YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734318 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#781  September 22, 2018, 01:16:18 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
If Sora was in 2nd place just behind Inkling and K. Rool in the sources you posted, your argument would have some leg to stand ("Sora is the best from the rest!" ), but as for now you only proved that Sora is objectively not the most popular choice for Smash.

It's not that bad, though. I did confirm Long John Killer's claim of relevancy, so I was fine with that. And about that 17th out of 20th place in that poll, what I was more interested in from that Source Gaming article was Sora being no. 1 out of all Square Enix reps. Behind him, in order, were Crono, 2B, Noctis Lucis Caelum and Neku Sakuraba.

So in three out of four polls, Sora's just right in there. My interest in the #Sora4Smash movement has nothing to do with me being a fan of Kingdom Hearts (I've never even played it), but in copyright control and leniency. Does Disney appear in the credits roll? Does having a Disney rep better Smash's chances with eSports, especially if ESPN (owned by Disney) airs them?
Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:19:42 am by no1wammy
#782  September 22, 2018, 01:38:59 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I don't think Disney has much of an interest in eSports, they didn't push Marvel to force MvCI to be a thing.  Heck, not exceedingly interested in mainstream gaming as a whole outside the long awaited KHIII because the mobile phone scene has proved lucrative enough for them.

However, one the other hand, Smash has an objectively large spotlight on it even outside those who play the game, and I could imagine them pressing for more of that spotlight to shine on them, once they got one foot in the door.  Give Smash Sora, sure, as long as we also get Mickey modeled after Castle of Illusion, for a random example. something along those lines.  Which of course would not be wanted by Sakurai, he's steadfast enough against Goku who has some points in his favor along with a fan following, never mind being forced to comply with Disney just for this one character that fans want.

I can be exaggerating Disney's wants, of course, just picturing how things would go from a business perspective.  Even with Kingdom Hearts III finally coming to be really be a thing, something of extraordinary hype for its fanbase, Disney's not exactly pushing it very much themselves, just your typical gaming expos.
#783  September 22, 2018, 04:19:54 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I highly doubt Sora will be in Smash period. He seems to be a character people will eventually forget.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#784  September 22, 2018, 04:26:59 am
    • USA
That I can wholeheartedly disagree with, people have been obsessed with him and the franchise for 16 years now.  The original and sequel were best-sellers for the PS2, it has a solid online fanbase as a series and it went hand-in-hand helping further push FF VII's popularity and vice-versa, which still sits atop the Final Fantasy franchise as its most recognizable face.  Sora will be forgotten once Cloud has been.

Unless you mean, like, his playstyle would be a poor match for Smash and the character will likely be low-tier and forgotten about that way.  Then maybe, he is kinda floaty.
#785  September 22, 2018, 02:25:32 pm
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Yeah, that's what I mean, playstyle. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
#786  September 23, 2018, 01:17:15 am
    • Mexico
Meh, most guests haven't aged very well when it comes to moveset. For how many times people hyped the whole "Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac-Man" dream match in Sm4sh days, they forgot about them as soon as the game released. Really, I feel like only Cloud and Bayonetta aged well in terms of moveset (Ryu and Snake can be debated on the subject).

And moving on to other topics, some new guy claimed to have talked with Vergeben and claimed that Steve from Minecraft will also join the game, that and that... >_> :shrugs:
Katalina from Granblue Fantasy may be in negotiations for the game (and considering the time right now, I'll assume they're talking about DLC).
Now, why am I bringing this up? Because Vergeben was directly asked if he really talked with this person and he answered yes.

Oh, and by the way, don't know if you've heard the news already, but some alleged screenshots featuring Ken popped up a few days ago:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#787  September 23, 2018, 01:33:26 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Seems photoshopped and fake as many claim.
#788  September 23, 2018, 01:55:25 am
    • USA
I'll lead to the bias side, but I don't see this Katalina having any shot of being real.  Among requirements to be in Smash, the character needs to be iconic, have a significant history with Nintendo and/or in the eyes of Sakurai need the public spotlight to bring back around to relevancy.  If this character is apparently fairly new, thus lacking the history, not particularly needing to be exposed because it's big in Japan but middling elsewhere, and having nothing iconic being molded out of the same basic anime cookie cutter format that you see everywhere, then she's not much of an all-star that needs to be elevated to playable character status.

That could just be the part of me that's so freaking done with similar-looking anime swordsmen in Smash though, at least less important ones in video game history.  It still personally feels odd in a mash-up game of this size and concept that Final Fantasy doesn't just have less reps than Fire Emblem, but the later is attempting to hold the biggest margin of characters in the roster while the former is stuck with just one.  Yes, yes, I know, character rights for who owns what and FE being much easier to just throw characters in, yadda yadda, but still, it irks me for some reason.

Spoiler: Relevant (click to see content)

Minecraft I have no connection to; tried it out when it was a beta, wasn't much fun but it sure as hell blew up with the next generation of kids once it went public and is something big enough I could warrant a spot for.  Just it's the nature of how the characters are all blocky from that game which I imagine doesn't translate well to a 2D fighting field where you're always facing them from a certain angle but their movements still need to be dynamic.  The guy would just be stuck with very wooden animations and a lot of body clipping with the arms waving around.
Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:05:07 am by Long John Killer
#789  September 23, 2018, 02:06:55 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

Oh, and by the way, don't know if you've heard the news already, but some alleged screenshots featuring Ken popped up a few days ago:

Ahem.

Fake leaks, grain of salt, yadda yadda, but this image started making the rounds today and if it’s fake it’s a damn good fake.

#790  September 23, 2018, 04:43:44 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I can't be the only person who would legit want Steve in Smash. And I have never played Minecraft.

The whole "iconic" part fell apart by Melee, I'm just saying.
#791  September 23, 2018, 05:00:03 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Giving the benefit of doubt, how would Steve even work in Smash?

I have no doubt Sakurai could make any character work.  But I can't even begin to imagine how Steve would play.
#792  September 23, 2018, 05:06:50 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
A Minecraft stage at best would be okay, a character would be a terrible idea.  Putting aside how the character model is ugly as sin, he only has an extremely stilted walking animation in his own game and nothing else.  The super blocky, compact character design makes it impossible for a Minecraft character to move in the way that a Smash Bros character is required to.

Give us a stage or like a creeper assist trophy to get Microsoft’s foot in the door, then we can have Banjo-Kazooie as DLC.
#793  September 23, 2018, 05:28:30 am
    • USA
Did the Minecraft Telltale game maybe adjust their models for better use as a model for Smash to go off of?  They had to make them more mailable or something for cutscenes throughout that game.

The whole "iconic" part fell apart by Melee, I'm just saying.
Explain?  The four newcomers I can possibly list under not being immediately recognizable would be the Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy and Mr. Game & Watch.  And only Ice Climbers and Roy of those would be most questionable, Roy being new at the time and Ice Climbers not being a huge title, but Roy was being built up in Japan at the time and it's not like the Ice Climbers were an unknown, just not as big as the likes of Excitebike or Duck Hunt.

As the series has gone on, sure, there's been more...questionable additions.  Bayonetta will never not seem out of place in Smash.  But it's still more-or-less the idea behind Smash to focus on the real big names all thrown into the game.
#794  September 23, 2018, 02:31:31 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
This will be a very short sentence, but;

Giving us Sora and MineCraft Steve, would to me feel like pissing on Geno and Banjo & Kazooie.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#795  September 23, 2018, 02:51:14 pm
    • Netherlands
None of those characters are mutually exclusive though. Is Cloud being in Smash also 'pissing on Geno'?
#796  September 23, 2018, 10:04:35 pm
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
None of those characters are mutually exclusive though. Is Cloud being in Smash also 'pissing on Geno'?

That's the big problem with Smash Speculation... things just get so tribal. People can get harassed simply for not taking the popular side. Hell, there are many people who take the popular side for the sake of being on the "winning side." Like some kind of sick race for dominance...

And then there's this "Only one character or the other" mentality. This pops up a lot during arguments about third parties. since they are admittedly quite rare. People argue over whether Banjo or Steve should get in because they think there would/should only be one "Microsoft Rep." Thing is, it doesn't need to be one or the other. Chances are, they are BOTH able to join the roster. Did Mega Man destroy the chances of Ryu? Did Snake ruin Simon Belmont's chances? No, they didn't. So I can't see why both Geno and Sora, or both Steve and Banjo can't join at the same time. It's a crazy video game crossover, so embrace it!

Oh, and about the whole "Sora is owned by Disney!" argument... I have heard plenty of people say "Disney said they wouldn't mind him in Smash, so he still has a chance!" but I do need a definitive source on this before I can fully believe it. So if someone would like to find the source of this information, I and possibly many others here would very much appreciate it!
#797  September 24, 2018, 12:24:32 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
We have three Konami characters and we're very likely about to have three Sega and Capcom characters.  If anything Steve should make you more confident in Banjo Kazooie.
#798  September 24, 2018, 12:50:34 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I don't even know who he is nor do I play or like Minecraft. Right now, all I want is the date for the next (possibly final) Smash Direct.
#799  September 24, 2018, 12:56:21 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
I don't even know who he is nor do I play or like Minecraft. Right now, all I want is the date for the next (possibly final) Smash Direct.
they say it's gonna be either in late october or early november
#800  September 24, 2018, 01:26:50 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA