YesNoOk

Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021) (Read 588572 times)

Started by tunglashor, September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
Share this topic:
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 01/09/2013)
#301  July 15, 2018, 09:23:38 am
    • USA
@Taybear Well It doesn't seem to work with me.

#302  July 20, 2018, 06:10:19 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Sorry I haven't been around lately...

doesnt work with Jesuszilla's POTS Felicia
You're right, it doesn't work with the latest version of this character.  The problem is in the SFF file; some unexpected values are in there and it's confusing the program.  It looks as though Fighter Factory Studio isn't writing the expected values for certain fields (obviously Mugen isn't using these values or the character wouldn't work, but VSelect does).  It would be easy to fix but unfortunately I can't make changes currently, for reasons I won't bore you with.  In the meantime you can fix the problem by doing the following:
  • open Felicia in an older version of Fighter Factory (e.g. 3.0)
  • make some small change to a sprite ,e.g. change the X axis from 0 to 1 then back to 0 again
  • save the SFF
That should result in a SFF that VSelect can open.

Huh... deleting the VSelect backup folder completely fixed it.
Thanks~!
That's very odd, I don't know why that could possibly cause problems but I'm glad it worked for you.  I'll look into it some time and see if I can figure it out.

Has anyone been able to use this with Tatsu MM2 screenpack, every time I try to use vselect it just closes with this screenpack
I tried it and you're right, it doesn't work due to a silly bug in VSelect.  Until I'm able to fix it, you can get this screenpack working as follows:
  • open notepad (empty file) and press TAB, then Ctrl+A (select all) then Ctrl+C (copy).  Bear with me...!
  • open data/add004/system.def in notepad
  • press Ctrl+H (replace) then Ctrl+V (paste), then click Replace All
  • save the file, and it should then work in VSelect
(short version: the Tab characters in system.def are confusing VSelect so delete them!)
#303  July 26, 2018, 02:48:49 pm
  • Why,
Can youre put thinks that it can understand at which version Mugen that goes? Official and popular unofficial ones?
But it was sad Mugen was stoped now for ever?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#304  July 27, 2018, 12:26:09 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Can youre put thinks that it can understand at which version Mugen that goes? Official and popular unofficial ones?
Sorry, I don't follow you, can you rephrase your questions?
#305  July 31, 2018, 09:39:30 am
  • Why,

It seem "support" Win mugen and Mugen 1.0... but not orders over 10... ?

Although, that means two different exe?

To plans continue VSelect?
#306  September 28, 2018, 05:13:23 pm

Hi.
I got problems with the Mugen 1.1.0 M.I.C.A. Screenpack by Oldgamer. When i want to start it via V-Select it loads and then just shuts. So i've tried to move the Data Folder away, so i can start V-Select. It worked, but when i try to open the System.def afterwards it tells me, that the SFF File is not compatible.
I tried to do the steps you mentioned above, but doesn't work for me. Any clue, how i can fix this?

----
I fixed this btw.
If you guys got V-Select closing right after you start it, it is caused by some characters, you got in your char folder.
You kinda have to get them all out of the folder. V-Select should start then. Then add them back 1 by 1, and when you got a char that crashes V-Select, delete him.
Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:14:56 am by Odb718
#307  October 06, 2018, 09:39:14 am
okay something weird happenned to my V select

it froze up one day while i was updating my roster i have the mugen multiverse screen pack IDK what is wrong it shows the small icon that its starting up then nothing..
#308  July 23, 2021, 08:24:20 am
#309  July 23, 2021, 08:41:45 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I'm glad this project still exists, but I had to stop using it because  when I was building a roster, it started working.
And cannot launch anymore.

I don't know if the reason is a character I added to the game, or the actual number of character (limitation)

But no way to launch it anymore.

A shame, because this sofware was awesome!

EDIT : nevermind, I just noticed the last post before was 2 years ago.
#310  July 24, 2021, 12:25:41 am
I'm glad this project still exists, but I had to stop using it because  when I was building a roster, it started working.

I don't know if the reason is a character I added to the game, or the actual number of character (limitation)

a char with sffv2 will cause Vselect to crash, jz's felicia is an example of that.
Save it over in FF as sff1 and youre good to go.
#311  July 24, 2021, 10:48:43 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
@tunglashor, any chance for small update to your tool that would make it compatible with ikemen go? Here is a post that describes the problem:
https://github.com/Windblade-GR01/Ikemen-GO/issues/292#issuecomment-885426703
(ikemen go has motif path configuration in save/config.json, not data/mugen.cfg)
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'd be glad to make this change but unfortunately I'm not currently able to make updates to VSelect as I no longer have the necessary dev tools installed.  I'll try and find some time this weekend to see if I can get it set up again.  Long term I hope to rewrite it in something sensible like C# or something.

a char with sffv2 will cause Vselect to crash, jz's felicia is an example of that.
VSelect doesn't actually have a problem with sffv2, it specifically has a problem with sffv2 files generated by Fighter Factory Studio.  Unfortunately FF Studio writes one particular field incorrectly - Mugen doesn't care but VSelect does.  It's an easy fix if I can get the dev environment up and running again.  Until then, a workaround to keep the sff as v2 is to open it in Fighter Factory 3 (or any other tool) and resave it.

By the way @K4thos your linked post is inaccurate when you say VSelect doesn't support 1.1 SFFs, actually it supported these before Mugen 1.1 was officially released :P Looking into the issue with the Ikemen screenpack I see it's another weird bit of encoding by Fighter Factory - the PNGs in the SFF have been encoded with a Transparency chunk that assigns maximum transparency to every colour in the palette, causing VSelect to render them invisibly  >_<  Obviously Mugen ignores this chunk and so should VSelect.
Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:22:39 pm by tunglashor
#312  July 25, 2021, 12:39:56 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Good to see you again, I hope you make more updates for this tool in future!
#313  July 25, 2021, 06:17:12 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

Oh, thanks! I have to admit I cannot remember since when It started refuse to launch, but it's a big clue!

From your experience and tests, only this problem make it not launch?
#314  July 25, 2021, 06:42:09 pm
  • Why,
@tunglashor, any chance for small update to your tool that would make it compatible with ikemen go? Here is a post that describes the problem:
https://github.com/Windblade-GR01/Ikemen-GO/issues/292#issuecomment-885426703
(ikemen go has motif path configuration in save/config.json, not data/mugen.cfg)
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'd be glad to make this change but unfortunately I'm not currently able to make updates to VSelect as I no longer have the necessary dev tools installed.  I'll try and find some time this weekend to see if I can get it set up again.  Long term I hope to rewrite it in something sensible like C# or something.

VSelect doesn't actually have a problem with sffv2, it specifically has a problem with sffv2 files generated by Fighter Factory Studio.  Unfortunately FF Studio writes one particular field incorrectly - Mugen doesn't care but VSelect does.  It's an easy fix if I can get the dev environment up and running again.  Until then, a workaround to keep the sff as v2 is to open it in Fighter Factory 3 (or any other tool) and resave it.

By the way @K4thos your linked post is inaccurate when you say VSelect doesn't support 1.1 SFFs, actually it supported these before Mugen 1.1 was officially released :P (or at least I'm not aware of any incompatibility, aside from the FF Studio issue)

Well , then we get waiting when future get.
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 01/08/2021)
#315  August 02, 2021, 03:15:17 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
At long last, a new release :beamgoi:

I finally found the time to dust off the source code and get her up and running again. This is mainly a bugfix release to (hopefully) eliminate the crashes caused by characters encoded by Fighter Factory Studio. So if VSelect has been refusing to start since you added new characters, try this new version. If you still find characters that cause problems (or any other bugs), please let me know.

I've also made the change requested by @K4thos to add basic compatibility with Ikemen Go. If the program can't find a data/mugen.cfg file it will look for save/config.json and load the motif from there instead. No support yet for any of Ikemen's extra features but I'd be interested to look at this in future. Until then I hope this is a useful update :tipshat:
#316  August 02, 2021, 05:48:43 am
thank you very much, works great.
#317  August 02, 2021, 06:25:52 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
Whoa. Nice!
Thanks Tunglashor.
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
#318  August 02, 2021, 10:51:10 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
My pleasure, thank you for your work on Ikemen ^_^
#319  August 02, 2021, 11:08:25 pm
    • Morocco
Great to see this tool is still being developped,just quick suggestion.Is it possible to implement something that will allow to use multiple Vselect .exes for different mugen directories ? since i would like to have a seperate Vselect configured for each Screenpack/Build i got
#320  August 02, 2021, 11:40:10 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
You can do that already:
  • open VSelect and select Options from the File menu
  • on the Advanced tab tick the "use local options file" box and click OK
That should allow you to select a different Mugen exe/motif for each copy of VSelect. Let me know if you have any problems or that's not what you meant.