YesNoOk

Need some creative advice... (Read 3558 times)

Started by WiCloud, November 23, 2013, 06:43:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: Need some creative advice...
#21  November 24, 2013, 07:11:54 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have not even started hi res, I get the feeling that hi res might be esier for guys who have a drawing background, so it might be easier for you, who knows. you are at teh stage where you experiment a lot and get nothing done, that's natural.
#22  November 25, 2013, 05:10:59 am
  • Thoughts are never Actions unless there Memories
I have not even started hi res, I get the feeling that hi res might be esier for guys who have a drawing background, so it might be easier for you, who knows. you are at teh stage where you experiment a lot and get nothing done, that's natural.

Hi-res or not im doing pretty good right now =) I plan to make a Young Lemuria for mugen Spriting as we speak more to come!

hmm...need to make the tail a little more pointy, this is gonna be a girl Lemuria *i was too focused on keeping it smooth*
updated- long transparent skirt added. This is all that will be seen of it. A short Blue skirt will overlap it and from what i recall Blue and Pink are complimentary to each other.
The Wikkens Will Rise!
"To follow our path, to complete our goals, A Wikken's way is truly whole, for we seek the thrill of challenge, none too bleak*too easy* But until the day we all shall peak!"-WiCloud
Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:19:02 am by WiCloud
#23  November 27, 2013, 05:50:59 pm
  • SNK is life
After drawing for years with Paint, I can say ... HA! exactly what Felo does!
There are certain programs you need for one thing, and others for another thing.

Spoiler: Enter my Toolbox (click to see content)

So, all in all, a spriter doesn't work with Pencil and Paper only, you use different tools for different tasks.
Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:37:12 pm by walt
#24  November 27, 2013, 06:00:25 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#25  November 27, 2013, 06:36:13 pm
  • SNK is life
I meant it like a +1 :shifty:
#26  November 27, 2013, 06:52:24 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#27  November 27, 2013, 09:06:59 pm
After drawing for years with Paint, I can say ... HA! exactly what Felo does!
There are certain programs you need for one thing, and others for another thing.

Spoiler: Enter my Toolbox (click to see content)

So, all in all, a spriter doesn't work with Pencil and Paper only, you use different tools for different tasks.

I've drawn, traced, painted, sculpted and built. It's been a while and i mean over 5 years since I've done some good artistic work. Painting and drawing were my two majors. Im still very new to drawing/painting on PC.  I know nothing about layers sadly or even the program your mentioning *GraphicsGale*. I looked at the guides that were given on the first page and saw Anti-aliasing, seems useful but im not sure how to get GIMP to turn it on, when painting on there the colors don't blend too well, so when i go green to blue it stands out too much. I've got a lot to learn still but im still making a few experiment sprites with eyes and head shapes. I'll admit much harder on PC but it's not stopping me, just makes me rethink my approach when trying to get the shape needed to make it look like a head and eyes.

I also thought of trying the other tools to assist me but since i know nothing about them, i thought I'd try and draw or paint the best i could. I got my sprites pictured in my head when spriting but it's not always going to come out the exact way i picture it, so i form it take off a little here and there, shade this and that and before i know it..there it is! I'll try to learn more on the tools and GraphicsGale but im just now getting used to GIMP.
The Wikkens Will Rise!
"To follow our path, to complete our goals, A Wikken's way is truly whole, for we seek the thrill of challenge, none too bleak*too easy* But until the day we all shall peak!"-WiCloud
Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:17:04 pm by WiCloud
#28  November 27, 2013, 09:23:42 pm
  • SNK is life
Layers are mostly useful when animating, or tracing. If you work in Paint, and you trace over an image, you'd have to clean everything by hand. If you do it in Gale/Photoshop, you add a new layer on top (think adding tracing paper on top of a photo) and trace there. You won't have to clean anything, just turn off the bottom layer (i.e. the original picture) and voilá, you'll only have your tracing showing.

Antialiasing? In pixel art lingo around this parts, this is a technique we do by hand, no tools baby. You gotta know where it goes, no automated stuff. It's all about optimizing color usage, keeping it to a minimum. The problem is that in MS Paint, the Color Picker tool is on the left side menus and there are no Keyboard shortcuts, so you have to travel across the screen every time you want to choose a different color. In Gale, Color Picker is hard coded to be a single RIGHT CLICK, no need to travel any distance with the mouse or tablet to the menus on any corner, it saves time + you can assign keyboard shortcuts.

#29  November 27, 2013, 10:52:15 pm
so layers are pretty much my tracing...how can that be useful when im doing all hand-drawn sprites? Im not going around copying images to trace, im drawing them from my picture in my head.

Yes, color picker is indeed useful but sadly not hard coded in gimp as a simple right-click. Definitely useful when working with a lot of colors. my Lemuria has 8 colors *gonna make her blonde haired* I keep messing up her head but finally nailed the eyes. GraphicsGale will be kept in mind should i try spriting an entire scenery for a stage so thanks for informing me about =)
The Wikkens Will Rise!
#30  November 27, 2013, 11:24:34 pm
This is where you have to learn how to work with lines and curves in a computer interface.

I've done my share of tracing, but I did the bulk of my learning without it.
Take an image and break it down into smaller images. See what kinds of line you want/have to use ( l, S, C, 0, O, N, 3, J) and use that to make the image.

Shading is another topic entirely (and something I'm not that good at). I'm doing hi-res too for the most part (although I pretty much practice with anything).

I should start posing some of the sprites and animations I've done...
I think I can come up with something in about an hour.

Well that sure worked out didn't it? :P

I suggest making your own graphics thread... people can give you more/better feedback on what you can improve. You can't improve without criticism. :)
#31  November 28, 2013, 01:22:42 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Paint.NET might be helpful. It combines the simplicity and ease-of-use of Paint with some more advanced features from Photoshop and the like, like layers and anti-aliasing. And there's a keyboard shortcut for the eyedropper tool!

Posted: November 28, 2013, 01:26:11 am
and also it's free, so there's that
#32  November 28, 2013, 05:10:13 am
This is where you have to learn how to work with lines and curves in a computer interface.

I've done my share of tracing, but I did the bulk of my learning without it.
Take an image and break it down into smaller images. See what kinds of line you want/have to use ( l, S, C, 0, O, N, 3, J) and use that to make the image.

Shading is another topic entirely (and something I'm not that good at). I'm doing hi-res too for the most part (although I pretty much practice with anything).

I should start posing some of the sprites and animations I've done...
I think I can come up with something in about an hour.

Well that sure worked out didn't it? :P

I suggest making your own graphics thread... people can give you more/better feedback on what you can improve. You can't improve without criticism. :)

Paint.NET might be helpful. It combines the simplicity and ease-of-use of Paint with some more advanced features from Photoshop and the like, like layers and anti-aliasing. And there's a keyboard shortcut for the eyedropper tool!

Both suggestions are VERY good advice thank you! I'll go and make my own thread there after Thanksgiving *can't sprite when holidays are here*! I'll give Paint.NET a try as well who knows maybe I'll make better looking sprites there. Also, yes using letters and words! i completely forgot that! each letter or word has a structure in which some are unique to actually build on or from such as the examples given. man 5 years and it feels like art class all over again *which is good! i like learning*
The Wikkens Will Rise!
#33  November 28, 2013, 06:25:58 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

The only thing I hate about paint.net is that you can't change the palette of a .BMP or .PNG file within paint.net which sucks when importing them into FF3. (Because you have to use the image editor within ff3 to get the palettes to work properly)