1007  November 06, 2018, 04:12:10 am
    • Brazil
#1008  November 06, 2018, 04:47:47 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Indeed, no written out rule declares that anyone in as an assist trophy is currently disqualified from being a playable character.  It does, however, logically leave one questioning what they would do with the assist trophy version should a playable version be added.  The playable version would either have to look drastically different enough from the summonable version so they do not get mixed up by players when both are on the field or they would have to drop the trophy version.  Which then would require a replacement, else you end up causing some form of complaint that your DLC character is paying to remove game content along with adding the character.
#1009  November 06, 2018, 05:18:39 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Indeed, no written out rule declares that anyone in as an assist trophy is currently disqualified from being a playable character.  It does, however, logically leave one questioning what they would do with the assist trophy version should a playable version be added.  The playable version would either have to look drastically different enough from the summonable version so they do not get mixed up by players when both are on the field or they would have to drop the trophy version.  Which then would require a replacement, else you end up causing some form of complaint that your DLC character is paying to remove game content along with adding the character.
Or they could just swap the palette of the assist trophy lol
#1010  November 06, 2018, 06:26:14 am
    • Brazil
Or they could add Ribbon Girl, which is also a popular character from ARMS.
#1011  November 06, 2018, 12:27:54 pm
    • USA
Yes, it's not technically impossible, but the way that Sakurai talked about assist trophies and Mii fighter costumes kind of left the impression that these are characters that never had a chance of making it as fighters.  I get that ARMS started development too late to make it into the base roster, but I also feel like if Sakurai wanted to leave the DLC option on the table he wouldn't have put in all the work to make the assist trophy in the first place.
#1012  November 06, 2018, 01:03:25 pm
    • Brazil
Yes, it's not technically impossible, but the way that Sakurai talked about assist trophies and Mii fighter costumes kind of left the impression that these are characters that never had a chance of making it as fighters.  I get that ARMS started development too late to make it into the base roster, but I also feel like if Sakurai wanted to leave the DLC option on the table he wouldn't have put in all the work to make the assist trophy in the first place.
That makes no sense whatsoever. There is absolutely nothing regarding the assist trophy that indicates there will be no ARMS DLC, specially because its not like the assist trophies have a big and creative moveset, like a playable character is likely to have, just have that guy stretch his arms to punch people and thats enough for an assist, but a playable character will have a lot better moves than him.
#1013  November 06, 2018, 02:38:41 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yes it does make sense. Assist trophies and Mii fighter costumes were used in 4 to deconfirm things for all intents and purposes. And he's talking specifically about Spring Man, not all potential ARMS reps, I don't understand how you didn't realize that based on context.

The twintail girl is a heavy possible, since she's only in the game as a soul- souls are just stickers so they are less of a hard deconfirm than an assist trophy would be.
#1014  November 06, 2018, 08:08:40 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:12:16 pm by PineappleProducer
#1015  November 06, 2018, 11:06:13 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Really? People are offended by a sprite that references a game from 30+ years ago?

Can these people just jump off a cliff now?
#1016  November 07, 2018, 01:02:53 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
I wish I could but I’m not that stupid.
#1017  November 07, 2018, 03:09:54 am
    • USA
This week's song goes with everything.

Arranged by Yuzo Koshiro, who's done a cubic buttload of music for pretty much every major game company and a ton of high profile games, from Streets of Rage to Namco X Capcom to Shenmue.

Also, Sakurai just tweeted out that the DLC roster has been officially locked in along with a plea for fans to stop assaulting him with character requests.

We've all seen the meme, but this is literally Sakurai saying "never ask me for anything ever again."  Delicious.
#1018  November 07, 2018, 04:10:57 am
    • Brazil
Can you blame him? I'm sure people annoyed him to death after Waluigi got deconfirmed, so I can imagine the same thing happened after they announced there would be five DLC characters. Its good for him to tell people to shut up, I don't think there is anything that can be done at this point regarding the roster.
#1019  November 07, 2018, 04:25:54 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I'm already content with the roster and I'm glad they already confirmed that the 5 fighters have been chosen. Now I can tell Nintendo to shut up and take my money for the Fighter's Pass.

Also, Guile's not the only SF rep to be shown. Guile appears as a spirit alongside E. Honda, Balrog, Vega, Charlie, Blanka, Sagat and M. Bison. I also noticed Zack from FF7 appears as a spirit.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#1020  November 07, 2018, 04:30:06 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
wow they got an entire shadowloo team to be spirits. that's cool