YesNoOk

DC Television Universe Discussion Thread (Read 268495 times)

Started by Retro Respecter, May 14, 2015, 11:21:37 pm
Share this topic:
Re: DC Television Universe Discussion Thread
#221  January 25, 2017, 12:58:51 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The Music Meister was a character invented for Batman: The Brave And The Bold, so the character is indelibly linked to Neil Patrick Harris, who played the character in his first (and so far only) appearance. So obviously, there's some pretty big roles to fill when trying to cast someone to play the character in the big Supergirl/Flash musical crossover.

I think they succeeded in that regard: Darren Criss (a Glee alum, just like Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin) will play Music Meister!!!
#222  February 04, 2017, 02:23:40 am
http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/03/black-lightning-cw-berlanti-pilot/
Black Lightning pilot picked up for CW, dad who gave up the costume has to pick it up again.
Expect crossings with everything else, whether it's another Earth but crossing over like Supergirl or directly in the same world - the description makes it fit right in with what Arrow tried to hint at some time ago (you know, before they did a big swerve left then right).

Oh, while I'm at it
Legends S2 is still going well, much better than S1, especially that last episode on the Legion of Doom. Watching Merlyn still getting treated like a weak ass shit (and even joking about it) was irritating as usual, and Damian's caricature of a big mean boss is annoying, but the interaction was pretty damn good, and holy shit the Black Flash scene with Thawne was fucking amazing. And then the very last scene was shit. The George Lucas episode before was good, but the "I don't know your films, but I guess you made such a massive impact in the life of these FUCKING LAME ASS SKINNY NERDS with four doctorates so think about it" getting hammered over and again was meant to be inspiring and yet it just sounded like a massive slap and spit in the face for probably anyone who watches this show, it was so incredibly patronizing and naively backhanded.
Apparently Arrow is still trying to stabilize itself from all its swerves left and right, it's kind of holding its head just above the water and trying to get a definitive Black Canary to play it all straight like the comics, see if that finally works out.
Flash is still great.
I don't follow Supergirl but what I've heard of it is still terrible. Except maybe lesbians I guess, but maybe not even that.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:38:30 am by Byakko
#223  February 04, 2017, 02:41:20 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Arrow started really strong, but the episodes since the return from the break have felt like it's backsliding again

Also, the revelation that the OC they made up to be the new Black Canary
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
is some shit right of the Dark Knight Rises
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#224  February 04, 2017, 02:58:12 am
For Arrow, the setup is good but it's still another excuse for Oliver to hate himself just because, no matter how ridiculous the bad guy is. The presentation is better, the team works better and they have good interaction thanks to diverse personalities, but then we go back to Black Canary and for some reason Oliver is hell bent on finding a replacement because I don't know the comics say Green Arrow has Black Canary so let's come up with random shit and just say that Oliver really wants it. I don't even want to know how they'll shoehorn a romantic relationship with a brand new girl literally picked off the street (compared to all that heavy handed build-up Laurel and Felicity got) because that's the way it's supposed to be. And the Diggle story is just another case of Terrible Recycled Random Plot.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:04:19 am by Byakko
#225  February 05, 2017, 01:21:22 am
    • USA
I don't follow Supergirl but what I've heard of it is still terrible. Except maybe lesbians I guess, but maybe not even that.
Supergirl is going really well, the move to The CW and resulting shakeup has really helped fine-tune things. As bad as losing Cat Grant was, it's forced the show to to narrow its focus to the DEO side of things (still quite a bit of civilian/CatCo stuff, but not quite the half and half balance the first season had), which has led to a more focused and better paced storytelling. I still find it to be the strongest of the CW shows, and the only one I watch closely and regularly.
#226  February 05, 2017, 02:10:47 am
I laughed the whole thing off back when they announced Jimmy becoming Guardian. I've seen bits like the one on another planet which seemed nice, and the relationships, dialogs etc. that I've seen seem to be a lot better than S1, but it still has ridiculous ideas.
#227  February 05, 2017, 02:58:54 am
    • USA
I checked out after Superman left. Maybe I'll binge it when it's done like I did the first, but the choice has been between it and Gotham and I choose Gotham.
This time
This time
#228  February 05, 2017, 03:13:50 am
Oh yeah, the Superman episodes... that reminds me, did they end up committing to making Lena Luthor a sincere good guy or evil just like the rest of them ? Her mom is the head of the alienist organization, right ?
Gotham's "Joker" ended up being absolutely amazing (despite the sheer stupidity of his presence, or in case it's not actually the Joker, the implication on the actual Joker being a pale imitation of him) and the Penguin/Riddler relationship drives the entire interest, those three actors are so good, but it's still a complete wreck on the storytelling, the world construction. Like, even the whole "Joker's face" nod to the comics, it was so fucking stupid how they brought it up, even though it ended up working well. Bruce is getting interesting on his own, and he has a great dynamic with Alfred (also great actors there) but they're just so disconnected from everything else.
It's kind of like Supergirl, there are some fucked up ideas that serve as the foundation, and then they try to wing it up as they go. Gotham has those great actors that keep the interest up, Supergirl seems kind of bland (Supergirl's hero speech on the red sun planet had nice inspiring intentions but the execution sounded so flat and boring, and the sister discovering herself only sounds like a schoolgirl having her first crush) and relies on a few shocks here and there to keep you in (Superman, White and Green Martians, lesbians, Winn's "red shirt" existential crisis).
Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:31:23 am by Byakko
#229  February 05, 2017, 03:31:33 am
    • USA
It's only when Jerome shows up that I remember how much I like the character so I'm glad they're keeping him alive in Arkham for the time being. I don't even care if he's the Joker or not at this point; I've completely come to terms with this show as an Elseworlds story that will eventually have a version of Batman in it.

I am hoping the Owl storyline converges the plot because everything has been completely disconnected. Gordon hasn't even really had a plot so much as he just shows up in other people's plots at this point.
This time
This time
Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:34:37 am by Speedpreacher
#230  February 05, 2017, 03:37:25 am
Yeah, and what the fuck is up with Gordon being so much of a big ball of angry for no reason. He's a terrible character, I suppose he's intended to be the link between all those storylines, but you just don't see it. He's just the walking deus ex that both causes and resolves the plot lines (everything about the virus thingy), when all he needs to be is the witness and the detective that sees the threads, not this "Rambo gone mental" bullshit.
Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:41:42 am by Byakko
#231  February 05, 2017, 03:47:40 am
    • USA
I think Falcone pleading with Gordon to bring his son in alive and Gordon blowing him away not five minutes later has to be one of the stupidest, funniest television moments of last year.

And then the only real lasting effect of it is that Thompkins is mad at him, and he just sort of grumbles "okay" in his growly voice.
This time
This time
#232  March 15, 2017, 06:57:57 am
    • USA

yes
#233  March 30, 2017, 07:29:17 pm
    • USA
first shot of Black Lightning from the upcoming show of the same name:

I think it looks pretty good?
#234  March 30, 2017, 08:47:46 pm
    • USA
Hmmm, a little too teched up for my tastes

Since they're going with the best version of the character (Dad Lightning) I would have liked something more understated like the lightning jacket and save the technicool for Thunder and Lightning
This time
This time
#235  April 27, 2017, 12:38:53 am
Flash 3x19
They started the season revealing the Rival's identity and teasing Alchemy because they wanted to be sure we'd know that hey, this isn't going to be another season with an evil speedster who's hiding his identity among Flash's friends and Flash is going to spend the season trying to find out the big bad's true identity
Guess how things have been going against Savitar
And of course, Flash's massive guilt trips and failed hero complex have been getting worse and worse. Jesus Christ, can't you just like the characters you write ?

Took a look out of curiosity and Supergirl still makes zero sense and Gotham is still a massive trainwreck that only shines through Penguin's acting, although Nygma's quirks seem to be more under control - just playing his character as a straight idiot.
Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:43:04 am by Byakko
#236  April 27, 2017, 01:01:50 am
    • USA
I liked last night's episode well enough, it felt hopeful with the resolution that even without Iris Barry would still go on

I'm also ready for them to go ahead and put him in the bright red costume now that they've made it

But I am good and goddamn over the mysterious speedster villain string-along

I don't care if it's future Barry, past Barry or Straw Barry
This time
This time
#237  April 27, 2017, 04:16:24 am
  • I must be allergic to money cos I never have it
3d rocks!
#238  May 03, 2017, 12:48:26 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Urgh... what a lame Savitar reveal
#239  May 16, 2017, 10:05:45 pm
  • L.E.O.N here o/
    • Brazil
The revelation was kind strange, when I watched  I just thought: No you did not said that, you used another intonation.
Black Lightning on the CW first trailer
#240  May 18, 2017, 09:50:00 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
First Trailer for Black Lightning