YesNoOk

ELECTR0's Stage Tutorials (Read 18793 times)

Started by ELECTR0, September 19, 2014, 08:00:58 am
Share this topic:
ELECTR0's Stage Tutorials
#1  September 19, 2014, 08:00:58 am
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
    • electroslair.blogspot.com/
Instead of having a bunch of tutorial threads about stages i'm placing all of mine into one thread. As I get request on how to do something in a stage I will try my best to explain in a video if it is to hard to explain with text.

Zooming

Creating 3D effect using Parallax and Scaledelta

OldGamer wanted to know how to make the hawk on his Samurai Showdown 3 stage swirl around. This video covers how the background controllers SinY and SinX work and how it applies to the hawk.

Making a stage from start to finish - Not really a tutorial but more of a walk-through on what I do.

Using MAME and VirtualDub to jigsaw sprites together.
Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:56:15 pm by ELECTR0
Re: ELECTR0's Stage Tutorials
#2  September 19, 2014, 11:33:15 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
Hey, nice vid.  Always good to see someone promoting the use of BGCtrls. 

I didn't get a chance to check out the whole thing, but one thing I notice you doing that you don't have too is reloading mugen every time you change the stage. 

If you do shift+F4 while in a match, it'll reload the stage, applying any changes you made. 

If you don't want to use this because you think it might confuse viewers unless you explain it every video, that's understandable. 
Alternatively, since all the stage info is freshly loaded just before every fight you could just exit out to the character select screen, make the changes to the code, and then start a new fight. 
#3  September 19, 2014, 12:11:31 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
If you do shift+F4 while in a match, it'll reload the stage, applying any changes you made. 

What? Seriously? Woah I didn't know that. Gonna try it out, it should save me an ass load of time loading up the engine -_-

#4  September 19, 2014, 04:05:05 pm
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
@Elecbyte Janitor

I knew that using shift+F4 would restart the match during a fight, but I didn't know it would accept changes that I had made to the code and anim's. This will definitely speed things up for me when coding by myself. I'll use your second tip while making a video of going back to the select screen then reloading match. Thanks for the advice!
#5  November 10, 2014, 09:27:52 pm
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
New vid up about zooming.
#6  November 10, 2014, 10:36:27 pm
  • 魂-Tamashi!!
    • Skype - Fallenad16
    • 1drv.ms/1xuFckG
Hey awesome tutorials man I just wanted to ask if you could also make a tutorial on parallex that would be great help
#7  November 10, 2014, 11:04:04 pm
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
I'll add it to the to do list.
#8  November 19, 2014, 06:43:30 am
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
New video up of me making a stage from start to finish. Not really a tutorial but more of a walk-through. The sound gets offset from time to time because I speed some sections on the video up to save time on repetitious parts. This video is good for people who have zero knowledge of how to start, rip and code a simple stage. I'll have the second part up soon as I edit it.
Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:47:06 am by ELECTR0
#9  February 20, 2015, 08:04:15 pm
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
Creating 3D effect using Parallax and Scaledelta. Video in first post.
#10  February 20, 2015, 08:32:31 pm
  • Rurouni Fan
  • The dream is nothing yet drive us to the end.
    • www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWlQGjKyJWoXxMR8nrea7P4R9C0JnA-_
Yeah!
That's beyond helpful! BG controllers and parallax are something I wanna learn and I'm not a reader type, so waiting for your future video. :P
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#11  January 05, 2016, 03:57:56 pm
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
New Tutorial in the first post of using MAME and VirtualDub to jigsaw sprites together on hard to rip games.
#12  January 06, 2016, 01:08:53 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
the last tutorial would have been good by year 1999, but there are better ways nowadays:
- do not record a video and then use it for extracting sprites. Never. You may be altering the colors of the sprites and possibly affect them if the video recording program applies a compression method. To achieve what you tried, use simple screenshots from the emulator. Videos are only necessary to keep track of animation times whenever it's not possible to stepframe the emulator
- you are cheating by editing and drawing parts of the stage, like the wood fence or the gaps on the beams. The result is not a 100% true and straight conversion, but basically a by-product
- on top of that, your ripping will be limited to what is displayed on screen by the characters movement. Parts on the top would still be hidden even if you jump with the characters, ergo a non-complete stage. Use Artmoney to find the characters position and then move them to the top, forcing the camera to follow them and ensure you can rip the whole stage.
- also, with Artmoney, you can find the position of each layer and change its offset in the same way like Nebula's shots factory feature. It may be also possible to disable the layer too. Granted, this requires some knowledge on Artmoney, but you should also comment on that
- there are better ways to optimize the placement of the BG objects (big jar) than doing the trial and error you are doing. Simply place the object on Gimp in their correct place (using a screenshot of the game for reference) and then extract the sprite with the same size as the whole stage (the rest will be simply filled in magenta) and then import it to the SFF with the same axis as the floor and same positioning on the DEF. Voila! BG object automatically aligned and you save all the trial and error
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#13  January 06, 2016, 02:25:22 am
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
Thanks for the tips XGargoyle. This tut is mainly for people who can't use Artmoney.
Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:31:23 am by ELECTR0