YesNoOk

Which characters are in most need of new sprites/resprites (Read 7941 times)

Started by Diek Stiekem, June 08, 2021, 04:50:49 pm
Share this topic:
Which characters are in most need of new sprites/resprites
#1  June 08, 2021, 04:50:49 pm
    • Netherlands
The title kinda says it all.

Ever since Capcom's last sprite based fighting games, namely Capcom vs SNK 2 (CvS2) and

Capcom Fighting Jam (CFJ), the difference of sprite quality of different characters in said games itself was jarring to say the least.

MvC2 worked better since it used all CPS2 style sprites thrown together.

A case can be made for CvS2, with so many new (SNK) characters to be drawn.

Capcom chose to recycle a lot of the Street Fighter cast sprites from the SF Alpha series.

The Alpha characters stand out compared to the others, they're wider in scale as well.

I can understand them recycling the newcomers from Alpha 3, since they're sprites were new.

The biggest sore thumb is obviously Morrigan.

CFJ was a mess, it has jokingly been called a Mugen compilation game.

Sprites resources, varying in quality, from different vastly different games were just thrown together.

(Downgraded CPS3 sprites, CvS, SF Alpha, Darkstalkers)

Obviously Capcom has moved away from sprite based game development.

Which leaves the Mugen community with either existing sprites or having to create sprites themselves.

Which boils down to my initial question, which character is in dire need of new, fresh sprites?

(I get that this topic is being mainly focused on CvS style so far but feel free to name anything else)

Here are some of my picks:

Sagat:

Has had the same sprite ever since the first SF Alpha game.

Were the rest of the cast the first of SFA who were on the CvS(2) roster got nice and shiny new sprites up to par with the new sprites for the SNK cast, Sagat did not.

To this day, I still find it a strange move.

Zangief:

While seeing his sprite in CvS was still bearable to an extend, his sprite (rework) in CFJ was absolutely horrendous.

Capcom's main grappler deserves a cosmetic rework.

All the Darkstalkers:

Don't get me wrong, I still love DS their sprite work in their on respective game franchise.

Seeing them in CvS2 or CFJ just hurts my soul.

Demitri and Morrigan look so washed out, Pyron looks stubby and almost like a dwarf.

Sadly this is the same case when it comes to Mugen.

Luckily, Li Kun did a splendid job giving us a new sprite set for Morrigan and Lilith.

So far the rest of Night Warriors have not been so fortunate..

With all the Midnight Bliss sprite projects done for other characters, Demitri especially feels unloved.

Personally I would love to see a new sprite set for Pyron.

Which legacy characters are in desperate need of new sprite according to you?
"Such Heroic Nonsense!"

Re: Which characters are in most need of new sprites/resprites
#2  June 08, 2021, 08:11:38 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Are there any images here? I don't see any. If so, I don't think any of your image embeds are working. Try using imgur and make sure to use proper image tags.
#3  June 08, 2021, 08:25:37 pm
    • Netherlands
Are there any images here? I don't see any. If so, I don't think any of your image embeds are working. Try using imgur and make sure to use proper image tags.

I've linked no images, I just meant this as discussion material.
"Such Heroic Nonsense!"

#4  June 08, 2021, 08:42:19 pm
  • Jesus died for our sins... one more won't hurt
    • Spain
Not CvS style, but I think all DDR Creations characters should get revamped with new sprites, as the black outlines look kind of outdated and some of the alternate colors look weird under my eyes.

I think remaking the cartoon characters like this could work (Original left, remake right), but IDK about characters like sho-nuff, who are live-action.
#5  June 20, 2021, 02:46:01 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Sagat:

Has had the same sprite ever since the first SF Alpha game.

Were the rest of the cast the first of SFA who were on the CvS(2) roster got nice and shiny new sprites up to par with the new sprites for the SNK cast, Sagat did not.

To this day, I still find it a strange move.
It has indeed a resprite and a very good looking one, look at "SF3 Sagat" on Google and you'll see that there're like 3-4 chars with this style

Not CvS style, but I think all DDR Creations characters should get revamped with new sprites, as the black outlines look kind of outdated and some of the alternate colors look weird under my eyes.
More than a remake I would polish them since still look like Paint chars instead of cartoon ones. Maybe something like Warner does with his chars that still have outlines but with darker colors of the parts like skin and clothes instead just pitch black... and comparing with Warner's, DDR's look like someone who just started to sprite stuff few time ago, so unpolished and looks awful today

I would like to see a resprite of GGXX sprites to get more the look of Xrd and Strive, that would be great

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#6  June 20, 2021, 09:14:12 am

I think remaking the cartoon characters like this could work (Original left, remake right), but IDK about characters like sho-nuff, who are live-action.

The one on the left is better, has more definition and highlights, right one looks pale with no details.