YesNoOk

fighting games news that dont deserve their own thread (Read 770067 times)

Started by Niitris, May 08, 2014, 11:34:32 pm
Share this topic:
Re: fighting games news that dont deserve their own thread
#1501  February 22, 2022, 01:29:14 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
It'd be cool if they made a 3D Fighting Collection with their 3D fighting games like Rival Schools and Star Gladiator.

Those would probably be harder to emulate, so they're playing it safe with the CPS2/3 stuff.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#1502  February 22, 2022, 02:22:02 pm
#1503  February 22, 2022, 02:31:24 pm
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
It'd be cool if they made a 3D Fighting Collection with their 3D fighting games like Rival Schools and Star Gladiator.

Those would probably be harder to emulate, so they're playing it safe with the CPS2/3 stuff.

Sheesh, they should have taken lessons from Sega. Sonic the Fighters was included in Sonic Gem and that's impressive then today's standard.

Also, if we're talking "Sonic the Fighters", wasn't it put in "Lost Judgment" as an arcade game? I'm yet to try the big one, but ain't that proof that the small game is more than emulatable on PS4/PS5 if they allowed it to stay in the big game? So, yeah. Capcom shall really learn from Sega here.
EDIT: here is the footage of it in action.
Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:36:47 pm by Trololo
#1504  February 22, 2022, 02:49:35 pm
Why are you talking like somebody actually said that Capcom tried but it was harder to emulate ?The most obvious situation here is that Capcom doesn't give a shit and never even tried.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1505  February 22, 2022, 03:52:56 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Yes, they have a probably almost complete build of the game in the vaults, as shown by one of Capcom devs during the time people were comparing SFV's Luke, and Rook;

No, Capcom never seem to care enough about releasing the game in the first place - even less nowadays.

Bummer... Or some concept arts, videos and a interview for this game would be nice.

I now had a sudden thought.... If the community managed to push a petition of sorts, would Capcom be willing to attend to it and share a small portion of what was stored about this old project? If they happened to see some sudden attention and interest by the fans recently;

I mean... would people willingfully pay to see a demo-sized release of a old game, if things got real?
Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:17:35 pm by NDSilva
#1506  February 22, 2022, 04:55:50 pm
They did that, it was called a beta test and the general feedback from the people that were there is that it played badly and that's the reason Capcom shelved it (yes, there were also complaints about the 3D).
The Internet has only seen pictures and a few videos, and the cast alone made it look amazing and the original hyper combos were dope, but it looks like actually playing it was a bad experience overall. Capcom saw that it would have taken extra work to remake it into something worth playing, and they decided not to. Releasing the same game as it was would not likely get a different response beyond nostalgia : the characters are cool, but it plays bad.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:15:49 pm by Byakko
#1507  February 22, 2022, 06:09:37 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
f Capcom considered Capcom fighting jam a better game than all stars, yeah i can see why they would drop work on all stars.
#1508  February 22, 2022, 06:25:49 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Well Fighting Jam also suffered from constraints in time and budget. It was probably going to be better than what it ended up being.

Still, if it’s still considered an improvement over CFAS… then yeah, it makes you wonder just how bad CFAS must’ve been.
#1509  February 22, 2022, 07:19:12 pm
Yeah ! That too, there's a point where they had both All Star and Fighting Jam and they decided to release Fighting Jam. That's rough.
CFJ had timing and budget issues, but that was leftovers from CFAS, they looked at the budget and time they had left and decided to go for CFJ instead with it.
And seriously, a lot of what we thought was cool in CFAS (i.e. basically just the characters and nothing else) ended up coming to Tatsunoko (Batsu and Alex), CFJ (Ingrid), MvC3 (Haggar and Hiryu), SFA3 Double Upper (Ingrid), SF4 and 5 (Nash, Poison and Akira). There's just DD that I liked with his Kyo-like punches, but what else is salvageable from CFAS that we haven't already seen somewhere else today ? The unique hyper combos ? The story with a timer seems very Final Fight-ish but I think there was low appreciation for that too during the beta test.
Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:30:05 pm by Byakko
#1510  February 22, 2022, 11:46:35 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA

It might be - Star Gladiator and Rival Schools were on the ZN-1 hardware, Plasma Sword was on ZN-2 hardware and both Power Stone games and Project Justice were on Naomi hardware.

That's three different platforms that haven't been emulated yet on current gen hardware.
#1511  February 23, 2022, 12:16:59 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh

Talk about bummer.

There's a chance that the gameplay itself wasn't the only factor in which the playtesting didn't go well; as it was made in a time where arcade games in general were having only a fraction of their former popularity; and there probably were also the people who just weren't fond of Capcom making a abrut change to it's mainline fighting game formula, possibly disregarding the overall game content only due to it's average 3D models.

The old footage avaiable seems to indicate that this game is, at the very least, not as much broken as you guys are implying. It looks like one typical old-school 3D fighter, with 2D motions, sidesteps and camera shenanigans. Would the controls happen to be so bad that they don't even compare to early 3D fighters like Street Fighter EX or Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition? Right now, just a few amount of people can precisely answer that.

Hey, even if it looks tame compared to all the other games that came after, isn't it still a kinda unique concept that isn't really well touched upon by Capcom even to this day? And a piece of that rare event actually did get concretized, just existing somewhere in a shelf of some building...

Common saying is that the fiasco of Capcom Fighting All-Stars/Jam is the reason why Capcom never attempted to do a full-on fighting crossover of their own ever again. Maybe it would be cool, if a portion of fans somehow managed to communicate with the company, that there could be some actual profit in a project like this nowadays.
#1512  February 23, 2022, 01:39:17 am
    • Mexico
I bet my human rights that Capcom would rather fight toe and nail for another Marvel or SNK crossover than ever doing a crossover with just their own stuff, regardless of whatever license fees and whatever other stuff people argue about.

There, I said it.
#1513  February 23, 2022, 02:25:26 am
    • USA
the sad thing is, people say they want a new collection or new game besides street fighter, yet the only thing that does sell is street fighter, resident evil, etc
#1514  February 23, 2022, 02:30:29 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
It's depressing as hell.

Which is why this new collection is, like, our one chance to tell Capcom we want these games.

So please, for the love of god, buy the new collection.
#1515  February 23, 2022, 04:05:43 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

It might be - Star Gladiator and Rival Schools were on the ZN-1 hardware, Plasma Sword was on ZN-2 hardware and both Power Stone games and Project Justice were on Naomi hardware.

That's three different platforms that haven't been emulated yet on current gen hardware.

They could always go with the ports of those games, which were on the PlayStation and Dreamcast.
#1516  February 23, 2022, 05:14:02 am
    • USA
the sad thing is, people say they want a new collection or new game besides street fighter, yet the only thing that does sell is street fighter, resident evil, etc

Hey, at least Mega Man 11 sold well, or does that not count?

And how much did the Beat Em Up Bundle do?
#1517  February 23, 2022, 07:40:45 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
I bet my human rights that Capcom would rather fight toe and nail for another Marvel or SNK crossover than ever doing a crossover with just their own stuff, regardless of whatever license fees and whatever other stuff people argue about.

There, I said it.

Perhaps. Capcom has a big legacy of characters though, and a good tracking record stablished by their work alongside Marvel and SNK. Capcom is one of the few companies that is both iconic enough, and capable to do a crossover with almost the same impact as Nintendo, for example.

At the same time, because most of their resources are put towards SF, RE and Monster Hunter, we kind of don't have the same amount of opportunities to be interested in a new entry of one of their other IPs...

It's a paradox.

It's depressing as hell.

Which is why this new collection is, like, our one chance to tell Capcom we want these games.

So please, for the love of god, buy the new collection.

Yeah, I guess that would be it. Capcom does have this wacky notion that, if a simple release of something doesn't sell well, then a big scale version of the same thing can never be profitable either. This logic almost makes sense but, it takes so many things out of consideration...
Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:43:55 am by NDSilva
#1518  February 24, 2022, 02:25:27 am
    • Brazil
I don't see any evidence of that, its not like they're releasing lots of those games, is it? And even then, how do we know they're not simply setting up unreasonable expectations for sales? Because that is one thing we know they did before, games selling a hell lot, but still being deemed a failure because they were being greedy.
#1519  February 24, 2022, 09:04:41 am
    • Mexico

Hey, at least Mega Man 11 sold well, or does that not count?

And how much did the Beat Em Up Bundle do?
https://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=222799
Admittedly, VGChartz isn't a reliable source, but it's the only one that reported any sales numbers for it, and they're rather miserable, probably just as bad if not worse than the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. However, if the Final Fight and Captain Commando leaks are anything to go by, then sales may have been good enough to warrant those titles in the planning department.
#1520  February 26, 2022, 10:52:13 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-