YesNoOk

How the Gun Lobby Shot Down D.C.'s Congressional Vote  (Read 793 times)

Started by Jmorphman, June 06, 2010, 03:12:46 am
Share this topic:
How the Gun Lobby Shot Down D.C.'s Congressional Vote
#1  June 06, 2010, 03:12:46 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Re: How the Gun Lobby Shot Down D.C.'s Congressional Vote
#2  June 06, 2010, 03:22:19 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
Shooting a gun is much cooler than voting, nerd.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#3  June 06, 2010, 03:22:59 am
  • FTW!!!
Could someone summarize this please?
#4  June 06, 2010, 04:04:36 am
    • http://nxistence.tumblr.com/
a bunch of old, career politicians siding with a powerful (read : rich) lobby over what would be best for the citizens of this country. why i never!
#5  June 06, 2010, 04:18:43 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
#6  June 06, 2010, 05:25:07 am
  • much love to r. kelly
It's a democratic squabble over the constitutionality of the US gun law(and to an extent how it coincides with voting rights), to put it in a concise, skim-read way.
#7  June 06, 2010, 06:57:15 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
So uh... some tl;dr history lesson. exciting.
#8  June 06, 2010, 07:44:27 am
  • FTW!!!
English
#9  June 07, 2010, 02:53:13 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I am not from the usa so I will wait until they are really the official rulers of our world before reading such a long article.
#10  June 07, 2010, 05:00:18 am
    • USA
I guess apathy is better than being against D.C.'s voting rights.  :-\

Could someone summarize this please?
The stars were aligned for D.C. to finally have what every other citizen in this country has, what was what the country was founded on: no taxation without representation. Citizens of D.C. had long been denied a vote in Congress, and yet they were still taxed. But a bill was drafted that would give D.C. a voice in Congress, until the NRA decided to fuck everything up. They basically made the bill impossible to pass without the ridiculous addition that D.C. could never, ever pass a law controlling guns in the city. A city with a very high murder rate. A city where there are hundreds of important politicians. The NRA wanted people to be able to openly carry guns around a city like this. And this was fucking ridiculous. So the bill was withdrawn; and now D.C. getting a vote looks like a pipe dream. Utah was going to get another seat in Congress if D.C. was going to get one, now because of the census, they're getting one anyway. It's just fucking unbelievable that over half a million people's voices are not heard; that fucking Wyoming, which has a smaller population than D.C., not only has a representative in the house, but two fucking senators. This is an absolute disgrace and it makes me sick.
#11  June 07, 2010, 05:09:48 am
  • FTW!!!
So then why did they back down? That shit kinda pisses me off and if I was Barack, I would've passed the bill without the NRA's consent.

What the idiots dont even understand is that second admendment only talks about MILITIA BEING NECESSARY
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

militia

mi·li·tia [ mə líshə ] (plural mi·li·tias)

noun
Definition:

1. soldiers who are also civilians: an army of soldiers who are civilians but take military training and can serve full-time during emergencies

2. reserve military force: a reserve army that is not part of the regular armed forces but can be called up in an emergency

3. unauthorized quasi-military group: an unauthorized group of people who arm themselves and conduct quasi-military training

They could've used the militia/necessary to take advantage saying "It's not necessary to carry guns until it is the time of crisis."

Plus the constitution is out dated anyways. Don't know why we still follow a piece of paper that was great 500 years ago but now it's abused and useless.
#12  June 07, 2010, 05:10:57 am
    • USA
So then why did they back down? That shit kinda pisses me off and if I was Barack, I would've passed the bill without the NRA's consent.
Not enough votes. The NRA was going to give failing grades to anyone who voted for the bill without the stipulation that D.C. could not regulate guns at all.
#13  June 07, 2010, 08:59:26 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
guns are good. cry some more.
#14  June 07, 2010, 03:46:16 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Oh no, guns!!! So scary! I can't sleep at night!  ::)

Everyone should own at least three guns.

They could've used the militia/necessary to take advantage saying "It's not necessary to carry guns until it is the time of crisis."

Plus the constitution is out dated anyways. Don't know why we still follow a piece of paper that was great 500 years ago but now it's abused and useless.
That is why you'll never be president ever. Barack cares about his reelection in 2012, he wouldn't want to overstep his authority during his first term.

Also, carry guns only during "times of crisis". So would the government pass the guns out to each citizen during each crisis and then expect each gun be returned when the crisis ends? Or would we expect gun stores to be flooded with people during this 'time of crisis' with people waiting to get checked out and be able to buy a gun?

The constitution is abused. That's about all I can agree with that last line, and maybe that it's dated in some areas.