YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 410284 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#1301  September 27, 2016, 07:20:55 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Like I said, Johns is the one spearheading that plot and it's not going to really be paid off until he gets back from Hollywood, so you might as well just let it roll on in the background
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1302  October 05, 2016, 11:12:17 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
DC is reviving the Wildstorm imprint, and it'll be curated by Warren Ellis?!?!? That's pretty interesting!

It looks like the Wildstorm characters are being spun off into their own universe again; their merger into the DC universe just never really panned out. Well, except for Midnighter (and Apollo), I guess. It seems like a very safe bet that they're probably gonna remain in the DCU? The first issue of the Midnighter and Apollo miniseries just came out this week, and last year's Midnighter and Batman and Robin Eternal did a great job of making scary gay Batman) feel like he had a place in the DCU.

Nobody really read or remembers the nu52 Stormwatch with Martian Manhunter, or any of the other quickly cancelled nu52 Wildstorm books, but Midnighter? People loved that (and so did I), and the trade paperback is selling really well in bookstores. It's hard to imagine that after all that, he'd be sequestered off into the new Wildstorm. There's no way they'd cut that all off. And since Apollo is basically a package deal he'd stay in the DCU too!

This whole thing seems like the best case scenario for everyone involved. Wildstorm gets to be its own thing, shepherded by its one of its most beloved creators, and Wildstorm doesn't really need Midnighter or Apollo anyhow!

DC is doing some cool stuff next year to celebrate what would be Jack Kirby's 100th birthday; and they just released the details on their first big event: the (previously announced) "Kamandi Challenge". It's a 12 issue series, with each individual issue written and drawn by a separate creative team, and each issue explores a different location in the ruined, post-apocalyptic Earth that Kamandi calls home. The writer and artist for each issue were randomly paired up, and the creative teams all working independently of one another. It sounds really cool, and the creative lineup that resulted from the random selection is pretty damn neat:
Issue 1 by Dan Abnett and Dale Eaglesham
Issue 2 by Peter J. Tomasi and Neal Adams
Issue 3 by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner
Issue 4 by James Tynion and Carlos D’Anda
Issue 5 by Bill Willingham and Ivan Reis
Issue 6 by Steve Orlando and Philip Tan
Issue 7 by Marguerite Bennett and Dan Jurgens
Issue 8 by Keith Giffen and Steve Rude
Issue 9 by Tom King and Kevin Eastman
Issue 10 by Greg Pak and Joe Prado
Issue 11 by Rob Williams and Walter Simonson
Issue 12 by Gail Simone and Ryan Sook
I mean, except for Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. They always work together! So it's pretty weird to see them paired off here too!

Anyways, this project looks really promising and I'm glad that DC is pulling out all the stops to celebrate the King of comics, even though he's mostly known for his Marvel work. And speaking of Marvel, I wonder what their plans are for Kirby's 100th birthday?

*crickets*

... ah, well, I'm sure they're working on something. Right after they get around to putting out a book starring an LGBTQ character. Gonna happen any day now. Ayup. >.>
#1303  October 06, 2016, 12:30:30 am
    • USA
I have a sneaking suspicion that Palmiotti and Conner may have used their married wiles to rig the process

I completely forgot about the Kamandi challenge, that's one of those ideas that just sounds like it's going to be fun as heck

Unless Bennett and Jurgens kill each other, that would probably bring down the mood
This time
This time
#1304  October 07, 2016, 12:48:52 pm
  • Imagination is the 5th dimension
    • USA
    • sigil777music@gmail.com
I am so hyped for Warren Ellis return to Wildstorm. I can't remember being this excited for anything comic related since The Multiversity was given an actual release date and we saw preview art. His Stormwatch, The Authority, and ESPECIALLY Planetary were awesome, just jam packed with fantastic ideas and concepts. I even went back later and got his DV8 run, which was cool too. But Planetary is one of my all time favorite books, up there with Multiversity, the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, JLA: Rock of Ages, Morrison's Batman & Robin run, Johns GL run, Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night, All-Star Superman, Superman Beyond, Sandman (the original series & Overture), and a few others. Just so good, I had to make a list, ha.

I actually read that nu52 Stormwatch reboot, and hot damn did I HATE it. It was just terrible. They took everything that Ellis made interesting, took out the best bits, put the rest in a blender with a bunch of new, shit ideas, and dumped the results onto the comic pages. And yeah, they added Martian Manhunter and a bunch of other new characters I can barely remember (one was a swordsman or something? I dunno). I actually can't recall a comic I've hated more than that Stormwatch reboot, and I seriously mean that.

It's a shame, because I do think that Wildstorm could work in the DCU proper, but they have to do it right. Adding a seedy underbelly of secret government espionage and covert programs, along with all types of snowflake shaped multiversal shenanigans, could have added a rich and interesting element to the DCU, but that's not what they did, at all. They have used the bleed well, at least. Or Grant Morrison did, ha. I can't seem to stop using his name, I'm even starting to annoy myself.

The new character designs do not thrill me, but I await the actual books to judge. Really good news. I'm curious to see what Ellis has planned for WildCats, and if the multiverse comes into play at all (obviously I hope it does).
#1305  October 30, 2016, 07:37:05 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:42:22 am by Roman55
#1306  October 30, 2016, 07:46:07 am
    • USA
He's already part of the League proper. This new JLA book looks to be Batman and the Outsiders in all but name.
This time
This time
#1307  October 30, 2016, 07:56:17 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Ahh shoulda figured. I'm still playing a bit of catchup in regards to a few things Rebirth wise.
#1308  December 08, 2016, 08:02:21 am
    • USA
Even though the relaunched Batman is written by Tom King, it wasn't really connecting that much with me, in its first arc. Gotham and Gotham Girl were certainly fun, interesting takes on what Superman would look like if he was from Gotham, but it just felt kinda surface level, you know? The Omega Men, Vision, and Sheriff of Babylon all showed remarkable mastery of the medium (and in the case of the former two, great use of established an superhero universe to tell a unique and original story). And that first arc of Batman couldn't help but feel like it was coming up short compared to those three, even though it was very, very good superhero fun.

But man oh man, the current "I Am Suicide" storyline has got me good. It's just jaw-droppingly phenomenal:
Spoiler: spoilers for Batman #12 (click to see content)

Of course, going from David Finch on art in the first arc to Mike Janin obviously improves things by several orders of magnitude as well. This issue especially is just so fucking good; the layouts are insane!
#1309  February 09, 2017, 11:06:22 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Guess who just showed up in the latest issue of New Superman?

And this guy show up too.

#1310  February 10, 2017, 01:01:44 am
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
Is he supposed to have the same face?
#1311  February 11, 2017, 03:25:34 am
    • USA
for reference, the secret surprise guest in the newest issue of New Super-Man is
There's not many writers who I'd trust with handling something like this, but Gene Luen Yang is absolutely capable. And he's clearly had this idea in the works for a while.
#1312  February 24, 2017, 07:52:01 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
#1313  February 25, 2017, 05:24:02 am
    • USA
That's a really cool picture and all and I'm somewhat excited, but FUCK THAT LOOK AT THIS

King's been spending the better part of his tweets with "excerpts" from the "script".

I love everything about this dumb industry!
This time
This time
#1314  February 25, 2017, 06:39:06 am
    • USA
I'm also pretty excited about the Martian Manhunter vs. Marvin the Martian one, but obviously the crown jewel of these four absolutely insane DC/Looney Toon crossover comics is the Batman/Elmer Fudd one!

I can't really say the same about the Watchmen thing, though. It just feels so gross and ill-considered, and as much as I've loved King's run on Batman so far, I'm not sure I can stomach reading these issues. I guess, all things considered, DC's treatment of Watchmen and Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons ownership thereof isn't all that bad compared to the way both Marvel's and DC's comics are built on the constant, continued exploitation of the intellectual labor of hundreds of creators, whose creations make up said comics... but like, still. This is really fucking shitty.

also looks like Jay Garrick is coming back at the end of the Flash/Batman investigate Watchmen story. DC's been dropping hints about reintegrating the Justice Society characters back into the mainline DC universe, and I'm all for it.
#1315  February 26, 2017, 01:10:42 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That makes no sense. Isn't Jay Garrick in Earth-2?
#1316  February 27, 2017, 10:34:46 am
    • USA
Again, DC's been dropping hints about reintegrating the Justice Society characters back into the mainline DC universe, like things were before Flashpoint. Back then, there was a New Earth/Earth-0 version of Jay Garrick and the Justice Society, as well as an Earth-2 version of those same characters. Presumably the post-Flashpoint Earth-2 (the one with Val Zod, Thomas Wayne Batman, etc.) will continue to exist as it currently is.
#1317  February 27, 2017, 05:48:37 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That must mean that Pre-Flashpoint Wally West and Jay Garrick will be pivotal in the fight against Dr. Manhattan and Mr. Oz.
#1318  March 01, 2017, 02:19:22 am
    • USA
How are the DC characters gonna fight a dude who's always nude? They can't appear in the same panel as a giant blue penis! The executives would lose their minds!
#1319  March 01, 2017, 02:26:47 am
    • USA
You know, if increasingly ludicrous ways are drawn to cover up Doc Manhattan's junk this may all have been worth it. I want to see one-upmanship from the artists on a heretofore unseen scale! Make a challenge out of it! The Manhattan Challenge!

This time
This time
#1320  March 03, 2017, 12:33:12 am
    • USA
the full solicitations for the DC/Looney Toon crossovers have come out, and hoo boy, they are fucking insane:

there is of course the aforementioned Batman/Elmer Fudd, by Tom King and Lee Weeks:
After a chance meeting with billionaire Bruce Wayne, multi-millionaire Elmer Fudd’s obsession quickly escalates into stalking Batman through the dark alleys and high-class social settings of Gotham City.
Genius. But there's also:

Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam, by Jimmy Palmiotti and Mark Texeira (Yosemite Sam hires Hex as a body guard after he strikes it rich)

Legion of Super-Heroes/Bugs Bunny (!!!) by Sam Humphries, Tom Grummet, and Scott Hanna (the Legion tries to bring Superboy into the future but some how end up transporting Bugs Bunny instead)

Lobo/Road Runner by Bill Morrison and Kelley Jones (Wile E. Coyote travels to space and hires Lobo to kill the Roadrunner)

Martian Manhunter/Marvin the Martian, written by Steve Orlando and Frank Barberi and art by Aaron Lopresti (Manhunter tries to prevent Marvin from destroying the Earth, all the while conflicted by his own Martian identity)

Wonder Woman/Tazmanian Devil, by Tony Bedard and Barry Kitson (Wonder Woman fights Taz, with no other details given)