YesNoOk

What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster? (Read 689 times)

Started by Capricorn Kid, March 07, 2020, 09:51:47 PM
Share this topic:
What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster?
#1  March 07, 2020, 09:51:47 PM
    • USA
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys look for when you decide what characters you add in your roster?
Re: What qualities makes a character worth a spot on your roster?
#2  March 07, 2020, 11:42:25 PM
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan

Good sprites, great combo flow, smooth animations and for me anyway, visuals.

I love characters that flow really well but still manage to be balanced, sorta flashy and not over the top.

I'm very picky about what I put in my roster, but I at least give most creations a try.
#3  March 07, 2020, 11:45:21 PM
    • USA
#4  March 08, 2020, 12:02:02 AM
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • www.dailymotion.com/2a8130871d2742d2f4da3b069

I mostly go after innovative characters that stand out or come from games I actually enjoy playing, which is probably why I find myself going for a lot of custom anime characters. IQS, Sudara13, Rakurai, 586, Muteki, Ikaruga, Otz-Kai, RicePigeon, OHMSBY and so on.
#5  March 08, 2020, 01:23:51 AM
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan

I mostly go after innovative characters that stand out or come from games I actually enjoy playing, which is probably why I find myself going for a lot of custom anime characters. IQS, Sudara13, Rakurai, 586, Muteki, Ikaruga, Otz-Kai, RicePigeon, OHMSBY and so on.

You basically listed all the creators I go for! Cept on my list, you're there too :)

I also aim for custom anime characters mostly. In my whole roster only my last row is for non-animeish characters like SF, KOF, DS etc.
#6  March 08, 2020, 01:36:53 AM
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
I add characters to my roster that I think are fun, even if they don't meet the quality standards of most rosters. (I'm especially a sucker for characters from franchises I like)
Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
#7  March 08, 2020, 01:41:41 AM
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
For me, it usually depends on why I'm adding the characters into my MUGEN in the first place: Do I wanna play as you or do I wanna fight you? If it's the former, it comes down to whether or not I like the character's design and playstyle, and if I can feel comfortable playing as that character. If it's the latter, the design still matters but now I'm also looking at the characters moves and their AI behavior: If they're too overpowered or their AI is cheap or otherwise unfun to fight, I don't keep them around.
#8  March 08, 2020, 02:55:37 AM
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Characters with solid coding and standardized gameplay.

ATM I'm trying to make a KoF roster to use with ADD004 but I'm having quite of a hard time picking characters because KoF characters are all over the place with their gameplay. Makes me wish that KoF had its own "PoTS Style".
Lasagna
Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:56:58 AM by -Ash-
#9  March 08, 2020, 03:44:20 AM
  • | The Awakened |
  • <My Work is Antiquity>
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I look at hitsparks.

Usually, if they are alligned properly with each movements and hits then that means that the creator gave a damn about it.

Lol, that sums it up for me.