YesNoOk

How far we can go with mugen characters edits? (Read 2002 times)

Started by NiO ErZeBeTh, April 30, 2015, 06:18:30 am
Share this topic:
How far we can go with mugen characters edits?
#1  April 30, 2015, 06:18:30 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
This is something I asked a few years ago in another forum, and I think it´s time to talk about it again with newer examples...

Most of us have seen a lot of mugen characters that we hate or we love concerning about edited characters...

Let´s say Ryu using Sonic Booms (doesn´t exists, it´s just the ample here)... I´m talking about this because I have seen a lot of official stuff that is really dumb and people love it anyways, but thinking of it as if it was a mugen character probably Mugen players will hate it...

Example... if a mugen creator added an Ha Dou Ken to Chun Li, I´m nearly sure most of us would hate it, because would be like a lame excuse to add that move to another character, but it´s official and a lot of people like it, another ones would be Goku, Vegeta and Freezer, when they are mostly just a palette swap, but if they didn´t exist and a mugen creator did that and called "God Goku" most of people will hate it, same with the yellow SNES Freezer, would be like a dumb thing just because seems like something lazy? (for example Blathazar could work on those a lot easier because they are mostly a blue hair Saiyan)

In other examples there are things that are not official and we could love, like the original God Orochi, I really dig that idea back then and still find it cool (original one, not the thousand edits out there)

So... what is your opinion about it... how do you know something is creative and fits or doesn´t fits the character? how to know something is cool and something is not? what are your standards about it? do you like those Kula clones? those Element guys? Have something like this ever stop you from adding something different to a character?
            Zorf Giudecca
Re: How far we can go with mugen characters edits?
#2  April 30, 2015, 06:22:13 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
Kikouken.

I like the crazy edits that add moves from different characters (for some reason), like Yabuki by ahuron.
#3  April 30, 2015, 06:24:47 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#4  April 30, 2015, 06:37:45 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
haha I know, but more like an opinion, not to destroy or thrash character edits
            Zorf Giudecca
#5  April 30, 2015, 12:16:36 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
Kikouken.

I like the crazy edits that add moves from different characters (for some reason), like Yabuki by ahuron.

ryu throwing sonic booms is old hat. shingo doing rasetsumaru's chest slicer, though
#6  May 01, 2015, 07:44:37 pm
  • Ya me dio cosa...
    • Mexico
Honestly I like.
It depends a lot of the creator... parody or lack of time. Sometimes the integration make some sense.

Sieger (Samurai Shadow) with Riot's Arms (Cyberbots)  make perfect sense in so many ways ;p
#7  May 01, 2015, 09:05:04 pm
  • For honor!
How far one can go with an edit really depends on the objective of the character. Like, if you're trying to do a legitimate take on say Ryu but you give him the psycho crusher, the maximum spider, Proton Cannon, Zipper Powers, and the Blanka shock it's probably not going to be very well received. It is expected that any additions you make to a serious character are to add to their established gameplay, not make it go all over the place.

Now if the Ryu in question has those moves but is not being delivered as a serious conversion of Ryu, say you add tacky palettes and name him "Ryu the Butcher Shitter" or something, some might have a laugh and it would be better received.

Then there's the alternate dimension or whatever kind of characters like Sula in which their reception is based solely on their creativity and how they play rather than who they once where.
Iroha stripped for me
#8  May 02, 2015, 02:20:54 am
  • GEE GEE
a character's appearance dramatically restricts what they can and can't do, even more so when they play a specific role in their game's universe. This universe that the original authors designed gave that character a signature, a set of rules that the character must follow.

So Scorpion from MK isn't gonna be shooting ice cubes at people or blowing kisses because it doesn't fit his signature that the authors created for him. he's an angry wraith thing seeking revenge. So finding a new way to rip out a heart would make more sense.
wat.