YesNoOk

Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021) (Read 601219 times)

Started by tunglashor, September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
Share this topic:
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 18/06/2012)
#241  January 05, 2013, 11:24:00 pm
Not to mention adding characters erases recently added stages.

I've had this issue from time to time; I always keep a copy of the Select.def file open before adding characters. Should the stages be erased, I simply copy them from the older select and paste them into the new one, then save it and keep it open to use for the next change/addition. I've found it sometimes erases arcade order as well, so I just copy and paste that over too. The only thing that really irks me is how Vselect changes all slashes to \ instead of / . I prefer /, so I just find all \ and replace them using the replace feature in notepad, not really a big deal. I suppose these could be considered issues to fix with future versions, but they're not terrible enough to even remotely discourage use of the software, at least for me.
#242  January 07, 2013, 07:33:54 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, work etc has eaten up all my time.  Don't worry about necrobumping this thread though as I always appreciate feedback and bug reports even if I don't respond right away.  You can also email me directly (see the Help menu).

@Makurayami
Thanks for the bug report, I'll try to make time to look into it.

@Qtherandomdude
\ is the correct Windows file separator so that's what the program uses.  It's easier for me to normalize all paths as they're read from the select.def (i.e. make all separators the same) so I change them all to the correct character.  Never occurred to me that anyone would have a personal preference!

To the people who've had stage/order info deleted:
If this happens please could you let me know with as much detail as possible?  What I need is a way of recreating the problem.  If I can get a set of steps that always results in lost data then that will help me isolate and fix the error.  Until it's fixed, note that by default VSelect creates a backup before each save - have a look in the VSelect_backups folder, which should be located in the same folder as the select.def file.
#243  January 07, 2013, 08:58:30 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Found a fix to my problem (kinda), posting it for anyone else experiencing the same thing.

I switched the MUGEN exe that VSelect used to a a secondary MUGEN.  The program errored out and crashed, but when it reopened it opened the secondary MUGEN.  I switched the exe back to my primary MUGEN (the one that was giving errors before) and then tried opening the boxes that produced the error.  This time it gave no error and worked normally, so it seems to be working normal again.  I don't know why, but hopefully that helps anyone that has the issues I did.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#244  January 08, 2013, 01:39:54 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
It mainly happened with recently added stages. For example, if I'd changed up my characters multiple times after fixing my stages from being disappeared, it wouldn't delete them.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#245  January 08, 2013, 02:31:56 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
Hey man!!! Nice work but i had problems with this tool...

So, this is my mugen rooster:

however, when i try edit my rooster in visual select the rooster aper like this:

P.S. I´m use the 1.0 RC7 version

This problem still happening even all of updates... Can you help me???

#246  January 12, 2013, 05:24:45 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
@Mr.Karate JKA
I remember the last time you posted - I replied but I guess you missed it, so here it is again

Hmm, that's pretty bad  :S
Could you let me know the name of the screenpack and where to download it, and if possible could you PM me a copy of your select.def file?
Also: it's difficult to see exactly what's happening in that screenshot as it's so small - maybe you could reduce the window size and make a normal-size screenshot?
#247  January 17, 2013, 07:42:37 pm
will you update this to the new version of mugen or are you keeping it for pre version 1.0
#248  January 17, 2013, 09:05:00 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I use 1.0 with it and it works fine (besides the occasional odd glitch).
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#249  January 19, 2013, 04:18:23 am
  • Masturbating to a dial tone
    • spaces.msn.com/couttsgallery/
I just started with this program and it has A LOT of potential, thank you!
I hope you continue to tune it up, it's already saved me a ton of time configuring my select screen.
Look at my painting gallery. do it. its the globe under the avatar.
Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:28:03 am by Ikari
#250  January 19, 2013, 06:32:17 pm
I must have wierd version as its not showing some of the characters in my display I am wondering what its max Character handling is at the moment as i may have gone over it if needs be I can supply copy of the select.def
#251  January 21, 2013, 02:11:23 pm
  • Masturbating to a dial tone
    • spaces.msn.com/couttsgallery/
Just a couple of suggestions that I think would really benefit this already awesome program:

Have you considered an option that auto detects def files that you have in your chars and stages directories as compared to what you have in your select.def? This would make adding large numbers of new chars and stages absolutely painless and instant. And the opposite, for chars that are deleted but still in the select.def file

Maybe a sort option, like by alphabetical for stages and chars?

startwinmugen is a batchfile that would have coding suggestions for these options.

Hopefully you will consider these possible additions. Thanks again.
Look at my painting gallery. do it. its the globe under the avatar.
#252  January 21, 2013, 10:31:42 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
will you update this to the new version of mugen or are you keeping it for pre version 1.0
As mentioned it should work fine for Mugen 1.0.  I posted this on the "older Mugen" board because the Mugen 1.0 board says "Releases only compatible with Mugen Version 1.0+", and VSelect is compatible with both.

I must have wierd version as its not showing some of the characters in my display I am wondering what its max Character handling is at the moment as i may have gone over it if needs be I can supply copy of the select.def
Yeah, feel free to PM me a copy of your select.def and let me know which characters aren't showing up (a screenshot might be useful too).  There's no limit on the number of characters it can handle (other than the amount of available memory).

Just a couple of suggestions that I think would really benefit this already awesome program:

Have you considered an option that auto detects def files that you have in your chars and stages directories as compared to what you have in your select.def? This would make adding large numbers of new chars and stages absolutely painless and instant. And the opposite, for chars that are deleted but still in the select.def file

Maybe a sort option, like by alphabetical for stages and chars?

startwinmugen is a batchfile that would have coding suggestions for these options.

Hopefully you will consider these possible additions. Thanks again.
Thanks for the nice words  :)
The program already detects all characters located in the chars folder (and all subfolders).  If you've ticked the View -> Show character list option you should see a list to the left.  It shows different info depending on which option you select from the dropdown at the top:
  • Characters: Lists all characters found in the Chars folder, including all subfolders.  There's an "Included" column which indicates if the character is currently present on the select screen.  You can click the column heading to group the included characters together; that should make it easy to see which characters currently are/aren't in use.  Or you can sort the list alphabetically by clicking the appropriate column header (click again to invert the order)
  • by Order: Lists all characters currently present on the select screen, grouped by their order.  You can drag characters from one section to another to set their Order (or you can drag to/from the select screen)
  • by Stage: Lists all characters currently assigned a stage, grouped by stage.  As with the by Order list you can drag characters to/from this list.  You can also right-click a stage to include/exclude it from the Extra Stages list.
Some of these ideas are demonstrated in this vid:
#253  January 21, 2013, 10:50:13 pm
  • commissions open bang my line
    • USA
    • https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/xtayisblackx?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
ah jeez am i glad to see you still active! Hey uh i have a question,

So with some certain 1.0 screenpacks, the program doesn't open at all, it shows the "Loading character data" or something along those lines with the greenbar going across, then it freezes and just sits there..

I know its got something to do with the specific screenpack but im not sure what to do?

this is the screenpack im trying to use

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/mugen-free-for-all-battle-v5-95-145389.0.html
My stages folder:
https://app.mediafire.com/g5pnpb2im4lqa

Want a screenpack ported to ikemen? DM's open
Want a stage remade with parallax & possible super jump? DM's open
#254  January 22, 2013, 02:29:15 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Graphically demanding screenpacks, large rosters, and your computer's speed can all cause the program to open slowly.  If it freezes and stops responding, wait for the program to respond again.  It'll usually come back.  Mine freezes up constantly when first opening, but comes back and starts working after a few minutes of not responding.
#255  April 27, 2013, 02:12:42 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
Bug : Whenever I try to add a character and click on a folder or file name in the open dialog, VSelect crashes. I'm unable to add characters now, I have to edit the .def file manually.
#256  April 27, 2013, 04:37:13 pm
  • Know your place Imbecile
    • Philippines
that thing never happen to me before
#257  April 27, 2013, 04:44:34 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Bug : Whenever I try to add a character and click on a folder or file name in the open dialog, VSelect crashes. I'm unable to add characters now, I have to edit the .def file manually.

try this go to     C:\Users\memo\AppData\Roaming\VSelect   and delete the option.dat file it loads up like new again
                             mine is ^  yours is different

for anybody who experiences a crash and vselect refuses to load this works!
#258  April 27, 2013, 07:11:28 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress

try this go to     C:\Users\memo\AppData\Roaming\VSelect   and delete the option.dat file it loads up like new again
                             mine is ^  yours is different

for anybody who experiences a crash and vselect refuses to load this works!
That was the first I tried but it didn't help. This was different from the startup crash, it happens when I select replace and try to open a file or folder.
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 27/07/2013)
#259  July 27, 2013, 08:01:13 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
I've uploaded a new release today - just a bugfix, to correct the issue where characters with 5-bit colour portraits would hang the program.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to resolve the crashing problem reported by Seravy.  I may have to rewrite the program some day with a more stable toolchain.

Link
#260  July 27, 2013, 08:05:51 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Thanks for fixing this. :thumbsup:
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?