YesNoOk

Help Scaling Down Charaters (Read 358 times)

Started by dd900, January 25, 2014, 10:41:16 pm
Share this topic:
Help Scaling Down Charaters
#1  January 25, 2014, 10:41:16 pm
    • USA
    • dustindavidson900@gmail.com
Hello fellow mugen lovers. This is my first post here so be gentle with me.

I scaled a character down considerably. From "1" to ".62" for both xscale and yscale. To get the correct head and mid position I used this formula.
(  OriginalAttributeValue / ( OldScale / NewScale ) ) = NewAttributeValue

Now would I apply that same formula to ground.back/front etc...? Also what about height, most of the characters I have just have it set to the default 60. Should I change that as well? If so is there an easier way other than the "ArtMoney" approach described in the CNS tutorial?

Other than my couple questions if there is a better way to go about scaling down characters feel free to let me know about it. :)
Thank you
Re: Help Scaling Down Charaters
#2  January 25, 2014, 10:56:09 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
You should use localcoord instead of scale. You adjust the localcoord of the character in its .def file, in the Info section. If it's not there, just add it.
Some useful info: http://elecbyte.com/mugendocs/coordspace.html

Localcoord is better because it scales your character as a whole. Scale only affects your character sprites and will leave things misaligned. Think of it like this:

A localcoord value of 320,240 is considered a scale of 1:1. If you wanted to half that size, you'd use a localcoord of 640,480 for a scale of .5:.5. Note that you can only really use whole numbers for localcoord so round up or down accordingly.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#3  January 25, 2014, 11:08:31 pm
    • USA
I thought of that actually, but I wasn't sure if using an obscure resolution for the localcoord would mess things up or not. I have been slowly getting myself through the Docs now that I am becoming more serious about my mugen collection. Thank you for your help.
#4  January 25, 2014, 11:23:14 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Except that Localcoord doesn't work on WinMugen, just in case some his characters want to be converted down, or being made for WinMugen. That's what I've been doing with small characters wanting to upscale them in Winmugen & vice versa. But if he's making a character in Mugen 1.0, then yea, perhaps use Localcoord for that.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#5  January 25, 2014, 11:54:39 pm
    • USA
Yeah 1.0-1.1, for now I'm just doing edits, but I have slowly been working on some custom character sprites on the side. How big do you guys feel a character ( Ryu sized ) should be in comparison to the screen?