YesNoOk

My Top 10 MUGEN Characters of 2019 (Read 4930 times)

Started by AMultiverseAuthor, January 23, 2020, 10:43:22 pm
Share this topic:
My Top 10 MUGEN Characters of 2019
#1  January 23, 2020, 10:43:22 pm
    • USA
A little something I wanna get out of my chest.

1. Jin Kazama (Infinite): Because it's one of my favorite game characters of all time given the Infinite treatment! Yes, I'm aware that we had other good Jins before Infinite made his, but neither of them suits my play style. SeanAltly's Jin is a 4-button character and I don't like 4 buttons. Byakko's Jin is authentic to Tekken's actual gameplay but I prefer Magic Series chains over links and juggles.

2. Setsuna (Infinite): My favorite Last Blade character is given the Infinite treatment. This is an instant win!

3. Orchid (Nexus Games): My favorite Killer Instinct character made in POTS style, and it turned out okay. I once said the quality in Nexus Games's characters was inconsistent but as of this thread, he's been improving. I only have one issue with this Orchid. She has some chain combos but her LK/MK/HK chains are a pain in the ass to execute because of small timing windows.

4. Edward Elric (Nexus Games): One of the characters Nexus Games made in his current state of improving. It actually turned out better than I expected! Also, I'm a Fullmetal Alchemist fan so this is another instant win.

5. Yu Narukami (OHSMBY): Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the ONLY good Persona 4 character we have in MUGEN. Son of Aura's P4A characters are half-baked.

6. Ultimate Janne (ELECTR0): Janne was my main in the World Heroes series. This custom made Janne plays like a Street Fighter II character with an MVC control scheme. It plays solid and it will hold me over until R@CE finishes his Janne.

7. MVC Falco (MEGA X, edited by ???): This is EASILY the best Smash character we have in MUGEN. Although... I'm not a fan of KOF's gameplay. Unexpectedly, there was an anonymous soul who took this Falco and made an MVC character out of it.  I found the edit on that blacklisted site.

8. Shovel Knight (k6666orochi): Yet another instant win, because I'm a fan of Shovel Knight and OHSMBY's gameplay. I'm looking forward to more Blade Strangers characters in this style.

9. Jedah Dohma (MGMURROW): This Jedah is pretty good. Until we get a proper POTS or Infinite-styled conversion it will hold me over.

10. Mai Kawasumi (Nep Heart): Shame on me for using her in ONE video. I need to rectify that because this Mai is fun to play with.
Re: My Top 10 MUGEN Characters of 2019
#2  January 23, 2020, 10:45:32 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Dang, Infinite wins again.
May one spread more knowledge on this mysterious Falco?
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#3  January 23, 2020, 10:50:11 pm
    • USA
#4  January 24, 2020, 01:02:38 am
For mine top 10 mugen characters of 2019's characters:
shin gouki by GK
gouki by DeathScythe
geese by Codarus
yamazaki by Knuckles8864
Dormammu by infinite
magneto by infinite
setsuna by infinite
iori by CharmaKameleon
RF2 Mr. karate by Kamekaze
Iori by Falcon Rapper

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#5  January 24, 2020, 01:57:35 am
    • Brazil
basically CvS/POTS chars then? wow
#6  January 24, 2020, 03:02:42 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#7  January 24, 2020, 11:15:32 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada

I'll join in on the fun! Mine are in no particular order.

Lord Ravenous by TheFclass97: Lord Ravenous was one of the coolest original characters from way back when. I always found On.Off's sprites excellent, but Ex-Inferis' original version was pretty rough and janky to play as. Come October of last year though, Fclass went and adapted Ravenous to his REV2 style and made Ravenous way more fun to use. He has much tighter gameplay and crazy combo potential now. I'm definitely looking forward to what's coming next from Fclass.

Android 18 by Team Z2: I've been keeping a close eye ever since I found out one of my favourite DBZ characters was getting the Z2 treatment, and she was well worth the wait. I'm still learning her combos for the most part but she's still great fun. NicotineFist did a great job staying true to the Z2 style with the sprites and Danielle McRae did a wonderful job on the voice acting. On top of all this, she's still a beta, so she's only gonna get better from here!

Yu Narukami by OHSMBY: I remember back when OHSMBY was first starting out and wasn't too confident in tackling a Persona character. About a year later though he knocks it out of the park with this version of Yu Narukami! It amazes me how quickly this guy is able to complete these characters and still have them coming out so good.

Gunvolt by k6666orochi: Gunvolt was a character I could never get the hang of in Blade Strangers, but I've had no problem using him to his fullest with OHSMBY's BBTAG-esque style. A few people have been jumping on the OHSMBY-style for their characters lately and k6666 is doing a great job with it.

Haruhi by Nep Heart: I've noticed a trend lately where people are re-coding old and/or flawed characters with good sprites and giving them new life in Mugen (see Fclass' version of Lord Ravenous). Nep's take on Choiyer's Haruhi is a fine example of that. The original character was well-sprited but was overpowered and included some... questionable content. Nep's version strips that stuff away and adapts it to his signature style, which much like REV2 is a blast to play and offers crazy combo potential.

Afterimage by Sean Altly: It's been great having Sean back in action and bringing us more SHADES goodness. The new gameplay system for SHADES 3 feels much more fast and combo-friendly. Afterimage himself is a great, creative character too. His clones are very versatile and offer a lot of options for combos. You can even throw the clone that appears during "Stunt-Double" at your opponent, giving him a projectile move. On top of that the character just has a lot of personality, whether it be his cocky attitude on the field or his fun little interactions with his clones.

Goku by Vyn: We all know Team Z2's DBZ stuff is great, but more people should try out Vyn's take on Goku. The FighterZ inspired gameplay style is some good fast-paced fun and Goku transforming into different forms for each special/super is a cool idea I don't recall anyone ever doing in Mugen. Vyn did a fantastic job on the special effects too, everything is so clean looking.

Zero by Mr. Giang, RamzaNeko, and Mr. Karate JKA: Finally, a Zero using RamzaNeko's excellent sprites that's complete! And yeah, he's a blast to use, feeling more like how he played in UMvC3. On a sidenote, I wish Giang would take the hit sparks and hyper backgrounds he used for Zero here (and his Vergil too I believe) and add them to his other MvC-esque characters. I love his work but it's so aesthetically inconsistent!

Vector by Gladiacloud: While this character does have its flaws, it's great to see another decent Sonic character made for Mugen. Gladia did a fantastic job on the sprites as usual. I hope that maybe one day someone will join up with Gladia and spruce up the coding for his Sonic characters to make them really shine.

Charizard by Gladiacloud and RicePigeon: Speaking of sprucing up Gladia's work, RicePigeon delivered something awesome using his Charizard sprites. I still like Gladia and SolarFlared's original version, but Rice's is so satisfying to use. Getting the hang of the available mechanics allows for Charizard's combo potential to truly shine (I'd love to see what a really good player is capable of with this character!). The move text appearing during supers is such a fun detail too! I've never been that into Touhou, so it's awesome to see RicePigeon breaking away and doing something different. I would love to see him rework another one of Gladia's Pokemon, or perhaps make that Joseph Joestar he joked about on Twitter a reality. ;)
Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:37:43 am by ShiroTori
#8  January 24, 2020, 11:29:04 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I don't have a top 10, but here's my picks:
Kage by Vyn
Yamazaki by Knuckles8864
Iori, Genjuro and Blanka by KarmaCharmeleon
Mr. Giang's edits (Not sure what to pick but I sorta liked Zero and Thanos)
Jin by Infinite

I'd pick Mr. Ansatsuken's Broly, but that wouldn't be a safe choice for obvious reasons.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#9  January 24, 2020, 11:37:05 am
1. Divine Wolf's Rock Howard.
2. Jman's King
3. Jman's Benimaru
4. DW's Mai
6. DW's Blair Dame
7. Jman's Kyo.
8. Karma's Iori
9. Knuckles's Yamazaki
10. Jman's Joe.

All of these guys were updated this year they should count I think.
Most of these change order on a dailiy basis especally king and rock.
Not including Jman's Chun, DW's Akuma or Jman's Demitri hurt :D
For me I can mix and match all of the DW/Jman chars into a top 10 all day I love pretty much all of them.
Special shout out to Soy Sauce too I really like his KOF Chars.
Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:43:24 am by PeXXeR
#10  January 24, 2020, 05:54:49 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Android 18 by Team Z2: I've been keeping a close eye ever since I found out one of my favourite DBZ characters was getting the Z2 treatment, and she was well worth the wait. I'm still learning her combos for the most part but she's still great fun. NicotineFist did a great job staying true to the Z2 style with the sprites and Danielle McRae did a wonderful job on the voice acting. On top of all this, she's still a beta, so she's only gonna get better from here!
Don't forget the coder who made her ;)
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#11  January 24, 2020, 07:34:12 pm
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada

Of course, major props to you for coding her! I focused too much on spotlighting the new people Team Z2 brought on and figured it went without saying that your coding is excellent since you've previously coded characters for Team Z2.

In hindsight that was inconsiderate of me.