YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2500636 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:

GOH

Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#221  December 28, 2011, 01:25:10 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
http://www.shacknews.com/article/71747/kojima-conflicted-on-metal-gear-solid-remake

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has heard your cries for a remake of the original game, but personally feels conflicted about the prospect. He says the idea interests him as a producer, but creatively he would want to be hands-off the project if it ever came to fruition.

"There are a lot of people wanting remakes of the original, and as producer I want to answer those calls" said Kojima. "But as a creator I'm not very interested in going back."

"If we were to do it, it would have to be a total remake - the only thing that would be the same would be the story," he told OPM (via Joystiq). "If it happened at some point I would stay as a producer, but would have to hand off most of the actual creating."

That may sound like he has changes in mind, but he actually doesn't want to touch it. "If you change anything, you change the game - and I want to avoid that," he said. "If you bring the gameplay up to modern standards, then you lose a bit of the original game. It was a game made for a certain era - not just the story, but the controls and everything about it reflect that era in which the game was made."

So in summary, Kojima wants to provide a remake, but doesn't want to create the remake, and he feels it would have to be completely redone, but doesn't want to change anything and harm the purity of the original's gameplay. It seems like he's of two minds about the issue, so it's hard to tell which will win out in the end.

His hesitance might be justified, due to a previous remake attempt, The Twin Snakes from Silicon Knights. While critically acclaimed thanks to its improved graphics and smarter AI, the addition of an MGS2-inspired first-person mode was blamed for making the game too easy and ruining the Sniper Wolf boss battle entirely.
#222  December 28, 2011, 02:32:57 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
For you PS3 folk, I have great news.

The cult classic PS1 platfomer Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is now available on PSN store for a relatively low price.  If you find yourself unable to play the awesome Wii remake, I highly suggest you download this.  The graphics have not aged well at all, but the game itself is an incredibly underrated gem that more people need to experience, and has some of the best music of any platformer of the era.  It's one of my favorite games/series of all time so I felt the need to plug it a little, sorry.
#223  December 29, 2011, 09:43:07 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Rumor: God of War 4 is in development, has a online co-op mode  in which Kratos and Deimos work together..that rumor is written in the german PSM3 ..no sources are published.
#224  December 29, 2011, 09:54:45 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
PSN has setup a new year folder where games that allow group play are being sold, some on sale, this is good news for those that want games to play with groups of friends, I know that those tend to be my favorite for parties.
#225  December 30, 2011, 04:22:19 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
#226  December 30, 2011, 07:18:04 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Money
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#227  December 30, 2011, 09:04:00 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
the acchievement game for steam today is meat boy, ( Hate it btw)  the odd part is that the levels arent accessible due to a problem with the sql server.

The odder part is that the problem was reported to them previously and they decided to ignore it.
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1641/itsfinetrustme.png
#228  December 30, 2011, 09:19:32 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
"It's fine, trust me! Go ahead without me!"

Well, looks like it wasn't really a good idea. The phrase itself sounded like a death flag to me.
#229  December 30, 2011, 09:35:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
lol@the hacking.

especially now that there is technology to just send data to the server and let it perform the hardcoded operations.
#230  December 31, 2011, 07:18:19 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Big Game Makers Take Names Off SOPA Support

Nintendo, Electronic Arts and Sony Electronics — some of the largest video game companies in the world — have all pulled their support for an online bill that could encourage censorship online, according to an updated list of supporters of the bill.

Those three companies all supported the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) when it first entered Congress, according to a report from Joystiq in November.

SOPA, along with the PROTECT IP act in the Senate, give content-producing companies the right to order a take down for a website that they believe is infringing on a copyright. If you even host links to content that infringes on a copyright, you have to take it down.

If not, the copyright owner can request that the infringing site has its advertising and transaction revenue cut off. Or it can request that a domain name — like businessinsider.com — be blacklisted and rendered inaccessible.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-largest-game-companies-in-the-world-have-dropped-their-support-for-a-bill-the-internet-hates-2011-12?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Falleyinsider%2Fsilicon_alley_insider+%28Silicon+Al#ixzz1i8a2g9BF

source http://www.businessinsider.com/the-largest-game-companies-in-the-world-have-dropped-their-support-for-a-bill-the-internet-hates-2011-12?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Falleyinsider%2Fsilicon_alley_insider+%28Silicon+Al

the list of supporters for SOPA can be seen here http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/Rogue%20Websites/List%20of%20SOPA%20Supporters.pdf

#231  January 05, 2012, 12:08:05 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
#232  January 05, 2012, 02:34:28 am
yeah i don't remember capcom making as many pr disasters years ago as they have lately
#233  January 05, 2012, 07:41:36 am
  • The Goddess Returns
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#234  January 05, 2012, 10:57:27 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Activision is not supporting SOPA?
#235  January 05, 2012, 08:57:46 pm
    • USA
Its Activision. Of course they are.
#236  January 05, 2012, 09:02:20 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

And several other videogame companies and Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, last time I checked. I don't see what's SO shocking about Capcom doing the same.
#237  January 05, 2012, 09:05:35 pm
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
Sony and Nintendo stopped supporting it.
#238  January 05, 2012, 09:10:22 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#239  January 05, 2012, 09:14:35 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Sony and Nintendo stopped supporting it.

Not totally true

Big Game Makers Take Names Off SOPA Support

The Stop Online Piracy Act, currently a bill before the Congress, is utterly detested by the Internet, in case you don't read the Internet. Gamers don't think much of it either, as it would have some rather stupid ramifications for how they enjoy that lifestyle and consume its products. So it's of note that Nintendo, Sony and Electronic Arts have taken their names off the latest list of supporters of the bill.

Business Insider points us to the official Senate Judiciary committee roundup of supporters and notes that, last time, Sony, Nintendo and EA were on this list. This time they aren't. It's not hard to guess why, given what happened to GoDaddy; it's terrible PR in the sector that is most opposed to the bill and requires the most management, even on a good day.

Now, Sony still has three music divisions listed in support, and as Voodoo Extreme notes, it, Nintendo and EA are members of the Entertainment Software Association, and that organization is still listed in support. So there's still lobbying in support of this bill done on behalf of all three, and you better believe they are very influential members of that organization. My opinion is that one of the three, maybe, and two of them definitely, could get the ESA to drop its name. That is my opinion, though.

To make a record of it, yes, we're aware that Anonymous has allegedly threatened Sony over this. Again, this is by definition a leaderless organization, so anyone can make and upload a video threat in its name. Similar calls to action have been shot down by others within Anonymous in the past. So whether this comes to pass, no one can say, and no one can say if this is even a legitimate threat.

But it does speak, generally, for the anger against SOPA, and it's not hard to see why Sony would pull its name—well, the names over its video game unit, anyway—from the bill in light of that. That's not to say it, Nintendo of America and EA no longer support it, not with the ESA still aboard.

http://kotaku.com/5872230/big-game-makers-take-names-off-sopa-support
#240  January 05, 2012, 09:20:29 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Not totally true
It's actually not even remotely true.

the article about Capcom supporting it said:
Last week, Business Insider erroneously reported that Nintendo, Sony and EA had quietly rescinded support for SOPA — a detail that Digital Trends, and hundreds of other publications repeated. The BI report was based on the fact that their names did not appear on an updated version of the Judiciary Committee’s official list of supporters. The problem is that their names never appeared on that list — only the ESA did — making their removal impossible.