YesNoOk

Mugen Tournament Beta Update May 30 2011  (Read 23897 times)

Started by Shamrock, April 27, 2011, 09:43:12 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen Tournament Beta Update May 30 2011
#61  June 04, 2011, 09:21:44 pm
  • I got a PM.
I have network 4.0 installed and I have Windows 7 and it still does not work.
Well at least now I know you are not running linux, but only if I knew what does not work mean. A guy that just keeps saying something doesn't work, while being to lazy to say what happens, doesn't know if he has 4.0 installed or not. Please explain what it does so I can fix it. I mean, if you click on a fucking EXE file, it will do something. The only way it wouldn't is if you have not installed 4.0, then it wouldn't do anything at all.
Running Windows 7 64 bit and WinMugen; still have issues with the loser occasionally fighting on in the next round instead of the winner. Also the program always selects at least one character more than once, which kind of defeats the purpose of a tourney (IMO anyway) if you have a fairly-sized roster.

Please tell me more. Are your rounds set to 2 in the Mugen.CFG. Currently the program is really only supporting 2, if you did 3 you would get lucky and it would work more than half the time because I added a round in case of draw, but if you had set it to 3 rounds and the fight lasted until the fifth round, then who ever won the 4th round would win the fight. Is that the case?

If it is, know that I will be adding support for more or less rounds in an update. In the future, MT will just read the rounds in the cfg and will act accordingly.

As far as the program selecting at least one character more than once, I think that should be a user preference kind of thing, and I will add options to turn that of or on in an update.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:26:29 pm by Shamrock
#62  June 04, 2011, 10:02:07 pm
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !
Please tell me more. Are your rounds set to 2 in the Mugen.CFG currently the program is really only supporting 2, if you did 3 you would get lucky and it would work half the time because I added a round in case of draw, but if you had set it to 3 rounds and the fight lasted until the fifth round, then who ever won the 4th round would win the fight. Is that the case?

If it is, know that I will be adding support for more or less rounds in an update. In the future, MT will just read the rounds in the cfg and will act accordingly.

As far as the program selecting at least one character more than once, I think that should be a user preference kind of thing, and I will add options to turn that of or on in an update.

Thank you for the feedback.

Don't see anything pertaining to number of rounds in Mugen.CFG, though my match.wins parameter in Fight.def is set to 2 which is what you meant I'm assuming.
#63  June 04, 2011, 10:26:36 pm
  • I got a PM.
Yes, sorry.... And sometimes it doesn't tell you who won correctly. I am going to assume that you didn't have two draws.

Is it a particular match that does it, for instance match 15 or something? Or is this something that comes and goes?
#64  June 06, 2011, 07:17:38 am
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !
Yes, sorry.... And sometimes it doesn't tell you who won correctly. I am going to assume that you didn't have two draws.

Is it a particular match that does it, for instance match 15 or something? Or is this something that comes and goes?

Yeah they're normal 2 fight wins and it seems to be random, far as I can tell. I also seem to have a problem loading Umihei's characters. I get:

Error message: Cannot find character: chars/SF3/SF3.def

The .def files are SF3 Oro (Umihei).def for example, so I assumed the program had an issue with the space/s. I renamed all the .defs/folders to the fighter's name (Oro.def for example) and now they load fine. Strange thing is I get the same above error message even after the re-naming.

I'm guessing all this wonkyness is due to WinMugen but I'll test the same roster in Mugen 1.0 and see what happens.
Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:34:36 pm by Mictlantecuhtli
#65  June 06, 2011, 07:37:32 am
  • I got a PM.
SF3 Oro (Umihei).def Umm he puts his name in there like that. Change the name of the def and directory to "SF3 Oro" I don't think it is the spaces, I think it is the (thing), because it would be like adding parenthesis into a command line.

Again, I will make a setup checker that will help with that sort of thing.

Do me a favor, next time it doesn't choose the right fighter, write down the match number and then go to your mugen directory and open up the a file named "winner" with word pad, and then quote the contents here.

If it is coming in going, my theory is the winmugen might have issues with the log file.
#66  June 06, 2011, 05:22:09 pm
  • Dont Call me China or Chuugoku!

Then why do I see this then
#67  June 06, 2011, 07:34:08 pm
  • I got a PM.
That is a very good question. The only time I have seen that previously was because someone didn't put the mugen directory that contained mugen and all sub folders into the release directory.

The thing is, I added a failsafe that should have told you that you didn't install it correctly.

Since you didn't show me details, I will guess that your mugen uses, C:\release\mugen\somebullshit\chars. Somebullshit is causing the error. This same problem could be happening with the stages. 

I haven't test out someone excluding every character in tmfiles exclude, or having none of their directories match the .def file names. That my throw and error.

It could be that select.def is not in the data directory. Or you might have made a funny path to the data directory.

You could have removed files from tmfiles or tmimages

You see why I need details? This is what you should do, download mugen from elecbytle, then redownload my program. Put the mugen directory in the release directory. This would be a fresh mugen and a fresh MT. If it works, then we know that you are using a screenpack that needs adjusting. If it doesn't then we would need to look into why it doesn't work on your machine.

I have added fail safe to most of these kinds of errors, but maybe you found a new one.
Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:43:04 pm by Shamrock
#68  June 08, 2011, 03:00:49 am
Here is where the characters the patircular mugen i was talking about: C:\Users\Jarod\Documents\Mugen 1.0 1\mugen\chars
#69  June 08, 2011, 03:26:49 am
  • I got a PM.
And this is where it should be

C:\Users\Jarod\Documents\release\mugen\chars

I am a little upset that you are getting the error though, there should have been a warning pop up and tell you that you are not doing it right.

Are you using my old version. As in, you didn't download the latest update?

Someone please try my program without mugen in the correct directory and tell me if the program gives a warning, or if it crashes like it did in the older versions. I mean as you can tell, I really can't trust this guy's ability to read directions or post what is wrong.
#70  June 08, 2011, 03:32:21 am
  • I got a PM.
A reminder from the updated fist page. From now on I will update the first and include an update here.

Requirements: .net framework 4.0 installed on your computer.

Now with only 4 buttons.
No source is included.

If you have .net framework 4.0 and a copy of mugen put it in "release" directory. It should be like this working directory \release\mugen

Ok, First off, you will see a new screen with a single button on start up. This screen is temporary solution to people that do not copy their entire mugen directory to the release directory. Before it would give an error, now it gives directions and closes if mugen is not proper.

Second, you no longer have to add stages or characters to text files. Now the program reads your chars directory and select.def. Things to note; the program will not find your character if the character's directory does not match the character's def file name. Another note, your select.def needs to be in the data directory.

Third, we now use a customizable font for the character names. In the TMimages directory, there is a directory named fonts. There you can customize the font if you want.

Fourth, The character's directory is no longer listed, instead the character's display name from the def file is listed.

Fifth, If you do not want a certain character or stage in you select.def to be randomly selected in mugen tourn, you can add the character's def file name to the excludedfighter or stages in the directory TMfiles. Example, kfm.def would be listed in excludedfighter.txt as "kfm" Note, that if you do not have kfm as one of your fighters, you will need to add him to the excludefighters.txt, because select.def has kfm and kfm.def listed as example text.

Enjoy.

Let me know if you find a bug.

Link

Mediafire download

http://www.mediafire.com/?o7unkfcxhuhxl9g
#71  June 08, 2011, 11:58:43 am
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !
Do me a favor, next time it doesn't choose the right fighter, write down the match number and then go to your mugen directory and open up the a file named "winner" with word pad, and then quote the contents here.

Match 14

[Match 1]
totalmatches = 1
team1.1 =
team2.1 =
stage = stages/sf3sidudley.def

Strange thing is I get the same above error message even after the re-naming.

Forget about this, I made a mistake and it indeed does fix the problem.

Update: Error message: Cannot find character: chars/Chaos/Chaos.def

This was from BC's Chaos Balrog (Chaos Balrog.def) so it does look like spaces in the .def are an issue.
Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:35:41 pm by Mictlantecuhtli
#72  June 08, 2011, 07:10:30 pm
It works now its way better than a mugen tourney.
#73  June 08, 2011, 11:51:46 pm
  • I got a PM.

Match 14

[Match 1]
totalmatches = 1
team1.1 =
team2.1 =
stage = stages/sf3sidudley.def

Strange thing is I get the same above error message even after the re-naming.

Forget about this, I made a mistake and it indeed does fix the problem.

Update: Error message: Cannot find character: chars/Chaos/Chaos.def

This was from BC's Chaos Balrog (Chaos Balrog.def) so it does look like spaces in the .def are an issue.

Very interesting. You were the one using Winmugen I think. The problem of not choosing the winner is not my program's but Mugen's. For some reason the log file was not completed. I have not seen that problem with Mugen 1.0 so perhaps it is something they fixed. Keep an eye out and see if it only happens with certain characters or stages. Perhaps they are breaking mugen in some way. I would like to know if my program lets you re-fight the fight. Otherwise, I will have to find a fix to make up for winmugen's failure.

Thanks for the heads up about the spaces.

#74  August 29, 2011, 05:47:58 pm
    • sites.google.com/site/mugensbestspritersintheworld/
Hello Shamrock
I downloaded this tool last week. I test it but was a bit dissapointed at it.  :'(
the program chooses the fighters ramdomly. You can not choose who are going to fight. That really dissapointed me. Could you fix that please?
#75  August 29, 2011, 11:20:50 pm
  • hecc
ok i have a problem i added a bunch of .gif images and sometimes when i start up mugen tournament it gives me this
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
here are all the images im using
http://www.mediafire.com/?e4cp4poco4ug8x3

>_>
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:30:36 pm by The man everyone hates
#76  August 30, 2011, 04:13:13 am
  • I got a PM.
At supergarrocha... I am working on a way to choose characters. It will be a ways down the road before this feature is added, right now I find it more important to finish Fight intros and such.

At Above. I don't really have the time to chase down the GIF that is causing that problem, but thanks for the tip on the Debugging. I might actually be turning off GIF for the select image in the next update. I have worked with VirtualTek on using individual sprites for certain animations because animated GIFs were giving some problems when trying to animate. In short, windows does not play well with GIF. 

To everyone else, Updates are coming but at the moment I don't have a bunch of time. The next update is taking a lot more work to figure out, but will be worth it. Enjoy and keep the feedback coming.
#77  August 30, 2011, 04:43:34 pm
    • sites.google.com/site/mugensbestspritersintheworld/
At supergarrocha... I am working on a way to choose characters. It will be a ways down the road before this feature is added, right now I find it more important to finish Fight intros and such.

So it's great to hear you are working on that. So, I'll have to wait... Thanks.
#78  September 05, 2011, 04:46:50 pm
    • mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/
welcome back and glad you are working on this again. reposting this here due to i guess this is the main topic for the project.

Everyone, especially those of you considering full game projects, please take a look at this tool as it can revolutionize things you can do with a full game if shamrock gets the proper feedback.

Thank you for resolving that 1 bug I told you about in pm. That bug prevented my being about to test the previous version any more.

Regarding the current version:
- love the new layout and selection
- good job on giving options for tournament size
- would maybe like a readme txt file in the next version. for instance, when clicking set up, was there anything else i was supposed to do?
- not all chars 9000,1 port were shown
- many/most names were not used
- did not see instances where character behavior was jacked up like in previous pm report. however, super mario never randomly picked either when testing (ran 4 tests)
- still got times where the wrong winner moved onto the next round (can't recall though how many rounds that match took however) i do know it happened less frequently
- the win quote window apparently uses the top portion of a def file including nonsensical info and does not read the character name correctly (though that might be tied to the previous mention of name not listed correctly)
- had an instance where clicking the final had 3 mugen windows open. i may have doubleclicked once however which would explain the 2nd window but not the 3rd. in any case, maybe try to put something in to prevent more than 1 mugen application opening at a time?
- is there something coded in to where a fighter picked will use a particular palette? i ask because it might be better to have random palette selection happen. i bring it up due to 1 of the fighters i used to test (marvin martian) always picked the same annoying palette
- still getting times where tournament keeps selecting randomly for every slot instead of going for a wider range of bracket selection (i.e. multiple use of same fighters instead of broadening the roster more)
- will only characters on the def file be candidates for selection? i had more in the char file but not on the def file (using fresh mugen v1.1 with default screenpack which limits however many on the def file)
- escaping out of a match not yet finished picked a winner as if the fight did get completed

ideas for further versions (some of which may include ideas towards better future full game usage):
- use more match types (including being able to mix. for example 1v2, 1vturnbased team of 4, etc)
- stream from 1 match to the next
- ability to specifically choose a match up each round (including mixed match types)
- ability to lay out fight path opponents (including mixed match types)
- more rounds along that path
- access whatever avi or other file types (such as what people use for arcade intro and endings) between matches to help tell a full game story

#79  September 06, 2011, 06:51:05 am
  • I got a PM.
Good feedback. Before my short hiatus I actually found many bugs that we causing some of the problems listed. I believe I have solved most of the winner and esc button issues, but I am sure you guys will find more.

The 3 window thing baffles me considering I have set threading to go with Mugen.

The pallet idea I will try to bring that in another update not the next, but it is added to the list.

Only characters listed in the def file are able to be chosen and they must not be in the excluding text files.

As for the turn based stuff and such I will be bringing those abilities in another modes. Currently I am working on fight intros for tournament and the beginnings of a story mode where the characters would have a text file in their folder (Up to three) that would be created by the user and can have any combination that the command line has as well as avi files for the story. I use the term "currently" loosely, because my university studies, girlfriend, and paying bills are taking up my time. The next update will have the intros but the full "story mode" will only be their screens and not game yet. The intros are proving to take a lot of code.

Thanks for the feedback. Some of the errors I found and fixed were obviously messing up gameplay, yet very few people reported them.

In short, thanks for testing and helping make this project better. 
#80  September 06, 2011, 06:11:25 pm
great work! despite some bugs,your project is very interesting!! i noticed  bugs were :
1. one char could appear twice or more.
2.some gif of chars didn t followed the next fight properly:for example, the gif of loser char took the space of the winner gif.
so, it s the more important to rectify.
i would like to submit to you  ideas for your project.Here there are:
1.you can add a command to choice at least one or two favorite char if it s possible.
2.you can add an animation for the random draw of the challengers.
3.you can add to complete your project a section record in order to comparate the char
4.the introductions and endings, of course!
5.keep the mode watch:it s very useful!
i wish you to improve your project.good luck! i will follow your work!