YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734218 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#621  August 18, 2018, 12:22:41 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Ask literally any developer if they’d like to have their IP in Smash Bros and 100% of them will answer yes.  Doesn’t really mean anything.
#622  August 18, 2018, 12:37:01 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Eh, I said it wasn't particularly noteworthy news.

I've seen people mention The Lost Vikings as an assist trophy, but you know, StarCraft was on the N64.  Now THAT'S a series with some video game history, that I could get behind being an assist trophy with some Zerglings and Hydralisks.  Maybe even Kerrigan or Jim Raynor.  I never played the sequel after Brood War, no idea who's still alive and kicking in it beyond redesigned Sarah and Jim.  But that's another series whose soundtrack getting a nod to in Smash would also be awesome.

Of course, that said, there's only one song above all others that deserves that spot.

Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:02:00 am by Long John Killer
#623  August 18, 2018, 01:04:44 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Ask literally any developer if they’d like to have their IP in Smash Bros and 100% of them will answer yes.  Doesn’t really mean anything.
I'm pretty sure ZUN would actually say "no" if someone asked him if he'd like to have Touhou in Smash Bros.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#624  August 18, 2018, 02:38:05 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#625  August 18, 2018, 10:34:50 pm
  • hecc
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#626  August 21, 2018, 06:07:22 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
But, then again, how many people even know of Touhou at all?

While it is growing in popularity, I seriously think it is relatively unknown outside of Japan. And if it did gain massive exposure, I do think a lot of people would instinctively dismiss it a weeaboo fad. No offense, but the series has this weird Japanese aura to it, to the point where it might turn people off.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#627  August 21, 2018, 06:42:46 am
  • hecc
Ironically that might end up actually working in its favor to have a rep in Smash since Sakurai is known for putting in at least one "Who the fuck is this?" character in every Smash game so....who knows?

Not saying its gonna happen and I'm certainly not holding my breath but....its still a possibility
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#628  August 21, 2018, 07:34:03 am
    • Canada
But, then again, how many people even know of Touhou at all?

While it is growing in popularity, I seriously think it is relatively unknown outside of Japan. And if it did gain massive exposure, I do think a lot of people would instinctively dismiss it a weeaboo fad. No offense, but the series has this weird Japanese aura to it, to the point where it might turn people off.

Okay, speaking as a non-weebo person who generally dislikes any anime made after 1995, I had never heard of Touhou before getting into Mugen. Now that I know about it, I find it really... really weird and creepy.

Like My little pony fandom, or Furry levels of weird and also creepy.

I would advise Nintendo stay very much away from it.
#629  August 21, 2018, 07:51:27 am
    • USA
You're looking at the fan base.  It's a basic rule for EVERYTHING not to judge a subject solely by its followers.  From what I've seen, Touhou in of itself is fairly harmless.  Shump with harmless if not standout anime style about turning beaten bosses into allies.  About as risqué as Sonic the Hedgehog.  Probably less-so, at least Sega intentionally went full bizarre sex appeal with creating Rogue the Bat.

That said, Touhou also seems to be a weird case of surviving by the graces of fan reinterpretation and exploitation.  I'm not sure how much canon material there is that people actually look forward to being in a proper representation of anything out of that series.
#630  August 21, 2018, 12:01:49 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The official printworks are effectively the franchise's way of fleshing out its characters since the main shmups don't do a particularly amazing job at that; for instance, you'd never know the latest final boss, Okina, has the ability to create youkai by filling an object with energy produced by putting a door on its back if you only played Hidden Star in Four Seasons, as this was only explained in the Wild and Horned Hermit manga.

Frankly I'm surprised people genuinely think Touhou has a chance of being represented in Smash at all. Every third party has some history with Nintendo (Bayonetta is effectively second-party at this point, plus she was voted in), even Cloud, who (despite his game not being on a Nintendo console) represents the Final Fantasy series as a whole due to how iconic he is. Touhou has a few crappy fan games on the Switch and saw some of its characters appear in the 3DS Taiko Drum Master game, and that's it.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#631  August 21, 2018, 01:08:38 pm
    • USA
I don't know how much accuracy there is to the rumor, but I believe it's because there was a revived rumor from back in Melee in which Sakurai showed interest in adding Reimu as he personally liked the character?  Granted, Sakurai wants many odd choices that never go beyond that initial stage, or else we'd have ExciteBike as a playable character.

I'm nor for or against it myself.  From a objective standpoint, we haven't had a shump character representation yet, so that could be cool, but typically the very character design of such a game character wouldn't translate well into Smash without nerfing the character.  But then, so is pretty much everyone else.  You don't see Samus with the Ice Beam freezing people and killing them with missiles.
#632  August 21, 2018, 01:42:44 pm
I'm pretty sure ZUN would actually say "no" if someone asked him if he'd like to have Touhou in Smash Bros.

Source on that? This would be the first time for me to hear that statement.

probably , except if sakurai proved himself in a drink off against zun.
#633  August 21, 2018, 01:47:21 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Some King K. Rool gameplay for those interested:

Looks like the crown can be dropped on the stage and used as an item.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#634  August 21, 2018, 04:39:26 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
but typically the very character design of such a game character wouldn't translate well into Smash without nerfing the character.
That only counts if you go by the shmups, since the fighting games give the characters more physical moves; the projectile spam typically comes from the bullet button (B), rather than the specials themselves (C). If you go by Reimu's moveset in AoCF, which functions very similarly to Smash in the sense of moves being direction-based...
-5C/Neutral Special has her dash diagonally up and then diagonally down (reversed when on the lower plane).
-6C/Forward Special has her fire four quick projectiles that fan out slightly as they move forward.
-8C/Up Special is essentially Guile's Flash Kick.
-4C/Back Special has her fire a barrier some distance in front of her that hits once and nullifies projectiles.
-2C/Down Special has her disappear before reappearing with a dive kick.

Of course, Smash only needs four of those five, but then if you're going to represent the shmup genre, it'd make sense to incorporate projectiles a little more into the moveset as opposed to being mostly melee-based.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#635  August 21, 2018, 06:07:51 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#636  August 21, 2018, 06:26:04 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Yeah, I thought it was pretty sick. I'm really glad we got to see more of his moveset. I'm liking it more and more. I thought he looked a little small in his reveal trailer, but this gameplay footage thankfully alleviates that issue.

In the Japanese version of this video, his name is pronounced King "Kruel". I pray to god they pronounce it "Kay Rool" over here in the states like they do in that video I linked to.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#637  August 21, 2018, 06:52:17 pm
It's always been his name in Japanese, kuruuru. Why would you think the English pronunciation will suddenly change for no reason just because you're only discovering this now.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#638  August 21, 2018, 08:17:09 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
What makes it funnier is that was ALWAYS supposed to be the case.
K.Rool is damn near a literal anagram of Cruel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#639  August 21, 2018, 09:58:26 pm
Love the new hit sparks and effects.
#640  August 21, 2018, 11:12:51 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
K. Rool's potential as a fighter after seeing this is far past my expectations. He's got some nasty stuff here. Downside I see only is that opponents can turn his own crown against him via projectile.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!