YesNoOk

Last game you finished + 4 lines review.  (Read 1161712 times)

Started by Santtu, May 30, 2010, 07:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you finished + 4 lines review.
#2341  February 27, 2018, 03:03:08 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Pokémon SoulSilver

So I've been doing a little retrospective of Pokémon for fun while waiting for whatever the Switch has in store for the seires.  Having done generations 1 and 2 through the Virtual Console (Coulda just emulated them, but the benefits of transferring guys over with hidden abilities is currently useful to me) I skipped generation 3 as I'd have to erase my over a decade old save file on Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald and I'm not doing that, so I just jumped to four (I spent over a thousand hours in gen 3, I know it well enough anyways)

I tried Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and for the life of me, I could not hold an interest in it.  The world was boring, the selection of pokemon didn't captivate me, the story wasn't on par with previous entries and their extended universe. (Which I totally am in the bias for, I loved the Pokémon Adventures manga way back when for gen 1, and gen 2 is by all means just an extension of it.  Gen 3 wasn't as good, but certainly I enjoyed it better than this)  So, I pulled the nostalgia card and went with the Silver remake I've had but not played.

And yeah, in newer graphical detail than I have fond memories of gen 2 or not, the general game still holds up wonderfully.  From New Bark to Mt. Silver, it was a joy to run through Johto and the future Kanto.  Gave myself a minor handicap with not using any of the starters, but evidently, Steelix breaks the balance of most of the game and most trainers throughout don't have an answer to fighting it.  Pretty much only needed the Red Gyarados, Steelix and a Noctowl to get through, until Blue then Red demolished me.

But now that I've hit the game's long awaited true ending, beating Red, I'm left wondering if I should jump into White and its sequel, which I've never played so I'm truely unfamiliar with it outside references in gen 6 and 7 and am curious, or suck it up and transfer my winning team over to one of the Sinnoh games and speed through that with a guide.  I'd rather not force myself into a game, but I feel I'm missing the actual point of gen 4.  Would be a great time to get that Sinnoh remaster announcement trailer, Game Freak.
Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:15:06 am by Long John Killer
#2342  March 04, 2018, 07:13:51 pm
Mario Odyssey

Absolutely fantastic to play, but frustrating to complete. I see what everyone means about too many moons. Basically I had 35-40 hours of fun, but played for 55 hours or so. I recommend getting 500+ moons and doing Darker Side, but not going for all 880 moons.
#2343  March 30, 2018, 12:59:45 am
Final Fantasy IX

I replayed this recently. Took a whole 70 hours. While some aspects of it are really aging, it's still one of my favorite games ever. The writing still holds up, some bits were even better than I remembered. The ending made me tear up. For me, this is always going to be the JRPG that all other JRPGs are measured against.

Chrono Cross

While I played this a ton as a kid, I never completed it. Now I have. And while a lot of the earlier game is still as good as I remember, the writing in the lategame is some of the most terrible garbage I've ever come across, and it's completely at odds with the tone and style of the rest of the game. It's pointless convoluted garbage that I'm fucking stunned made it into a release this high profile, with writing so genuinely good earlier on in the game. This is the biggest disappointment I've had in quite a while.

Music's still fucking great though.
#2344  March 31, 2018, 08:22:06 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Crash Bandicoot 1 (PSX)

As in 100% the entire thing.

Anyone who says this game is hard isn't too far off. Anyone who says this is the Dark Souls of my dickhole or whatever is a jabroni and needs to grow up. The game DOES get pretty challenging near to the end and if you decide to go for all the gems and those two keys, though for the most part any fuckups or WHOAs you have sometimes come down to your own mistakes rather than the game being bullshit for the sake of it like most games I could mention. That said there are levels that can really test your patience if you go for their gems. I had the most deaths on Slippery Climb, Road To Nowhere and High Road, Jaws Of Darkness, Cortex Power and The Lab, though oddly enough I actually did Fumbling In The Dark and its gem on one single go without retrying. And honestly it was still a fun ride the whole way through even when I kept overshooting jumps leading to another WHOA.

The save system is dumb as balls tho
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#2345  April 01, 2018, 02:38:41 am
Now do the remake with the fucked up hitboxes and the time trials!
#2346  April 01, 2018, 12:59:36 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Don't have a PS4. Besides it can't be THAT bad.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#2347  April 01, 2018, 02:11:20 pm
AHA

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you sweet summer child

(also it'll be on steam and switch in July)
#2348  April 09, 2018, 10:23:52 am
resident evil (remake).
its a very good game, but some of its design choices are frustratingly clunky. the items management specifically, having to go back and forth to the items box to dump keys and herbs is very tedious.
i was fine with it in the previous games but i guess i got spoiled when i replayed re4 before playing this game. that game nailed the items management, from having the knife mapped to a dedicated button and making the key items given their own storage space.

7.5 play this game before re4.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2349  April 09, 2018, 10:42:07 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Kirby Star Allies
Have only beaten the main story as well as Level 3.5 of Ultimate Choice (since higher levels aren't unlocked yet), and it was a real blast for me despite the shortness.
The levels were great, the friends mechanics are executed well, great bosses, even greater nostalgia fanservice, THE RETURN OF GOOEY AND THE DREAMLAND 2 ANIMAL BUDDIES! Needless to say, I fell in love with the game.
Especially the final bosses took me by complete surprise.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
*snip*
As someone who played Pokémon Gen 5, I liked the original Black/White (but completely ignored Black 2/White 2).
Mario Odyssey

Absolutely fantastic to play, but frustrating to complete. I see what everyone means about too many moons. Basically I had 35-40 hours of fun, but played for 55 hours or so. I recommend getting 500+ moons and doing Darker Side, but not going for all 880 moons.
Sorry, but there aren't 880 moons...there are 999 moons.
That means you are STILL not finished.
Don't have a PS4. Besides it can't be THAT bad.
Don't listen to Snakebyte. He's overreacting. Crash N.Sane Trilogy is not bad at all. Infact, it's the definitive way of playing Crash 1 and 2 (not sure about Crash 3, though).
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:56:15 am by TrinitroRoy
#2350  April 09, 2018, 11:16:05 pm
    • USA
Oh, I never even got to gen 5 since then, because I had to start up Crystal and get a shiny Celebi, once I realized it was shiny unlocked.

And so, 6 weeks later of soft resetting in front of the shine to summon it, here I am still waiting for it to pop up shiny.  Yes sir, fun times are being had.  When I get this thing, it will sit in my party for all time, regardless of how unhelpful it may be to the situation, because I am not giving up on this thing.  I will have it eventually.
#2351  April 12, 2018, 04:33:36 am
    • USA
    • blazeheatnix1@gmail.com
Super Mario Odyssey

This game is amazing. Galaxy, for years, has always been my favorite Mario game despite Galaxy 2 being superior gameplay-wise. And that's because the first game tried to go in a bold new direction for Mario: a surreal Miyazaki-esque adventure rather than the standard colorful Fisher Price-y stuff the franchise had been doing earlier. And Odyssey delivers that in droves. I'm not entirely sure if it trumps Galaxy 1 for my favorite quite yet but good lord, this made me feel like a kid again. I can't remember the last time I felt a childlike sense of wonder and joy.
#2352  April 19, 2018, 09:51:49 am
resident evil revelation.
mediocre.
barely any boss battles (with the ones that are there being very underwhelming), convoluted story, weak characters (expect for parker) and no puzzles to speak of.
there are some improvement to the controls, like shooting while walking and making knife attacks mapped to one button instead of having to aim them with one and swinging them with another.
but it came at a great cost, the health system is invisible and not extendable and the amount of weapons you can carry are limited to 3 guns only (two, if you count that the pistol is the only weapon that can break free from scripted events, which makes it irreplaceable).
the genesis is one the good additions to the game. i liked searching for items instead of having them handed to me and i liked how it was also used to kill certain enemies.
the game also likes to disrupt your progress by making you play as different characters in other scenarios right along side your campaign, i probably wouldn't have hated it if the characters weren't so cringeworthy (especially that hacker character).
raid mode is okay. but the characters only have one melee attack which is fine for the main story but it really hurts this mode.
part of what made mercenaries mode great is all of the melee attacks each character has and how satisfying it was to pull them off on enemies (leon's suplex was my fav).
i doubt i'll ever find myself coming back to the game just for it.

5/10

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2353  April 22, 2018, 03:26:16 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
NieR Automata

Enjoyed it way more than I expected I would. Crazy story which is standard in Neir games and multiple endings. Great looking ASSets, some parts are kind of like mini games (hacking, the flight suit phases of some stages, etc), the combat is mostly good, especially A2 who was very satisfying to play with. Plenty of weapon variety which changes up your combos. The soundtrack is excellent, can't stress it enough, it's one of the best soundtracks in a game I think I've experienced. The environments are all well made, my only issues are the occasional invisible walls and the Flooded City and Amusement Park should have been bigger and needed more hostiles.
#2354  April 22, 2018, 06:02:00 am
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Was fun. Clocked on hardest. Took my time, got 100%. Enjoyed scenery. Like previous TR better but was ok. Ending was anti-climatic - boss battle wasn't hard at all compared to other battles in game. Best part of game probably the battles after you unlock shotguns etc. Heaps of optional tombs. Meat of the game occurs around the soviet installation area, which you have access to from quite early in game. If you have 4k gaming pc with GTX1080s or higher, playing @ max settings, well worth the play-through.

Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:05:08 am by PhantomD
#2355  May 10, 2018, 06:39:32 pm
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Still holds up great. Way better than Ocarina of Time.

Uncharted 4

I didn't like this the first time I played it, around two years ago, and stopped pretty early on. I'm not sure what past me was smoking because I loved this game from beginning to end. It's now my favorite in the series, and while my backlog is too big to justify it right now, I'll probably replay it in the future and go for the Platinum.

Observer

Honestly, this was a pretty big disappointment. An amazing premise that didn't deliver, barely had any gameplay and was far too reminiscent of Layers of Fear -- lots of hallways you walk down with crazy graphics, no substantive interactivity. I'd kill for a more RPG-like experience in this world.
#2356  May 15, 2018, 04:39:24 am
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
God of War

Barring Ascension, I loved all of the previous God of War games. After 3, though, I was a little burnt out. Thankfully this new entry takes things in a very different direction. Kratos has gone from an angry hunk of muscle to a relatable father, struggling both to forget his past while raising his son. The game is absolutely filled with ambient dialog, helping to flesh out the relationship between Kratos and Atreus.

Gameplay-wise, the reboot takes a fresh new turn for the series. While the introduction of RPG-like stats are a bit unnecessary in my opinion, the changes are generally for the better. It requires more thought, feels even more visceral,  and has more variety than the previous games.

It goes without saying, but the game is absolutely gorgeous. Sony Santa Monica has once again put their technical mastery on full display here. The sheer amount of detail is simply unreal.

If you like character driven, challenging action games be sure to pick this up. It's damn near perfect.

9/10
#2357  May 15, 2018, 05:14:36 am
    • USA
What would you say to someone who has never played the series, just viewed its rise and fall in popularity from the other side of the console gap, but wants to see what the big deal is with this game being apparently game of the year?  The first three just never seemed worth the hype they were getting without playing them.  Which is I'm sure a similar feeling to Halo over on the 360 for those stuck to the PS3, but my closest comparison is Devil May Cry and Dante's Inferno, and neither blew my mind. (Unless you want to stretch Kingdom Hearts to being comparable, but they seem too different in gameplay to me)

This one though the setting does very much catch my interest, and the father/son dynamic sounds much more engaging than mad dad getting revenge.  Is it worth just skipping the first three?  I can pretty much already gather what the big plot points were just from internet osmosis.
#2358  May 15, 2018, 05:42:58 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Like most soft reboots, playing the previous games will give you a wider appreciation of the story beats in this one but it is absolutely not necessary. The game will fill in all you need to know about how much of a shitbird Kratos is and his desire to make sure his son does not repeat his mistakes.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2359  May 15, 2018, 07:37:52 pm
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
What would you say to someone who has never played the series, just viewed its rise and fall in popularity from the other side of the console gap, but wants to see what the big deal is with this game being apparently game of the year?  The first three just never seemed worth the hype they were getting without playing them.  Which is I'm sure a similar feeling to Halo over on the 360 for those stuck to the PS3, but my closest comparison is Devil May Cry and Dante's Inferno, and neither blew my mind. (Unless you want to stretch Kingdom Hearts to being comparable, but they seem too different in gameplay to me)

This one though the setting does very much catch my interest, and the father/son dynamic sounds much more engaging than mad dad getting revenge.  Is it worth just skipping the first three?  I can pretty much already gather what the big plot points were just from internet osmosis.

As Speedpreacher said, the game brings you up to speed on most of the relevant details, so I'd say go for it.

If I had to compare it to other games games, it feels more like a cross between Darksiders 2 and Dark Souls, than anything Devil May Cry related.
#2360  May 15, 2018, 07:56:36 pm
    • USA
Alright, cool.  When I'm in the market for another game and maybe if they lower the price, I'll go for it.  Still behind on other PS4 games first, though.  Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn still sit unopened, giving me the evil eye whenever I pass on starting them up and going for the Switch instead.

Yeah, I was getting a Dark Souls vibe with the combat keeping you more grounded when watching trailers, but Darksiders and their Zelda knock-off feel?  Neat, I like that in a game.  Thanks.