YesNoOk

Automatic Stage Creation Tool (Compatible Mugen 1.0) - UPDATED !!! (Read 136641 times)

Started by Cybaster, February 18, 2010, 02:43:29 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Automatic Stage Creation Tool (Compatible Mugen 1.0)
#41  February 19, 2010, 04:11:27 am
  • ITS MORPHING TIME!!!
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • http://www.mediafire.com/?qt39a5kvdd0a5,sf1v19c639n01,e3ctsei5sid20,5i0jjcjri7zvl,g2led8bz1uj54,47gwixx3kw399,ytydyqlxfd7b4
@ Reza : nope, not a command line tool AT ALL. THat's the point of the tool : making it accessible to everybody. Just try, you'll see. :P

Whew... that's what I'm talking about, thanks for clearing things up. :_blank:
#42  February 19, 2010, 04:13:44 am
Awesome cybaster, this will help me make those high res cvs2 stages or mvc2 stages with no colorloss(was such a pain to do before)

AWESOME!! DOWNLOADING NAO !! :buttrox:

Now you just need to make one of these for characters, I remember Caddie had the blueprints for one. :P

If this ever happens i'll be making characters for sure!
For more Mugen stuff visit me at http://retrostage.trinitymugen.net/
#43  February 19, 2010, 04:18:03 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Interesting idea, automatizing the dull parts of the process is always handy.

Some remarks:

- The prompt for the image file provides a PNG example - it would be handy if it mentioned which formats it does accept. Fortunately PCX is one of them, but knowledge of Mugen revealed this, not the GUI. a newcomer may think PNG is the only option...

- It doesn't contemplate xscale or yscale, unfortunately - this would make it handy to test stages based on images not from games which may not use objects in the same scale as most characters; it would also automate the bother of calculating the values for every relevant measure like height, width and floor placement every time the scale is tweaked. (yes, it's been a recent annoyance).

- After the first parameters, it opens a blank window, at least to me - only a step or two later is it changed into a model of how the stage will look like. If that's the way it works, it'd make more sense to either make the 2nd window only appear when it displays the stage mockup, not before...

- Why not use Kung Fu Man as the reference character, with Suave Dude and the opponent on the test/confirm image? Seems to me like the best way to respect Mugen's DYI roots compared to the franchise Vs franchise thing it's generally regarded as.

- If you know nothing about color optimization algorithms, the GUI won't help you choose. A brief description of them, or at least  a short list of pros and cons of each would help.

-
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
:( Well, odd are this was covered in an earlier post, but it's annoying and I'm posting as I'm testing, I'll prolly try the suggested fixes later =P
#44  February 19, 2010, 09:06:39 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
@ Loona :

- The prompt for the image file provides a PNG example - it would be handy if it mentioned which formats it does accept. Fortunately PCX is one of them, but knowledge of Mugen revealed this, not the GUI. a newcomer may think PNG is the only option...
Yeah, this can be easily added to the explanation of the parameter, within the balloon.

- It doesn't contemplate xscale or yscale, unfortunately - this would make it handy to test stages based on images not from games which may not use objects in the same scale as most characters; it would also automate the bother of calculating the values for every relevant measure like height, width and floor placement every time the scale is tweaked. (yes, it's been a recent annoyance).
I understand you, as I had the same problem with the Shoto Factory stage for the MS Paint Project. I covered this in the Documentation. The language in which I coded this tool (tcl/tk) is not an image processing program at all. I had coded an option so you could change the scale of the image from 0.5 to 2, with a step of 0.05, but this scaling took about 30 seconds to occur, which I considered far too much just to display an image. :(
If I were to add this one day, I think I'l have to rely on a little Java script to save the temp image.

- After the first parameters, it opens a blank window, at least to me - only a step or two later is it changed into a model of how the stage will look like. If that's the way it works, it'd make more sense to either make the 2nd window only appear when it displays the stage mockup, not before...
A blank window ? Maybe when you select the image via the "select file button", there's an annoying blank window. Apart from that, I don't see what you're talking about.

- Why not use Kung Fu Man as the reference character, with Suave Dude and the opponent on the test/confirm image? Seems to me like the best way to respect Mugen's DYI roots compared to the franchise Vs franchise thing it's generally regarded as.
Yeah, I could do that. True.

- If you know nothing about color optimization algorithms, the GUI won't help you choose. A brief description of them, or at least  a short list of pros and cons of each would help.
Yeah, I guess the explanation in the balloons isn't very clear or precise. I can add those (or people could just read my "stage creation tutorial" which I linked in the Documentation :wink3:).

This is cool, but why in the world doesnt it make .sff files??? Makes .def files just fine  :S
@ People who have 64bits OS : yeah, sorry, the program compiles the SFF with sprmaker, which is not compatible with 64bits OS, as reported by Hank during betatesting. This tool was released by Elecbyte in 2001, and wasn't updated since then. Not much I can do. :(
#45  February 19, 2010, 09:48:30 am
  • 2Lazy2SpriteMoreNova
Now I can update my most recent Bayonetta stage with this if I feel like it. Thanks Cybaster for taking your time to do this.
#46  February 19, 2010, 10:41:36 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Heh, never thought a tool such as an automatic stage-creation would exist. Thanks Cybaster. ^^

(I took the time on using it, and made a stage in 4 minutes with the tool. I'll release it later, since I don't know if anyone will like it)
#47  February 19, 2010, 11:30:37 am
Great! It easy for cut pic to jigsaw. ;D
Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:39:27 am by zion
#48  February 19, 2010, 12:32:02 pm
  • GITF (we the best)
    • ghostintheflesh.all-forum.net/
considering that a tool like this has been made. i would prefer that people don't make one BG stages and call it a day. if your not going to animate it then you shouldn't bother. like i said this tool does the work for us so basically you get the point
#49  February 19, 2010, 01:52:22 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
I understand you, as I had the same problem with the Shoto Factory stage for the MS Paint Project. I covered this in the Documentation.

For me it's been the Punch Out stage for the same project (0.7 scale looks decent, everything's too damn big above that).
I tested the program quickly last night before bed as I found about it, so I didn't check the documentation yet.

The language in which I coded this tool (tcl/tk) is not an image processing program at all. I had coded an option so you could change the scale of the image from 0.5 to 2, with a step of 0.05, but this scaling took about 30 seconds to occur, which I considered far too much just to display an image. :(
If I were to add this one day, I think I'l have to rely on a little Java script to save the temp image.

Perhaps the display of the sample image could be optional, to make the time waiting for it to be generated more understandable? ("Do you wish to see an example of the stage's look?" "Yes/No" "Please wait while the example image is generated.")

A blank window ? Maybe when you select the image via the "select file button", there's an annoying blank window.

Yeah that one - seems odd and annoying since it's purpose is unknown until the stage example appears there after you click a "Next" button.

- If you know nothing about color optimization algorithms, the GUI won't help you choose. A brief description of them, or at least  a short list of pros and cons of each would help.
Yeah, I guess the explanation in the balloons isn't very clear or precise. I can add those (or people could just read my "stage creation tutorial" which I linked in the Documentation :wink3:).

The link isn't in the program itself either...
In any case, for a short explanation of only that kind of info it shouldn't take a lot of room - the window looks pretty big and empty anyway when only those 3 buttons are there. Also, being able to see that info if you happen to be offline would be handy ("aw man, net's down... I'd try to do a stage, but all the good tutorials are online :( ").
#50  February 19, 2010, 02:18:29 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
:beatnik2: vive la France!!  medaille d'or!!  thanks Cybz :)
#51  February 19, 2010, 02:26:08 pm
    • France
Perhaps the display of the sample image could be optional, to make the time waiting for it to be generated more understandable? ("Do you wish to see an example of the stage's look?" "Yes/No" "Please wait while the example image is generated.")
But if you don't display the image, how can you place the Ryu sprite and the red line ?

Yeah that one - seems odd and annoying since it's purpose is unknown until the stage example appears there after you click a "Next" button.
Dunno why Tcl/Tk does that, because it's a built-in function. Maybe I wrote an input badly. I'll have to check.

The link isn't in the program itself either...
In any case, for a short explanation of only that kind of info it shouldn't take a lot of room - the window looks pretty big and empty anyway when only those 3 buttons are there. Also, being able to see that info if you happen to be offline would be handy ("aw man, net's down... I'd try to do a stage, but all the good tutorials are online Sad ").
Makes sense. I'm currently updating it with pros and cons, but yeah, you're right, I can surely make a better presentation with more explanations, instead of this empty window.
While we're at it, I hope you saw all the various explanations a bit everywhere, appearing in balloons when you hover the mouse over active zones ?

:beatnik2: vive la France!!  medaille d'or!!  thanks Cybz :)
Omelette de Fromage ! :moustache:
#52  February 19, 2010, 03:53:44 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
But if you don't display the image, how can you place the Ryu sprite and the red line ?

True... Maybe it'd work to simply add the "Please wait while the example image is generated" message...

While we're at it, I hope you saw all the various explanations a bit everywhere, appearing in balloons when you hover the mouse over active zones ?

Can't say I have, 'twas a brief test. I think I searched for something of the sort when it came to the 3 algorithms bit, but no explanations there - everything else seemed quite self-evident from pre-existing knowledge, this is where it seemed needed IMO.
#53  February 19, 2010, 04:21:39 pm
Omelette de Fromage ! :moustache:
You know you've doomed us all with this tool, right? LoL On the upside, you will have made more stages, be credited, and made e-love to more than every creator combined by the end of the year. Way to go!  :laugh:
#54  February 19, 2010, 04:26:15 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
You should thank him, he just made dudes that make actual stages ( like you) suddenly become even more of a rare thing by giving the one layer people something automatic. :P

The requirements to become a contributor through stages jumped up a lot now.
#55  February 19, 2010, 04:29:55 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Seeing all this positive feedback makes me want to improve the parts I contributed.
Recently I learned a few tricks to make the program run faster.
#56  February 19, 2010, 04:43:51 pm
  • Burn to Fight
very nice Cybaster , this is a nice contribution for the mugen comunity , congratulations  :sugoi: :sugoi: :sugoi:

#57  February 19, 2010, 04:49:39 pm
Seeing all this positive feedback makes me want to improve the parts I contributed.
Yeah, it's just a shame that the tool leaves 64-bit OS users out in the cold. For me it would be a nice tool to use to quickly see how I want to position a stage, how it would look with fighters on it, and other stuff like that. I would install a virtual machine but meh, one windows OS is enough of a headache for me.
#58  February 19, 2010, 05:16:13 pm
I made a stage and there is only a def file but not an sff file.
#59  February 19, 2010, 05:27:30 pm
    • France
You know you've doomed us all with this tool, right? LoL On the upside, you will have made more stages, be credited, and made e-love to more than every creator combined by the end of the year. Way to go!  :laugh:
POTS has his name in 50% of characters' readme. I shall have 50% too, but for stages ! :ninja: ;D

The requirements to become a contributor through stages jumped up a lot now.
LOL yeah.

Best news of the day. :sugoi:
I'll surely be waiting for all these improvements. :yes:

Yeah, it's just a shame that the tool leaves 64-bit OS users out in the cold. For me it would be a nice tool to use to quickly see how I want to position a stage, how it would look with fighters on it, and other stuff like that. I would install a virtual machine but meh, one windows OS is enough of a headache for me.
I'd send a PM to Elecbyte, but I don't think they'd be interested in updating a tool made for old winmugen so that 64 bits OS users can use it. They'd rather work on sprmaker2.

I made a stage and there is only a def file but not an sff file.
You have a 64 bits OS. Sorry.
* Cybaster should add a disclaimer in the Docs to state that 64 bits users are fucked.
#60  February 19, 2010, 05:37:21 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
hey, nice tool, I will check it later.

I haven`t tested it yet, but it works with just 1 sprite stages? or we can add more layers?

And I know that its Elecbytes`s fault, but too bad this doesn`t works on 64bits OS :(