YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 557327 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Re: Doctor Who Thread
#401  July 19, 2018, 11:27:49 pm
I now realize I never actually heard her voice before. I did see Attack the Block though... Glad they're letting loose on the thicker accents, anyway.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#402  July 19, 2018, 11:36:53 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
DAYMN that accent!
#403  September 30, 2018, 02:16:06 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

I already like this new Doctor.  She's almost got a kind of Sylvester McCoy feel to her.  Can't wait for the premiere next week.
#404  October 21, 2018, 11:10:03 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Skipped a couple seasons but have come back for novelty purposes. Liking Jodie as the doctor. Somewhat similar to Tennant. Just hoping they drop down to 1 companion soon and that the one companion is bradley walsh. The other 2 are pointless filler to me. Stuff the bbcs " inclusive and ethnically diverse makeup" thing.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#405  October 22, 2018, 05:15:40 am
    • USA
Well, a lot of the classic Doctors had a crew of three companions.  They just had an easier time working them all in because they were working in terms of 4 to 6 part serials and not just single episodes.  It's still early in the season, plenty of time for them all to get more fleshed out.

I'm really enjoying the Thirteenth Doctor so far.  She's got this sort of scatterbrained way about her that's a lot of fun.  The new TARDIS is nice too; it's a very fantasy steampunk look in contrast with Twelve's academic aesthetic.
#406  October 28, 2018, 10:06:46 pm
Spiders from hell on a Sunday night, someone's not afraid of losing viewers. The Alien facehuggers on the Moon were acceptable, but these ones just hit a bit too close to home.
(also I hate that new theme song, it just hurts my ears)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:10:28 pm by Byakko
#407  November 24, 2019, 01:01:28 am

About time ! Early 2020. Didn't even hear anything about the filming.
#408  December 02, 2019, 09:48:42 pm
Slightly extended trailer, now it's new year's day. I had a feeling in the previous one, but now that we have a better view of that haircut, that's definitely Tesla there. We've never seen him in Doctor Who so far, have we ? About time.
#409  December 03, 2019, 12:06:11 am
    • USA
That reminds me that I need to go back and finish the last series.  Without any services that were streaming it it became kind of a pain to track down each episode as they were coming out.
#410  December 03, 2019, 06:00:48 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Same, haven’t been able to see her 1st season. Didn’t help that the last Capaldi season was very underwhelming. So the hype to find them hasn’t been there either
#411  January 02, 2020, 01:19:47 am
Oww, jumping right into things with this first episode. After the previous season trying to only bring new things, I didn't expect this to get there so fast.

edit - just noticed that guy makes a little o mouth right after saying his name like he spooked himself lol

edit for episode 2
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:02:09 am by Byakko
#412  January 07, 2020, 08:45:15 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Spoiler: (click to see content)
#413  January 07, 2020, 09:18:10 pm
What exactly was the plot?
Isn't that pretty much always the case with random Doctor Who villains like that ? Like the 2D creatures in the shrinking Cappaldi episode and that sort of things. I figured it was about introducing the new universe, but I wouldn't hold my breath over that plot point ever coming back. Just like the 2D guys. So yeah, business as usual with Doctor Who, it's just the villain creatures of the week. Better than the "humans were the villains all along" of the week from last season.
And yeah, the disguise bit was really weird. For a second I really thought they were about to drop a new face already.

edit for ep 5
Woohoo Jack's back ! Finally. I hope that wasn't just a gratuitous cameo and he'll be around again, at least for this season.
Another Doctor... I wondered for a moment if this Master is connected to her timeline instead of being connected to Thirteen, but he recognized the four beats signal so he's after Ten. Well, he could still be between Simm and Missy, but I don't know if they'd bother with that at this point.

edit again
So the official Youtube channel put this up

From his phrasing, now I heavily suspect he's not coming back anytime soon (maybe in the season finale but I'm not even sure). So now this gratuitous cameo is really feeling like one piece of what they've been doing so far this season : backpedal on the entire previous season by throwing everything they can from the classics to tell the fans "okay we fucked up the last season by trying hard to not bring anything back from before, but we get it, we love you, please watch us again, look at all the toys you love" but they're not actually doing anything with it.
So all that's left right now is see where this extra Doctor bit is going (and let's just disregard that they introduced a new Time Lady / someone else from Gallifrey only to kill her off immediately without any regeneration or whatever)
Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:39:18 pm by Byakko
#414  March 03, 2020, 01:05:12 am
Okay, why the hell are those people allowed to write anything ? I'm really glad we finally got some serious backstory for Gallifrey, but to introduce something big like that only to wipe out everything in the very same episode, that's literally the total opposite of how writing works. You introduce an idea, you make it grow in our mind, and then you make it explode. Starting the season with this garbage "everything you ever knew is a lie", not saying jack shit for the entire season, and then this ? These people should never be allowed to have a job in writing anything ever again.

I'm sure they thought they were very clever when they re-canonized those extra faces from that one old episode and called it an easter egg, but the correct way to write an easter egg like that would be to hint at it much sooner to make us think about it. That just felt "well duh".
Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:17:17 am by Byakko
#415  March 03, 2020, 02:39:20 am
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
Okay, why the hell are those people allowed to write anything ? I'm really glad we finally got some serious backstory for Gallifrey, but to introduce something big like that only to wipe out everything in the very same episode, that's literally the total opposite of how writing works. You introduce an idea, you make it grow in our mind, and then you make it explode. Starting the season with this garbage "everything you ever knew is a lie", not saying jack shit for the entire season, and then this ? These people should never be allowed to have a job in writing anything ever again.

I'm sure they thought they were very clever when they re-canonized those extra faces from that one old episode and called it an easter egg, but the correct way to write an easter egg like that would be to hint at it much sooner to make us think about it. That just felt "well duh".

This is coming from NU BBC, said Nu BBC who claimed that it would remake all of their shows with more political correctiveness, social inclusion and even sacrifice humor to make it progressive in a few interviews.
They would Remove all of Mr. Bean, Monty Python and Blackadder's original stuff after they died, only to remake them and shove their new un-lucrative shitshow than write something good.

also you are forbidden to spew any critic against the new doctor, because she is perfect, and if you do it, we will find you and cancel you on twitter and facebook, also we will label you an Incel facist nazi manxplaining Toxic male.

its a joke but is the sad reality out of it, people hated, the audience is record all low this new season for making things worse than the previous one, introducing someone with zero charisma or even making Dr Who related episodes, and now this, everything from the 1st season until now is gone, it didn't gained even a parallel timeline treatment, is all gone, there is only fem doctor, and you will like it by force.
#416  January 02, 2021, 03:55:49 am
Wow, that was a LOT of time spent on talks about nostalgia and feeling of abandonment and saying goodbye. Feels a little bit condescending given the circumstances of the show... Like, are you self-aware and parodying yourself, are you trying to tell us something about your future, are you just mocking your viewers, was it just 30 minutes of padding to make it an hour ? It's weird.

I didn't catch where this "extra Tardis" came from ?
Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:07:01 am by Byakko
#417  August 11, 2021, 03:08:58 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I come a bit late with the news, but since the last post was 7 months ago...

Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall leave DW in 2022

Maybe after that I could see Doctor Who again... sorry, I couldn't stand Chibnall era nor Thirteen's companions, I barely saw the Season 11 and I stopped there. Maybe I could watch the new Master, but I'm not sure...

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#418  August 11, 2021, 09:10:20 am
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Chris Chibnall leave DW in 2022

Thank god. Maybe we'll finally get some well written episodes again that dont retcon the fuck out of the main character.

Shame about Jodie though. She can be a good actress. Just not with those scripts.

I barely saw the Season 11 and I stopped there. Maybe I could watch the new Master, but I'm not sure...

The new Master is just the Joker, there's no point to watching him. And the plots he's involved with are just awful.

Skip imo.
#419  August 11, 2021, 11:17:57 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Missy best Master.

Really wasn't a fan of the new Doctor. The casual clothes making her blend in with everyone else, the rambling about things we the viewer have never witnessed, the inability to actually take her seriously when she was trying to be, etc. Genuinely, she never really stood out. It's like if you took David Tennant—probably one of the best Doctors—and overdid the wacky whimsical woohoo to an obnoxious level while then expecting us to suddenly take her very seriously.

And yeah, it wasn't entirely on her either; the episodes themselves were almost entirely terribly written. So much time wasted focusing on the companions who seldom contribute anything to the plot and almost feel like they exist solely to fill a quota. Sometimes you can have a larger main cast and manage to focus enough time on them without it falling to pieces, but Doctor Who just couldn't do that. If you want an example of a show that did this well, see Sarah Jane Adventures (ironic since it's under the same franchise); female lead, multiple companions who are likeable characters and actually do things, and good plots.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#420  August 11, 2021, 12:28:22 pm