YesNoOk

Bardock Z2 (Inspired) (Read 125380 times)

Started by WekRiptor, October 28, 2015, 02:12:57 am
Share this topic:
Re: Bardock Z2 (Inspired)
#41  November 08, 2015, 03:55:45 am
  • Live with a burning passion!
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
I fixed it up a bit for you, my edit is on the right:

->

Look at the difference between yours and mine, and try to learn from it. Reference other video games for animations; The Z2 team does that in addition to creating custom animations, they look at pre-existing animations and reference it/use it for cross comparison, blah blah blah.

There is an article about Darkstalkers and the Twelve Principles of Animation, read it if you can. Also, if you don't have it, Photoshop CS2 is free and can be of use, for the layering capabilities. Lasso tool/transparency of layers are your friends when you want to make frames.

Since the Z2 style rips off takes inspiration from CvS/CPS3 (Street Fighter 3/JJBA/Red Earth)/CPS2 (Street Fighter Alpha/Marvel vs. Capcom), I suggest you look at their pre-existing animations as references.

You did a good job though, even I couldn't pull that off the first time I started spriting. :)

Thank you very much, and yes I briefly over viewed that 12 principles of animation before, though I should brush up on it. As for animation bases, for my medium punch and light punch (currently WIP) I used previous Z2 sprites ( Vegeta's legs and Goku's hair and arms) for the motion, though I could defiantly use some practice

Edit:
Stance is looking great now.

I hope from there he can move onto to other things, and make them with relative ease. :)

I also forgot to put this, but try to organize your project in Phases, like this:

I think its crucially important that his entire concept is together, before doing anything Sprite wise.

I usually list everything out, as so:

Idle
Idle turning
Idle to crouch

Crouch idle
Crouch turning
Crouch to idle

Jump up
Jump forward
Jump backward
Jump backwards
Jump forward dash
Jump backwards dash
Jump landing

Walk forward
Run forward
Walk backwards

Get hit (Idle)
Get hit (Crouch idle)
Get hit (Air)
spinning (Z2 animation)
Back breaker (Z2 animation)
Flipping (Z2 animation)
Running grip (Z2 animation)
Shocking
Midnight Bliss
Monkey transformation

Falling
ground bounce
Laying down
Getting up

Intro
win pose
Time over
Taunt

Idle weak punch
Idle medium punch
Idle strong punch
Idle close range punch

Idle weak kick
Idle medium kick
Idle strong kick
Idle close range kick

Idle crouch weak punch
Idle crouch medium punch
Idle crouch strong punch

Idle crouch weak kick
Idle crouch medium kick
Idle crouch strong kick

Running punch
Running kick
Air weak punch
Air medium punch
Air strong punch

Air weak kick
Air medium kick
Air strong kick

You get the idea. I hope this helps..! :)

Christ, you are just the biggest help for me, I can't thank you enough. Lists are like my fetish, so this helps me organize a schedule for doing this, again thank you

And all of you, thank you, defiantly one of the better communities of people I have had the pleasure to come across, I really appreciate all of your help and words.

Mod edit: Pretty much what Hatter said. Just be careful next time when posting.
Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:10:31 am by Zemilia
#42  November 08, 2015, 04:01:50 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I'm glad you appreciate the help man. :)

Just gonna give you a heads up for future instances, but double/triple posting isn't usually something you should do on a forum, remember to quote/modify your post when you want to make changes to your posts, as it usually saves you the trouble of double/triple posting, mate. ;)
This is a generic forum signature.
#43  November 09, 2015, 11:33:33 am
  • Staaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrssssssssss !
it is great to see this project active again ... I started Bardock long ago, but unfortunately I lost all my progress and I'm going to start all over after my project Biohazard, but the yield willingly :)

ps: you're doing a great job with these animations ;)
#44  November 13, 2015, 11:20:54 pm
  • Spriting takes so long! I'm decent at it though!
    • USA
    • nthndunham@gmail.com
Want me to try to add shading on that kick for you? The one form the old thread? Also the stance looks great!
EDIT: Oh so is that what happened?
Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:34:01 am by GOD984
#45  November 15, 2015, 03:13:14 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Sorry I have been gone for a bit, I have been quite sick so I am still recovering, while I appreciate the help GOD, I'd prefer to do this on my own. This is to hone my skills as a spriter.
#46  November 15, 2015, 03:16:17 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sorry I have been gone for a bit, I have been quite sick so I am still recovering,

Get well soon, mate. :)

On another note,

while I appreciate the help GOD, I'd prefer to do this on my own. This is to hone my skills as a spriter.

Good on you, man. I love the drive you have for this project (this reminds of when I started my own edit project. :D). With enough perseverance and practice, you'll get there.

Once you get enough anims, maybe Team Z2 will back your endeavor!! Who knows, all you got to do is plow forward! ^_^
This is a generic forum signature.
#47  November 15, 2015, 02:25:17 pm
    • USA
    • nthndunham@gmail.com
Sorry I have been gone for a bit, I have been quite sick so I am still recovering, while I appreciate the help GOD, I'd prefer to do this on my own. This is to hone my skills as a spriter.

Well what Zaitsu said, hope you get better, also okay. I understand.
Your bardock is looking good.
#48  November 30, 2015, 01:36:34 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Update!
  • I'm not dead
  • Bardock is getting work done, just some boring stuff like turning
If you want me to post the turning sprites just ask, it would be great to see what people think.

lui

#49  November 30, 2015, 10:13:49 am
    • USA
please do, i would like to see what you have done
#50  November 30, 2015, 11:18:24 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
#51  December 02, 2015, 05:28:00 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Alright! here it is:

There needs to be some tweaking to the speed, but I don't really know the specifics of turning sprites, so tell me what you think.
EDIT: also new palette
Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:37:25 am by WekRiptor

lui

#52  December 02, 2015, 05:32:10 am
    • USA
it needs to be a bit faster than that, it should take only one or 2 ticks
#53  December 02, 2015, 05:35:06 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Are the sprites themselves alright? this is kind of a rough draft tbh, so any nitpicks issues you have, please tell me.

lui

#54  December 02, 2015, 05:37:07 am
    • USA
actually, yeah, those are pretty good! nice work!
#55  December 02, 2015, 07:23:12 am
  • Not for sale
Whoooaaaa, his leg gets seriously detailed in the main frame.

To me... the animation looks a bit disjointed. It just doesn't look like he hits the right pose in transition. If you focus on his left leg (viewer right) it looks like his knee is buckling. The middle frame has him facing further than left than the final frame does.

#56  December 02, 2015, 01:45:58 pm
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Whoooaaaa, his leg gets seriously detailed in the main frame.

To me... the animation looks a bit disjointed. It just doesn't look like he hits the right pose in transition. If you focus on his left leg (viewer right) it looks like his knee is buckling. The middle frame has him facing further than left than the final frame does.

any ideas on a revised turning pose? or do I just need to tweak this one?
#57  December 02, 2015, 02:39:17 pm
  • Not for sale
Well, I mean... the main frame, the one with the highly detailed leg... it just, to me, seems completely out place. To me, it looks like the first frame in a punching animation, because he's actually turning further than he is in his neutral stance. His positioning should be more facing toward the viewer, since he's supposed to be rotating.  It's also worth noting that the green leg pads are placed improperly based on how his body is twisting.

It's a bit difficult to put in words, so perhaps this will help

His neutral frame (facing right), is about at 330°, assuming the viewer is at 270°.

The animation turning right to left, should go (not including softening frames):
330°>300°>240°>210°
In this instance, frame 3 is a mirror of frame 2 and frame 4 is a mirror of frame 1.

Right now, he's doing something more like this:
330°>180°>210°

There's only 3 degrees because you didn't mirror your middle frame in your animation, otherwise it would look like this:
330°>360°>180°>210°

Hopefully that makes sense. I've been up for over 24 hours and I've been drinking... so I did my best to convey the idea.
Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:43:34 pm by AugustAPC
#58  December 18, 2015, 10:29:36 pm
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Alright, now with finals over work on Bardock can continue!
#59  December 22, 2015, 01:59:09 am
    • USA
    • nthndunham@gmail.com
Sweet, nice beginning turning sprite, although what you might want to do is just make it that way you draw a sprite of him facing the screen, like what Balthazar did with goku.
#60  December 22, 2015, 02:45:54 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Do you guys think I should use the Z2 sprites as bases than edit or completely from scratch? I feel like I'm not up to snuff if I keep reusing sprites and editing them a little.