YesNoOk

SD Bluestreak (Read 91714 times)

Started by Balthazar, June 14, 2013, 09:10:25 pm
Share this topic:
SD Bluestreak
#1  June 14, 2013, 09:10:25 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
This, my friends, is a little side project I've been working on for the last 3 days, I just had an epifany and things started going.
It's Bluestreak, in an updated SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium style,
in the sense that; he's fully colored and usually has more frames of animations that that game.
I do plan for an original gameplay (NOT based off that game. Maybe a mix of some other things).
This might be the first of a bunch of similar characters, but let's not go there quite yet.
I do have some vague plans for a new kind of style and Bluestreak, mr. Badass himself, will be the first to project it.

Diepod has given me his approval and he will be overseeing the project as well as joining it,
to what extend I don't know yet but as it's his character, he'll have the final word on things.

*Video added 08-01-2014
Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:49:25 pm by Balthazar
Re: Pocket Fighter Deluxe: Bluestreak
#2  June 14, 2013, 09:13:09 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice man he look awesome
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3  June 14, 2013, 09:32:18 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Those look great. :)
#4  June 14, 2013, 09:36:45 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
-Higher-pitched voices. Why nobody has done this for similar Pocket characters before (at least to my knowledge) is beyond me, as it's fucking adorable whilst, in my opinion, not losing a shred of it's badassness.
That seems... kinda silly and lame and pretty dumb. :-\

Not even the people Pocket Fighter had pitch-shifted voices (I mean, I'm not 100% sure, but if it has been pitch-shifted, it is not at all noticeable), and that game is meant to be comedic.

-More cute and cuddly hit sound effects. Nothing too stupid like American cartoon-ish, but just you know...something cute and awesome.
This also sounds pretty silly. But I guess Pocket Fighter sounds would work well, though I wouls not call them cute and cuddly, for the most part.
#5  June 14, 2013, 09:47:45 pm
    • Netherlands
I've done a few of those slightly higher-pitched voices of Bluestreak himself (just a 5...something...raise), and I do like it a lot.
It's only a little, so no chipmunk voices or anything, that'll be terrible.
As for those sound effects, I've got a pack of pretty nice whooshes and impacts, that I never really used, I planned to 'merge' them with some anime-ish sounds. I don't want it to sound like you're hitting a pillow or anything, and I haven't tested it yet, so this idea isn't set in stone yet.
I do want some original sounds, not the Capcom Fighting Jam or CvS ones that are being used a lot these days.
#6  June 14, 2013, 09:52:58 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
lovely :D
#7  June 14, 2013, 10:03:46 pm
    • USA
It just seems like making the voice higher pitched is for comedic purposes, and that sorta goes against the MotM style, IMO. I think that if there were voices in that game, they'd be normal.

And mashing up sounds sounds like hard work, just use Pocket Fighter ones and be lazy like the rest of us! >:[
#8  June 14, 2013, 10:04:31 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
My sense of humor dictates making his voice deeper actually. I'm willing to record new sounds, he'll probably need more for the bat-moves.

I like 6 button, but you have plenty on your plate, well at the rate you're pumping these out maybe not.

I do intend to help.  I'm not sure how much spriting I'll do, but I will be dropping some sketches in here of what some moves should look like. specifically the 2 grabs he'll have. (I have my reasons for not wanting the cvs grabs) Some new move ideas for his basics and some needed changes to the "Berserker" attacks. You will not enjoy animating the "Berserker Whirlwind" I may even change the name...

What are you planning for effects, namely the lightning?
Spriting is hard.
#9  June 14, 2013, 10:13:28 pm
  • SNK is life
Higher pitched voices FTW, you partypoops.
#10  June 14, 2013, 10:20:52 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
I'm also playing around with the idea of me recording lines in a higher register. kinda like how Steve Blum does for Wolverine on super hero squad.

Could be cool... : /
Spriting is hard.
#11  June 14, 2013, 10:21:34 pm
    • Netherlands
What are you planning for effects, namely the lightning?

I haven't given much though about the effects. You are aware of my love/preference for pixelly effects, but they are harder to make
(you can't just go around blurring the shit out of everything in Photoshop). The thing I dislike the most are when there're resolution-differences in the character sprites and the effects.
So it's your call on this one, I'm open to anything.
My sense of humor dictates making his voice deeper actually. I'm willing to record new sounds, he'll probably need more for the bat-moves.

I like 6 button, but you have plenty on your plate, well at the rate you're pumping these out maybe not.

I do intend to help.  I'm not sure how much spriting I'll do, but I will be dropping some sketches in here of what some moves should look like. specifically the 2 grabs he'll have. (I have my reasons for not wanting the cvs grabs)

Haven't decided on 4 or 6 buttons yet. Having just 4 is more in line with these kind of pocket fighters,
but to me it always feels like there's missing something. It WILL save a bunch of time (shaves off about 6 animations...which isn't all THAT much).

Furthermore, I'm all ears/eyes :)

Some new move ideas for his basics and some needed changes to the "Berserker" attacks. You will not enjoy animating the "Berserker Whirlwind" I may even change the name...

Wha, this thing :P? (unfinished)

I wouldn't ponder too much about the voice right now, we can get pretty far with what we've got now.
I even already up-pitched a bunch of Bluestreak lines.
Here they are, for those who're interested. Personally, I love them. Let me hear what you think.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ekfj3k

It just seems like making the voice higher pitched is for comedic purposes, and that sorta goes against the MotM style, IMO. I think that if there were voices in that game, they'd be normal.

And mashing up sounds sounds like hard work, just use Pocket Fighter ones and be lazy like the rest of us! >:[
But but I don't wanna be lazy! Cool Edit Pro is my bro, mixing sounds is easy peasy yo!
Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:38:16 pm by Balthazar
#12  June 14, 2013, 10:41:22 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
lol. Its Sparta not Satan. they are funny, ear splitting, but funny.

I'm kind of torn, because some of the recordings sounded ok in CvS, but here you can really tell the difference. I may be updating Blue's voice in the future anyway. 

Yeh, the berserker whirlwind looks the way it does because I couldn't animate what I wanted. Also, whats the diff between berserker slash and uppercut?
Spriting is hard.
Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:58:11 pm by DIEGANON
#13  June 15, 2013, 12:03:47 am
  • Plain as white bread.
    • USA
    • Adv3nturePrime@yahoo.com
Goddammit, I love this forum.
#14  June 15, 2013, 01:04:13 am
#15  June 15, 2013, 01:28:54 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA

Spriting is hard.
#16  June 15, 2013, 01:30:42 am
    • USA
Yeah, these samples sound way too silly. They don't seem like they'd fit all too well, I think.
#17  June 15, 2013, 01:50:36 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
-Higher-pitched voices. Why nobody has done this for similar Pocket characters before (at least to my knowledge) is beyond me,
I did this 4 years ago or something. People didn't like it then. If they decide to like it now, people suck.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#18  June 15, 2013, 04:21:27 pm
Yeah, these samples sound way too silly. They don't seem like they'd fit all too well, I think.

Well, this really is a joke in a sense. A joke that's taking itself seriously.
#19  June 15, 2013, 04:48:13 pm
    • Netherlands
We can just go the Z2 way and put in a config. option for high-pitched voice or other.
I want my high pitched, damnit! But I also don't want to step on anyone's toes, so that's the solution right there :)

@DIEGANON
s.MK.

Judging from your sketch, it's ment to be a high side kick, not a spinning roundhouse like cvs Bluestreak has now.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bonus:
Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:52:13 pm by Balthazar
#20  June 15, 2013, 05:34:09 pm
  • He can break those cuffs!
Will Pocket Diepod be involved at all with Pocket Bluestreak?