YesNoOk

Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go): Shingo Beta out! (Read 2441932 times)

Started by Jmorphman, November 01, 2010, 09:13:43 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Got a light?

This is the water
81 (25.2%)
And this is the well
77 (24%)
Drink full, and descend
33 (10.3%)
The horse is the white of the eye
37 (11.5%)
And the dark within
52 (16.2%)
This is the water
41 (12.8%)
And this is the well
0 (0%)
Drink full, and descend
0 (0%)
The horse is the white of the eye
0 (0%)
And the dark within
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go)
#6361  December 13, 2021, 03:25:29 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I love these poses and all related with this WIP (yeah, I said it in Discord but not here), so I'm very happy this advance more and more everyday. Best of lucks with it, JM ;) and when it came the palette making, call me and I'll make some for him :D

About the intros, I say just Kyo (and for extension, Benimaru and Goro), Iori and Sakura and that's all. For the latter, they could make some sign of respect between each other (Sakura should make a reverence instead just scratching her head as in other intros) since both are mimicking their idols, so see who are they "masters" would get respect to each other, which make sense

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#6362  December 13, 2021, 07:05:58 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Wow! It definitely looks good!

Yes the surprised pose don't really fit, even if it's almost OK.

You don't have the equivalent missing sprites in CVS style ?

Anyway... Very promising.
#6363  December 13, 2021, 07:38:52 pm
  • MUGEN MEMES
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
#6364  December 15, 2021, 05:26:49 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Do you still need these sprites?

#6365  December 16, 2021, 05:59:09 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#6366  December 16, 2021, 07:44:07 pm
im excited for your shingo!
#6367  December 17, 2021, 09:34:28 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
No probs! That's cool that you like it JM. Thank you for your hard work on all those excellent characters.
#6368  December 19, 2021, 09:37:07 am
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
YAY! Shingo!
This is fate.
#6369  December 19, 2021, 09:47:15 am
  • A.K.A. NED
#6370  December 19, 2021, 04:36:00 pm
cant wait to see what pals you guys come up for him!
#6371  December 25, 2021, 02:05:50 am
  • MUGEN MEMES
Emerie's MUGEN Content

Everyone have Greatness :)

Don't give up... just... take a break :(
Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 02:17:02 am by Emerie The Goat
#6372  December 29, 2021, 01:59:16 am
    • USA
still plugging away

#6373  December 29, 2021, 08:28:35 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Lovely sprites and CS!! That guy is very talented!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#6374  December 29, 2021, 12:10:02 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Awesome!
These animations really give Shingo his own style.
THis CS will make great effect in your character
Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 11:01:36 pm by Momotaro
#6375  December 31, 2021, 12:17:50 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Hey Shingo looks awesome!  Progress looks incredible!

(There I said something nice about Shingo please don't take my teeth)
#6376  December 31, 2021, 05:19:56 am
    • Chile
This may have been answered in the past, but I don't want to read the entire thread (or even click previous page), so what kind of gameplay are you going to apply on him (I mean, specific game, or a mix of them) ? A quote of a previous post is fine too.
#6377  January 01, 2022, 03:48:16 am
    • USA
Hey Shingo looks awesome!  Progress looks incredible!

(There I said something nice about Shingo please don't take my teeth)
Santa needs those teeth to make dark and twisted toys, for Santa's own amusement.

This may have been answered in the past, but I don't want to read the entire thread (or even click previous page), so what kind of gameplay are you going to apply on him (I mean, specific game, or a mix of them) ? A quote of a previous post is fine too.
Code:
<NORMAL>

.Geshiki: Gofu Kakkodake F + b
.Hatsugane           F/B + 2p (near opponent)
.Issetsu Seoi Nage Fukanzen F/B + 2k (near opponent)

<SPECIAL>

.114 Shiki: Aragami Mikansei D, DF, F, x / y
.115 Shiki: Dokugami Mikansei D, DF, F, z
.Shingo Kinsei Ore Mu-shiki (EX only) D, DF, F, 2p
.100 Shiki: Oniyaki Mikansei (EX) F, D, DF, p
.Shingo Kick (EX) B, DB, D, DF, F, k
.101 Shiki: Oboro Guruma Mikansei (EX) B, D, DB, k
.Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Nie Togi (EX) F, D, DF, k (near opponent)
.212 Shiki: Kototsuki Yo Mikansei (EX) F, DF, D, DB, B, k
.Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Getchu (EX) D, DB, B, p

<SUPER>

.Geshiki: Kake Horin (MAX) D, DF, F, D, DF, F, p
.Burning Shingo (MAX) D, DB, B, DB, D, DF, F, p

<Lv3 SUPER>

.Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Kamukura        F, DF, D, DB, B, F, DF, D, DB, B, 2p
The moveset is pretty self-explanatory, I would say—it's basically his 2002UM movelist, really. The only real thing that might seem odd is the QCF+2p EX move stuff; I'm gonna try to essentially downgrade the Eolith era version of his QCB,HCF+p super into an EX move, with the classic style Burning Shingo being the actual super associated with that command. The basic concept for the downgraded EX move version is that it'll be Shingo doing the full version of Kyo's Dokugami chain, with no repeated attacks like there are in the super version.

#6378  January 27, 2022, 04:43:10 am
    • USA
So... did y'all hear PotS is back?

I don't really have anything major to report on the Shingo front, but I've gotten a few messages and questions about what I planned to change/add given PotS coming back and updating his characters and refining certain system aspects—and I figured it would be good to definitively lay everything out on the table on the forum, where it'll be more "permanent" (as opposed to the Discord, where I've already said most of what I'm gonna say below).

Anyways, the long and short of it is that I'm not planning on making any changes to any of my characters; I am fully satisfied with my current style, which—while obviously heavily based on the original versions of PotS's last three characters—has developed and diverged in a number of ways (however minor) from those three characters that have defined what everyone likes to call "PotS style".

When I first got into MUGEN, I was pretty immediately taken with PotS characters: it was like someone had reached directly into my brain and picked all the things I wanted to see in an ideal fighting game—even the Street Fighter Alpha 3 style throw inputs, my favorite way of doing throw inputs, which as far as I know no other game has done! And things just happened to work out such that I wasn't interested in playing as those last three characters, so I never even tried them and thus really only knew the earlier versions of PotS's ever-evolving gameplay system; eventually I started branching out with Geese and Cammy (I still don't like Honda, sorry not sorry) and felt even more attached to the new system in those characters. Any of the lingering issues I still had with the older characters like Ryu was totally sorted out: there was now standardized supers that had level 1 and 2 versions (but not a level 3, which was reserved for a specific level 3 only super), the (IMO) crummy looking sparks taken from CvS2 were switched out with some very nice and elegant original effects, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. I had found a gameplay style that felt like it was designed specifically for me, and I loved it...

and then I went on the forums and found out PotS had retired; there would be no more characters from him, and that was a problem for me! I needed a Chun-Li, a Joe, a Ken (and so on) for my roster, and these CvS2 versions I found were... OK, I guess, but they simply couldn't come close to the ones I was imagining in my head. These CvS2 ones didn't even have EX moves! I eventually realized that I would have to make my dream characters myself, and the rest is history.

Even after 12 years (jesus christ has it really been 12 years), my taste in the gameplay system hasn't changed that much. I've mentioned this here before, but the only things I am really planning on changing (once I move to IKEMEN, that is) to the system would be to add some kind of configuration system that would allow the user to turn on and off various gameplay subsystems (like rolls, zero counters, etc.), with the default setting having parry, power charge, custom combo, evade, level 1 -> level 2 super cancels, and air blocking all be turned off. 12 years ago I thought it was very important that characters had all the cool shit from CvS2 without having to pick a groove, but now, I don't even use any of those listed gameplay elements when I'm playing MUGEN, so I think it'd be good to ditch them (but leave the option for people to turn them back on if they really want them). This culling of gameplay systems also feels like it would bring the number of system mechanics in line with most other SF/KOF games, so it feels better balanced. Maybe. I dunno.

The other system change which I've also mentioned before was to add was guard crushes and a dizzy system, but again, like with the system config stuff, I was waiting for my move to IKEMEN to delve into any of that. Of course, PotS has added a dizzy system with his new updates, but I currently don't really want to bother with that stuff in MUGEN. Because MUGEN stinks!

So yeah, sorry about that long ass tangent, but TL;DR: I'm not planning on changing my system at all. I do however have to "rebrand" and find a better name for what to call this gameplay system I'm using. I've only recently started using "PotS style" in my topics and on my site, and only because that term has become so entrenched within the community—even though it barely made sense even before PotS came back (because Ryu and Geese have such dramatically different gameplay systems)—now, using that term seems needlessly confusing and inaccurate.

So naturally KarmaChameleon and I have hired a PR firm and an image consultant, we're running focus groups, we're doing everything we can to synergize an exciting new advertising campaign that will define the future name for the gameplay system Karma and I have derived from PotS's last three characters.

and here, proof I'm not just sitting on my ass:

#6379  January 27, 2022, 08:22:29 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I love those long "mugen trajectories" speeches. It's very inspiring. I guess it's a common thing that we all think at some point "I need this specific character in that specific style... fine, I'll do it myself!". :lol:
I like that you choose to keep the current style, and even [maybe] try to develop it into your own at some point. Also nice to see that you're progressing on Shingo!
Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 12:26:12 pm by DєαthScythє
#6380  January 27, 2022, 12:23:51 pm
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
I was really happy that POTS was back in the Mugen scene, as it's nice when creators like him bring back some kind of content

But, the doubt came precisely from other creators wanting to change what already existed, and one of them was precisely Jmorphman. I really like his chars the way they are, they are the ideal way I like to play. I got used to this pattern. And thinking about that, I was worried about changes happening, but no, on the contrary, he and KarmaCharmeleon decided to solidify their styles more as they currently are, and that makes me very happy. It would be a little problematic for me to get used to it if something changes in the chars that we currently have. I say all of this only as a personal point of view.

Currently, I see three creators as the "Triforce" of this style: Jmorphman, KarmaCharmeleon and Deathschyte (I hope I spelled it correctly this time). RagingRowen can be included in that, although he works more with edits in that style, and Infinite, well, it has its own characteristics but I also didn't want him to change that. It's similar in some ways, and the system of changing a few things with config.txt is very nice. There are other creators too, like Divinewolf, who despite having Max Mode as a preference, I wouldn't want him to change things the way they are.

If something is going to change, the way Infinite uses of having a config.txt to turn on and off whatever the person wants would be the most practical thing to do. It's a suggestion, although putting a stun system, for example, I think is unnecessary if you want to focus on Ikemen in the future.

Now about a name for this "new" style, I agree, and I think some things need to be separated since POTS itself has differences in relation to how this style is now. You and KarmaCharmeleon can think of something. "JK" style might be a good choice (or not). lol