YesNoOk

Template? (Read 633 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, April 06, 2021, 04:31:04 pm
Share this topic:
Template?
#1  April 06, 2021, 04:31:04 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
This might sound like a stupid question, but when people talk about making a "template" for their full games, how do they go about it? I'm trying to construct one myself, but I have a bunch of unique animations for effects in there that aren't going to carry over when I swap out SFF's and whatnot. The only other option for me is to do it by hand, but even then it would still involve importing all the sprites for the characters that I want to use, doing the alignment and animation by hand, etc. And that's a whole time-consuming process that I know can be avoided, but I don't seem to be able to.

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated. I know that everyone is going to scream "USE KUNG FU MAN" at me, but that still doesn't solve my main problem, so anything that isn't "USE KUNG FU MAN" would be a lot more helpful in that regard.
Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:35:41 pm by Steel Komodo
Re: Template?
#2  April 06, 2021, 04:51:19 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
When people refer to a template for a full game they mean a very stripped down base character that just contains the common mechanics, hitspark/guardsparks, sounds, etc. of a character for said style but does not or rarely contain character sprites in it. People also tend to use another base character to do so and strip it down to be a template but this tends to be a bit of a pain compared to just a template.
Re: Template?
#3  April 06, 2021, 05:21:54 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
So the best thing for me to do, it seems, would be to just develop a character, then strip them down to use as the template for future characters. Makes sense. I'll try that method and, if it works out, I'll stick with it.