YesNoOk

Dark Space: Gaia's Room (Read 5664 times)

Started by Agnibyte, June 24, 2013, 04:46:36 am
Share this topic:
Dark Space: Gaia's Room
#1  June 24, 2013, 04:46:36 am
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA

Alt Colors
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Get it here. Click the file name in the top center. Don't go down to the green button. Unless you want to.
Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:54:10 am by Agnibyte
Re: Dark Space: Gaia's Room
#2  June 24, 2013, 05:32:26 am
  • I must continue my training...
Classic...kinda reminds me of Q-bert, tho.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#3  June 24, 2013, 09:35:12 am
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Didn't Tamez make something similar to this?
#4  June 24, 2013, 09:37:52 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
^ Tamez did the exact same stage posted, Dark Space: Gaia´s Room but with the difference Agnibyte did some alt colors which is pretty original on its own. But hey is mugen, you can do whatever you want.
Chilling
#5  June 24, 2013, 12:47:26 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
yep, the only difference with Tamez' version is that he extended it a little, if i recall correctly!
very cool idea to add alternate colors :)
#6  June 26, 2013, 02:52:16 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
This is really unexpected, but really cool. 

So often in mugen we have multiple conversions of stages that come from fighting games. 
But to see an area in a non-fighter be adapted into a stage by different creators doesn't happen that often. 
When it does, it's interesting to see how different people choose to set everything up. 

It also shows how great a game this was, if it inspired both of us to make this part of it. 
@Agnibyte:  Did you play the hell out of this game as a kid too? 
Get all the red jewels and everything? 

Damn.  This release makes me want to do that other part of the game I almost made into a stage last year.   :eaugh:

#7  June 26, 2013, 09:01:55 am
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA
..it's interesting to see how different people choose to set everything up. 

I tried that too. I wanted to see if you used the better version of the background, with both the large blue and orange background, if it used the same amount of frames, if you used the same amount of frames, if you had to jigsaw it at all, was I about to waste a lot of time jigsawing, did you tessellate the background in the same way...

But your link is dead. Good thing that never happens to me. #SarcasticJokesWorkOnTheInternet

Did you play the hell out of this game as a kid too?
Get all the red jewels and everything? 

I had a big brother and a spoiled baby cousin, so I couldn't get much done. I was able to beat it once, and I went on to something else. Maybe Romancing SaGa 3, I don't know.

This release makes me want to do that other part of the game I almost made into a stage last year.

Doo it.
#8  June 26, 2013, 01:20:16 pm
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
But your link is dead.

Oh?  Is it down again?  Figures.  My free site goes offline all the time these days. 
It was up for almost a month there recently. 
One of these days maybe I'll get better hosting. 

I tried that too. I wanted to see if you used the better version of the background, with both the large blue and orange background, if it used the same amount of frames, if you used the same amount of frames, if you had to jigsaw it at all, was I about to waste a lot of time jigsawing, did you tessellate the background in the same way...

Well honestly my Dark Space was a bit of a rush job, done on a whim inspired by a longplay. 
It's not up to my current personal standard of work (which started with my Battle Master stages). 

To answer your questions, I didn't use the tile from TSR, I ripped everything myself. 
Instead of looking for a place to tile the main background and using sin controls, I just scaled up the 475 frames and made one big background. 
And even though I really like how my falling stars turned out, I don't think I even got the accurate timing for the three distinct speeds of them. 
I just did easy multiples of each other. 

Also because of the way I indexed it, mine's colors are probably wrong.   :gonkgoi:

I had a big brother and a spoiled baby cousin, so I couldn't get much done. I was able to beat it once, and I went on to something else. Maybe Romancing SaGa 3, I don't know.

Ah.  Well my family's interest in video games ended right after we beat Super Mario World together in one night.  We got it for Christmas and just blasted through the entire thing.  So I had free reign over it after that. 

Doo it.

I like how you say that even though I didn't specify what area.   :lugoi:
I'll see.  I have so many unfinished wips.  I swear it's like if I don't get inspiration and finish something immediately, I never finish it. 
#9  June 27, 2013, 11:53:41 am
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA
I have to admit that I have no clue what TSR is. All I found was The Sims Resource and Dungeons and Dragons.

I thought about slicing and sin controls (something like SFA3 Dictator), but it would still involve tiling above and right. But the sin looped every 64 frames, so it seemed easier to tile. The background tiles left or right after 128 frames, and the only up or down tiling that matched the sin movement were at frame 64 and 192. But as it moves down and to the left, the bottom row needed to start with the right half of frame 192, all of frame 64 in the middle, and the left half of frame 192 on the right side. I only had 256 frames, but it may be different with the game's other (better) background. The three stars were just set randomly for me.

I recall for taking screenshots at the larger size sometimes reshaped everything. It may have affected color.

[..] I didn't specify what area. 

Most of my stages are from Super Mario games. How ridiculous could it be?

Since I keep bumping this, I thought I'd add a pair of color sets and an arranged track.

Preview of arranged track (Reuse allowed)

Link updated here or in the first post.
#10  June 27, 2013, 01:14:57 pm
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
I have to admit that I have no clue what TSR is.

The Spriters Resource.  I try not to use their pre-ripped stuff because I want the animation timings anyway, so I just rip while I get them. 
But I used them for some of my pirate game stages, and for some textures for a wip that I couldn't get to rip right myself. 
#11  June 27, 2013, 02:00:04 pm
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA
I see. I wouldn't have used anything from there, but it really should've occurred to me that this place existed.