YesNoOk

Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?  (Read 118947 times)

Started by The Shakunetsu, April 15, 2022, 06:58:40 pm
Share this topic:
Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?
#1  April 15, 2022, 06:58:40 pm
  • Wandering....
Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?

There are many arguments lately about FG's Arcade mode.

I myself wanted arcade mode to stay I prefer CVS2. 
And I prefer Arcade mode than cinematic mode.

I have seen channels and other that says it's useless

If they are still needed because everyone wants online multiplayer.
Some say they are waste of resources for the devs.

What are the problems with an Arcade mode in Modern FG in your opinion?

And What are the things you like with Arcade mode and why it should stay? like the benefits.

In SFV it's about knowing characters backstories or what they do during the cinematic events. It's the same story sometimes to their previous story from different previous games.

Re: Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?
#2  April 15, 2022, 07:12:09 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I think Arcade mode is only there for those who want to enjoy the game without having to verse real life people.
The pros of having this is its ability to create a light weighed take on the FG genre without everyone turning into tryhards or competitive douchebags. You can also add some lore and story while you're at it.

However, the problem lies where Arcade mode simply doesn't cut anymore in the standards of 2022. Way back in the 90's arcade days, people didn't spend too much time on a single machine and they had to use coins that simply didn't allow long term gameplay. Now with Steam and consoles, arcade mode kind of became a practice mode for those who trained enough in training mode, but weren't ready to go online just yet.

SFV had an okay story mode, but it was still pretty lackluster and I'm going to throw Tekken 7 FR into the mix while I'm at it. Those games' story modes should've been considered "Arcade" modes since they offer nothing much really.

The only franchise I give major props and kudos to (though some retcon decisions are controversial) is NetherRealm Studios and their Mortal Kombat/Injustice story modes which really flesh out the setting of the game's premise.

If all the FG companies did what NRS does for their games' Story modes, I'd be fine with throwing the now obsolete Arcade mode out the window and replacing it with Ghost fight mode.
Re: Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?
#3  April 16, 2022, 07:43:44 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
No, please no. Those "cinematic" story modes not only suck balls, they shouldn't become the new standard. Not only they only focus on a handful of characters to the detriment of everyone else (just look at the MK story modes and even SFV, which turn every antagonist into a jobber), the also have zero replay value, once you beat it you have no reason to play it again. Heck, you can just watch a playthrough of it on youtube and you'll get the same experience.

Sorry but these cinematic modes are no substitutes for an arcade ladder, where you can actually see each character's individual stories and which has actual replay value. Plus if one wants to play casually the Arcade mode is still they way to go.
Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 07:50:12 pm by Magma MK-II
#4  April 17, 2022, 12:14:47 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
No, please no. Those "cinematic" story modes not only suck balls, they shouldn't become the new standard. Not only they only focus on a handful of characters to the detriment of everyone else (just look at the MK story modes and even SFV, which turn every antagonist into a jobber), the also have zero replay value, once you beat it you have no reason to play it again. Heck, you can just watch a playthrough of it on youtube and you'll get the same experience.

Sorry but these cinematic modes are no substitutes for an arcade ladder, where you can actually see each character's individual stories and which has actual replay value. Plus if one wants to play casually the Arcade mode is still they way to go.

Not every single character in a game can receive as much attention as the main characters. Stories need consistency and if you are to make every single character in a game playable in story mode, it goes against the very nature of having a story in the first place. That's like watching Star Wars The Last Jedi where the story was so all over the place because of the lack of consistency.

MK11 Aftermath did a phenomenal job at bringing in DLC characters into the main story while retaining the previous ones in the base game. I don't get why you claim story mode in MK makes antagonists into jobbers when three antagonists reigned supreme in the later half of the MK11 Aftermath. I'd much rather see a properly fleshed out storyline rather than having to see the same old post-credit scenes that barely brings any development to the story.

Having story mode is fine as long as it's executed properly.
#5  April 17, 2022, 02:04:02 am
    • Brazil
Before I make my own point, let me just address this one: you don't get to see a damn thing of characters' stories in an Arcade Ladder. What you see are, at best, what-if scenarios that 90% of the time end up not being canon, and thats when you get anything more than an ending.

Now, to my point. Arcade mode is a simple and basic addition that allows you to play a single character for multiple matches if you don't care or are unable to go online. No other mode so far in fighting games has shown to be able to offer this, because even Survival modes end up being endless or even boring, so instead of completing something, you just end up mindlessly playing until you either drop it because you're sick of it or because you're defeated, which is definitely not ideal. I strongly support big story modes in fighting games to establish a canon story and something interesting to follow about the games (even though most franchises seem unable use the feature to tell an actually good story), however, since they limit who you play it at which time, they don't come even close to be a replacement to Arcade.

Also, I sincerely doubt something as basic as Arcade mode takes that many resources to make, that excuse is bullshit, and, lastly, anyone who says it shouldn't exist because of online can fuck right off, these are the kind of people who think they're big shit because they won a few matches online and don't like the idea of anyone having fun in a different way than they do, thats not how the world works, games like Soul Calibur 6 are proof that offline content is more than capable of making a game successful, because there IS a market for that and there is literally no reason for said market to be neglected.
#6  April 17, 2022, 11:35:36 am
    • Germany
I realy enjoy the Arcade Mode in most fighting games, I like to see the Individual Storys of the characters and their endings even if it is just a "What if" or if only parts of the ending become canon in the end.

To be honest many characters are not only liked because of gameplay and moveset but also because of their story, because the story is what gives them "live" and turns then into characters in the first place.

Also as a personal note, unlike in the 90's I don't have any friends anymore who enjoy fighting games, when I was still a child I would just play games like Street Fighter II with friends on the SNES, and to be honest I don't like it to play online against random people, feels not right.
Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:40:07 am by Lichtbringer
#7  April 17, 2022, 11:54:40 am
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
It is worth 100% for traditional game feature enjoyers. I love it personally.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#8  April 17, 2022, 02:26:25 pm
  • The Vo-Cool-oid
  • Do you want to listen to the waves?
    • USA
Personally I have mixed feelings, but let me keep things real short. As modern FG(s) go with their arcade modes, they sometimes end up being too similar to others like survival, time attack, and score attack (a worse case, is that score and time attack modes separately felt like a waste, just put 'em TOGETHER! it ain't hard).

However if that game had a good chunk of unlockables that involve arcade, (which unfortunately some games nowadays tend to care less about unlocks at the point you can literally try out all characters in less than 15 mins and be done with it, although it depends on the roster) then I'll go with it.
He who is brave is free! - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
#9  April 17, 2022, 09:23:27 pm
  • Wandering....
Personally I have mixed feelings, but let me keep things real short. As modern FG(s) go with their arcade modes, they sometimes end up being too similar to others like survival, time attack, and score attack (a worse case, is that score and time attack modes separately felt like a waste, just put 'em TOGETHER! it ain't hard).

However if that game had a good chunk of unlockables that involve arcade, (which unfortunately some games nowadays tend to care less about unlocks at the point you can literally try out all characters in less than 15 mins and be done with it, although it depends on the roster) then I'll go with it.

So which should merge in your opinion

Arcade Mode and Story Mode?

Time Attack and Survival Mode with Arcade Mode?

#10  April 18, 2022, 12:14:24 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I personally think that Arcade mode should be a staple for ALL fighting games on the home console. How you do it depends on what you are aiming for.

Do you want to combine Arcade and Story? There are games that do just that and others that separate Arcade from Story.

Now, why an arcade mode? Well, people want to have fun with the game without the pressure of having to face someone online in a game that you might not be good at.
#11  April 18, 2022, 01:22:23 am
  • Wandering....
Do you want to combine Arcade and Story? There are games that do just that and others that separate Arcade from Story.

Not really combine, but there was popular criticism that arcade mode is pointless because it's just another short version of story mode.

#12  April 18, 2022, 02:23:31 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
Not really combine, but there was popular criticism that arcade mode is pointless because it's just another short version of story mode.

Well, of course there's criticism. 99% of the arcade mode endings are non-canon.
As long as there's a final boss at the end of a game, arcade modes should be avoided as much as possible if a story mode is present.
#13  April 18, 2022, 03:07:33 am
  • Wandering....
I was looking in a way to make it distinct and standout in usability aspect other than people criticizing it as a waste of dev resources.

One idea I have was taking some element with the world tour mode.

Now I looking into the perspective and feedback of others in how they view the relevance of it existing.
#14  April 20, 2022, 01:02:29 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
not only do I think Arcade Mode should stay as a staple in Fighting Games, I also think that Fighting Games in general should be able to deliver both a good multiplayer and a good singleplayer experience.

Which is why I think that fighting games not only need to keep Arcade Mode as a staple, but also need to have a larger amount of different singleplayer modes in general to keep someone with no friends and not good enough online busy for long enough.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#15  April 20, 2022, 02:28:41 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Now, to my point. Arcade mode is a simple and basic addition that allows you to play a single character for multiple matches if you don't care or are unable to go online. No other mode so far in fighting games has shown to be able to offer this, because even Survival modes end up being endless or even boring, so instead of completing something, you just end up mindlessly playing until you either drop it because you're sick of it or because you're defeated, which is definitely not ideal. I strongly support big story modes in fighting games to establish a canon story and something interesting to follow about the games (even though most franchises seem unable use the feature to tell an actually good story), however, since they limit who you play it at which time, they don't come even close to be a replacement to Arcade.

Also, I sincerely doubt something as basic as Arcade mode takes that many resources to make, that excuse is bullshit, and, lastly, anyone who says it shouldn't exist because of online can fuck right off, these are the kind of people who think they're big shit because they won a few matches online and don't like the idea of anyone having fun in a different way than they do, thats not how the world works, games like Soul Calibur 6 are proof that offline content is more than capable of making a game successful, because there IS a market for that and there is literally no reason for said market to be neglected.

This.

I realy enjoy the Arcade Mode in most fighting games, I like to see the Individual Storys of the characters and their endings even if it is just a "What if" or if only parts of the ending become canon in the end.

To be honest many characters are not only liked because of gameplay and moveset but also because of their story, because the story is what gives them "live" and turns then into characters in the first place.

Also as a personal note, unlike in the 90's I don't have any friends anymore who enjoy fighting games, when I was still a child I would just play games like Street Fighter II with friends on the SNES, and to be honest I don't like it to play online against random people, feels not right.

Also this.

I personally think that Arcade mode should be a staple for ALL fighting games on the home console. How you do it depends on what you are aiming for.

Now, why an arcade mode? Well, people want to have fun with the game without the pressure of having to face someone online in a game that you might not be good at.

And also this.

Well, of course there's criticism. 99% of the arcade mode endings are non-canon.
As long as there's a final boss at the end of a game, arcade modes should be avoided as much as possible if a story mode is present.

Hell no dude. You need those offline modes, and like I said before these story modes are no substitutes to the traditional arcade mode. Most people who actually buy these (or any other) games are casuals, and if Street Fighter V's disastrous launch proved anything is that focusing entirely on the competitive crowd at the detriment of causal players is the wrong way to go.

Like it or not, sports games are still among the top selling games every year, which shows that the money is with the casuals, not with the hardcore players.
#16  April 20, 2022, 04:58:30 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Exactly. The casual market is very important and what Street Fighter V did at launch proved it: You need to be able to cater to the casual player.

That's why Arcade Mode is important part of any fighting game - you need the casual player base to pick up the game and have fun with it. The casual base isn't going to enjoy the game if all it has are online and things that cater to the hardcore base.

If you can't get the casual crowd, then your game is doomed to failure.
#17  April 20, 2022, 11:40:55 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

If it's purely 2d I prefer having an option for Arcade mode and get into the heart of the action and not play a visual novel.

I only go with Story mode if I am bored or want to learn more about the characters.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#18  April 26, 2022, 05:55:37 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
It's grown obsolete in the wake of these fancy and expansive single-player campaigns fighting games have nowadays.
#19  April 26, 2022, 05:59:12 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Art of Fighting 1 still has the best Story Mode.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#20  April 28, 2022, 04:36:56 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I like the actual Story Mode for fighting games, well done can be all a experience (my favorite Story Modes are Dead or Alive 5 and Mortal Kombat 11). But for me, the best is the classic Arcade mode when you beat the game with a character or team to get the ending, since you can know better the lore of the game and the replay is more satisfactory unlocking all the stories.

Of modern games, I think the best one to achieve that is The King of Fighters XIV, since you have the classic ending for every team, but the chosen ones got a different and special intro against Verse in their stories (China, Japan and Special Invitation got them) which denote which ones were the real finalists or the ones who defeated verse for good. I know XV also could get this, but I didn't play it yet to say it's true, but for me this is a good way to make a classic Story Mode for characters instead the whole actual Story Mode, which also serves as a kind of tutorial for character IMO

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X