Mortal Kombat 9 (Read 9461 times)

Started by SNT, February 14, 2010, 07:01:30 am
Share this topic:

SNT

Mortal Kombat 9
#1  February 14, 2010, 07:01:30 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Yeah, we all knew it was gonna happen.  Warner Bros own it now, but the same people are working on it.  A lot of people are calling Vs. DCU a return to form, so here's hoping.

Did a bit of digging around, and found an old casting call for voice actors.

[ FEMALE 3 ]
Allegiance: villain Age: 1,000s of years Actor/Voice: African-American or Middle Eastern, 20s or 30s; commanding but still feminine (think Hallie Berry as Storm in the X-Men but with no accent) She is one of many warriors forced to serve the Emperor. Best friend to Female 4, daughter of the emperor, her loyalties are tested when Female 4’s allegiance to begins to wane towards the Resistance.

[ MALE 5 ]
Race: Asian, becomes a Cyborg Country of origin: unknown Allegiance: neutral Voice: low, powerful, slight accent Age: 30s Male 5 is possibly the most ruthless of the secretive assassins. A technology enthusiast, he volunteered to be the first to undergo transformation to a cyborg. His enhanced skills and hard-hearted nature make him the perfect killing machine. He now searches for rogue clan members in order to bring them back to for cyber-conversion.

[ MALE 8 ]
Race: Native American (possibly Lakota Sioux) Allegiance: hero Age: 30s-40s Voice: Smooth, low, calm Male 8 is a great Native American shaman and thus is intimately connected to the spirit world. These powers, in combination wih his superior fighting skills, make him a most trusted ally, and one of the most formidable protectors of Earth.

[ MALE 9 ]
Race: African-American Allegiance: neutral, becomes a villain Age: 20s Male 9 is a member of the secretive ninja assassins’ guild. As such, he’s loyal to whoever pays him. Unlike his fellow members, however, there are certain lines he won’t cross. His interest in the guild seems to be waning, especially after learning of their plans to convert some of their members into cyborgs.

[ MALE 10 ]
Race: sorcerer Allegiance: villain Voice: slight indeterminably Asian accent in two versions: ancient and 40s An evil sorcerer, Male 10 hosts the Mortal Kombat tournament and is the final opponent of any Earth warrior skilled enough to survive to the championship round. His command of sorcery allows him to morph into other warriors, taking on their strengths and abilities. To sustain his life, he consumes the souls of those he defeats. He begins the story as a withered old man, but later is rejuvenated.

[ MALE 11 ]
Race: Chinese Allegiance: Shaolin monks (hero) Actor: Asian male, 20s, slight undeterminably Asian accent Male 11 is a Shaolin monk. He fought for the right to represent Earthrealm in the Mortal Kombat tournament but lost to his friend and rival. Younger and less experienced than his counterpart, his skill is unquestioned. He just needs to learn how to keep his emotions and impulsiveness in check.

[ MALE 13 ]
Race: African-American Allegiance: U.S. Special Forces (hero) Age: 30s Male 13 is the commander of a secret Special Forces unit. While pursuing a black-market arms dealer, he and his subordinate are forced to participate in the Mortal Kombat tournament. They try to complete their mission in the midst of otherworldly creatures wielding fearsome magical powers. He is built like a linebacker and is proficient in cutting-edge technology. Eventually his kombat skill is increased when his arms are replaced with super-powerful cybernetic prosthetics.

So, Jade, Kitana, Sektor, Nightwolf, human Cyrax, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao and Jax all confirmed for MK9.  Let's see how many people still like MK.
Re: Mortal Kombat 9
#2  February 14, 2010, 08:09:35 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
dont we all know it will be a lot steps behind other fighting game series again?

but whatever...

hope is there that its going to be better as ..especially MK armageddon.

bet the MK team has a bigger budget now as well under warner bros.

seems there will be a new movie of Mk as well which will be a reboot of the old story.

my personal hope is that the new MK might be a reboot as well. telling the old shang tsung/shao kahn earthrealm/outworld scenario again but with the best characters abd backgrounds of the whole mk franchise. Jax as example was supposed to be in the first Mk tournament first...Reptile who was only a secret clone character in the first Mk game could be much more now and of course be playable..as hidden character tough.

its a pity.. the mk universe is full of characters with potential...the overal atmosphere of many of the games were good..just the gameplay was always...well at least since part 5 damn stiff und clunky compared to other fighters.

remove the weapons ..have only 15-20 characters in the game but with big movesets like in tekken/vf/soul calibur. have slow and fast characters instead of liu kang being as slow as bo rai sho.

gah.. in the end it will just be another dissapointment.
gbk

btw

[ MALE 10 ]
Race: sorcerer Allegiance: villain Voice: slight indeterminably Asian accent in two versions: ancient and 40s An evil sorcerer, Male 10 hosts the Mortal Kombat tournament and is the final opponent of any Earth warrior skilled enough to survive to the championship round. His command of sorcery allows him to morph into other warriors, taking on their strengths and abilities. To sustain his life, he consumes the souls of those he defeats. He begins the story as a withered old man, but later is rejuvenated.

that sounds more like its a voice for a shang tsung in a story mode. except the arcade mode will be told in chapters (MK1 old shang ) (MK iI younger shang)

weird.

SNT

#3  February 14, 2010, 08:48:05 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
The fact that Shang Tsung's running a tournament really does suggest that MK9 is gonna be a reboot of the original MK, with added characters from 2 and 3.  Even Jax's bio says he and Sonya are chasing Kano into the tournament like MK1, and Kung Lao is the second-place Chosen One behind Liu Kang, like Shaolin Monks suggested.  Even Cyrax' story suggests that the whole cyberizing of the Lin Quei is happening behind the scenes, with Sektor already turned and Cyrax trying to bail out.  So yeah, it sounds like MK1-3 happening all at once.  Here's hoping.
#4  February 14, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
  • I'm just a passing-by Kamen Rider, remember that.
Damnit, I was hoping MK9 to be something like MKSM :<

oh tobi stop playing with robots and penises.
#5  February 14, 2010, 02:00:44 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

why should it?

but as said. the roles sound more like voices for a story mode.

either the arcademode is very expanded and maybe told like in MK vs DC this time or there is a konquest mode again. that one will probably be a bit like mK SM again

SNT

#6  February 14, 2010, 03:06:41 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
To be fair, I like the Konquest modes.  Well, the Deception one at least.  Armageddon's one was only spoiled by it being about a Gary Stu demigod, but the gameplay in it was solid.  If they're going to bring it back, more power to them.  An honest-to-God Story mode would be a very interesting prospect, though, with different branches and stuff depending on performance like BlazBlue had.
#7  February 14, 2010, 03:12:28 pm
  • Loading....Loading.....Error
This is to hoping for a good MK game.

I made this sig. :ninja:

Props to a friend for my avvie

GT

#8  February 14, 2010, 04:37:52 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby

That'd be awesomeness. Especially if they had liek 7 or 8 playable characters... With their own friggin' story mode. Seriously, it's stupid to have "Sub-Zero" and "Scorpion" running around being called "Lui Kang" and "Kung Lao".
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
#9  February 15, 2010, 03:48:25 pm
  • Loading....Loading.....Error
Why Shaolin monks? I admit that game was a good take at an MK beat em up.

Though I think that style can be retained as the Konquest mode.  :sugoi:

I made this sig. :ninja:

Props to a friend for my avvie
#10  February 15, 2010, 03:49:11 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Someone needs to shop Scorpion on that Sonic cycle pic, it works with MK too.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.

SNT

#11  February 15, 2010, 04:13:03 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
No, that doesn't work for me, anyway.  Mortal Kombat games don't tend to generate a lot of hype, as cryptic as Ed Boon can get with details.  And when they do... well, take Vs.DC for example.  When MK8 was first announced, I was hyped up for it, like the Sonic Cycle would suggest.  Then, halfway through I was crushed by the fact that I'd be fighting Superman and Captain Marvel; all hype gone.  Then the game came out, and it wasn't that bad.

Even for MK9 there hasn't exactly been a lot of hype for it.  Fair enough, the reason behind that being most of the news it got was because its owner was going under / gone under / sold out to Planet Bugs.  My point is, for the Sonic Cycle of hype management to apply, there needs to be hype, which MK doesn't generate much of any more.

Besides, mainstream MK games come and go in seasons:

MK: Warming Spring
MK2: Hot Summer
MK3: Cooling Autumn
MK4: Cold Winter
Deadly Alliance: Spring
Deception: Summer
Shaolin Monks: Autumn, but good for an Autumn game
Armageddon: Winter
vs DC: Spring

Going off that, we're due for a scorcher.
#12  February 15, 2010, 05:54:00 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
oh..on MK related sites there is hype already. but very mixed feelings.

most people expect another not so good Mk game.

Ed boon however gives hint via twitter ..like EEE for E3  and also DDD...which means its in 3D. On Gamespot the game was or still is listed as 2D fighting game.

Oh please god. give me a MK which tells the story of MK 1-3 in a new light with all the features the current consoles can add to the MK franchise. Make it a reboot which features a great fighting mode and also an awesome konquest mode which lets you fight goro and shang tsung..and later kintaro and shao kahn and all the secret fighters of MK 1 and 2 like Reptile, Jade, Smoke and Noob Saibot
#13  February 15, 2010, 05:56:31 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
MEANWHILE ON THE BOONCAVE

"mmm I wonder how i can include blood effects and skeletons enough to look edgy while still straying away from showing any cartoon violence that might get my game banned to 12 year olds... I KNOW IT, at every two moves the screen will be splashed red and the blood smears will remain so tha tthe fatalities only occur under covered up screens, its GENIUS"
#14  February 15, 2010, 06:15:29 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Not totally the topic but...

The folks over at Bloody Disgusting are reporting that Warner Bros. are in the process of making a new Mortal Kombat movie; as earlier reports have rumored, this movie will supposedly be a reboot of the movie franchise. The screenwriter is a virtual unknown, but has won an award for his previous unfilmed work. From the story:

Bloody Disgusting received word that Warner Bros. Pictures has been looking to redo Mortal Kombat with Oren Uziel in talks to write. Based on Midway's popular 1992 video game, the franchise follows the best fighters from around the globe who are summoned to an island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will determine the fate of the entire planet. Uziel's Shimmer Lake made the 2009 black list, which features the best unproduced screenplays around Hollywood.

While virtually nothing else about this reboot is known at this point, it would make sense that Warner Bros. is moving to make a new movie; with having acquired the MK license from Midway, Warner Bros. would want to take advantage of their new property as quickly as possible.
#15  February 15, 2010, 06:22:25 pm
  • An improper mind is a perpetual feast
    • brianjesusdiaz.webs.com
Not totally the topic but...

The folks over at Bloody Disgusting are reporting that Warner Bros. are in the process of making a new Mortal Kombat movie; as earlier reports have rumored, this movie will supposedly be a reboot of the movie franchise. The screenwriter is a virtual unknown, but has won an award for his previous unfilmed work. From the story:

Bloody Disgusting received word that Warner Bros. Pictures has been looking to redo Mortal Kombat with Oren Uziel in talks to write. Based on Midway's popular 1992 video game, the franchise follows the best fighters from around the globe who are summoned to an island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will determine the fate of the entire planet. Uziel's Shimmer Lake made the 2009 black list, which features the best unproduced screenplays around Hollywood.

While virtually nothing else about this reboot is known at this point, it would make sense that Warner Bros. is moving to make a new movie; with having acquired the MK license from Midway, Warner Bros. would want to take advantage of their new property as quickly as possible.

And the release date..........................2013.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/

Oh, and on the other hand..............

http://www.totalmortalkombat.com/news/index.php#1263049331
Ed Boon playing online

http://www.trmk.org/news/12794/santa_to_deliver_mortal_kombat_9_on_christmas_2010.html
Christmas 2010
I'm on a 5000 calorie diet! :D
#16  February 15, 2010, 06:29:41 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.

SNT

#17  February 15, 2010, 06:51:00 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
#18  February 15, 2010, 06:53:20 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#19  February 16, 2010, 01:11:53 pm
Eh, at this point, I'm not buying too much into this....

I've said it before, but I'm still of the opinion that a true mortal kombat game cannot exist in today's politically correct environment. Chances are this MK9 will turnout being more like an MK vs DCU. If he tries to return MK to its gore filled glory days, then all the power to him. I just know that I won't be able to play it where I am.

The people's Republic of Australia
#20  February 17, 2010, 06:17:15 pm
  • "Passin out poison apples..."
well boon promised mk9 to be the most goriest game in the franchise
i'm looking forward to it 8)

"actions have reactions dont be quick quick to judge,
 you may not know the hardships people dont speak of,
 it's best to step back and observe with couth,
 for we all must meet our moment of truth"
 Credit To Yzan