YesNoOk

Sony Stuff News Thread (Read 314471 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, April 22, 2013, 09:55:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Sony Stuff News Thread
#441  April 17, 2019, 06:16:58 am
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
Playstation 5 is not coming out this year (possibly next year), and it will be powered by a Ryzen Zen 2 CPU with a Navi GPU. A much needed upgraded from the horrible jaguar architecture.
also, since its an X86 CPU it will be backward-compatible with PS4 games.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#442  May 09, 2019, 11:20:10 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Bumping this topic to say that a Playstation State of Play is happening today 5 PM central (my timeframe).
#443  May 10, 2019, 01:34:17 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com

It did get better by the looks of things. Plus us gamers can’t get enough remakes and remasters am I right fellas.
#444  June 11, 2020, 01:15:30 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190

Be sure to set your reminders on the future of gaming is upon us!
Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:14:00 pm by videoman
#445  June 11, 2020, 08:01:53 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
Well after many ppl thought my autistic self killed this thread, you came to revive it. Well this thread is about Sony after all.
#446  June 16, 2020, 11:32:58 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
Here's all the info so far on PS5 on Reddit.

his is a collection of the information we have so far on the PlayStation 5.
   Index   
1. Case design and Cooling system   5. The SSD, Flash controller and I/O COMPLEX   9. HDMI, USB ports and others
2. Titles confirmed for PS5   6. CPU and GPU   10. Peripherals
3. Physical Media   7. Tempest Engine (Audio)   11. PlayStation sizes
4. Backwards Compatibility   8. New controller   12. Footnotes

1. Case design and Cooling system

The PS5 uses a black/white futuristic design. There is currently no confirmation that there will be any other color options on launch, but for the future this is to be expected. With its size it will be the largest of the PlayStation family. Like previous models, it can be set up both horizontal and vertical.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ui66YNN

There will be 2 models at launch, the “regular” PS5 and a PS5 Digital Edition. The digital model has no 4K Blu-ray drive, and is therefore sleeker than the regular PS5. There is no other difference between them.

Before the final reveal, patents and leaks of the developers’ kit gave an insight in Sony’s work on creating a new innovative cooling solution to address the noise/heating issues from the cooling system of the PS4/PS4 Pro. It’s still unknown how exactly the new cooling system works. For this we need to wait for the tear-down video for more information.

2. Titles confirmed for PS5:

For a list of all confirmed titles, see Wikipedia.

3. Physical Media

Physical PS5 games will be distributed on 4K Blu-Ray discs called PS5 game discs with up to 100GB of data. The Digital Edition does not have a 4K Blu-Ray drive to use these discs and will be dependent on games to be purchased from the PS Store (or via code).

4. Backwards Compatibility

The PS5 is fully compatible with PSVR.

The overwhelming majority of the PS4 4000+ titles will be playable on the PS5*. In March they already tested the top 100 PS4 titles.

You can play together with PS4 users online.

Save games can already be transferred between consoles, so it’s safe to assume this will work exactly the same for PS5. Meaning through PS Plus (cloud saves) or USB drive.

Sony has not yet confirmed if the PS5 will or will not be BC with PS1/PS2/PS3 games. It’s assumed the PS5 will not be BC with PS1/PS2/PS3 games.

*There is no reason to think this applies only to discs or digital versions. For disc games, you do need the PS5 with a blu-ray drive

5. The SSD, Flash controller and I/O COMPLEX

The biggest request from developers for the PS5 was a fast SSD. The engineering team found that a very fast SSD can mean a lot of difference in game performance, both graphic fidelity and game design, so not just loading times. For this reason, they invested a lot in a fast SSD and dedicated hardware to eliminate all the I/O bottlenecks.

The SSD is a custom 12 chip/channel M.2 design, here they added 6 priority levels in the custom flash controller instead of the maximum of 2 for regular M.2 drives. The SSD has 5.5GB/s Raw data transfer speed.

The I/O is done completely by dedicated hardware, nothing is using any CPU power. Most notable are:

The Hardware decompressor which allows game data to be loaded from the SSD at 22GB/s, with 8-9 GB/s being the norm. Which otherwise would require about 8-9 Zen cores of CPU power.

Coherency engines to optimize caching.

GPU cache scrubbers, that clean up cached data on the GPU itself to improve efficiency and ensure the cache isn't filled with redundant data.

Co-processor for SSD input-output bypassing file read bottlenecks.

Another co-processor for memory mapping.

On chip SRAM for faster access to cached memory.

Dedicated DMA (direct memory access controller further reducing data-streaming bottlenecks.

To optimize price vs performance, they used 1 chip for each of the 12 channels it has. So, 12 times 512Gbit (chip size) equals 6144Gbit, and that divided by 8 (bits to bytes) equals 768GiB which equals 825GB (824.6GB). Information about GB and GiB here.

The SSD will make the use of duplicating assets for streaming no longer necessary, this combined with the use of Kraken as the default compression will reduce the install size of games relatively speaking.

There is a PCIE 4.0 M.2 port inside the PS5 for storage expansion. However, an SSD to be used in the PS5 will require to be much faster than 5.5 GB/s to compensate for the lack of 6 priority levels in PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD’s. Sony will be making a list of drives compatible with PS5.

6. CPU and GPU

The CPU has 8 Zen 2 cores with variable frequencies up to 3.5Ghz with SMT, and shares it’s power budget with the GPU via AMD’s SmartShift.

The GPU uses a customized GPU from AMD based on the RDNA2 architecture, and so supports the RDNA2 features*. It has 36 Compute Units (CU), the amount of Render Output Units (ROP’s) or cache size is unknown. The GPU is clocked at a max 2.23Ghz clock rate. More info how the clock rate works here.

The PS5 has a unified memory architecture using 16GB of GDDR6 RAM memory, with a Bandwidth of 448GB/s.

Keeping in mind the minimum CU’s for the easiest BC and cost efficiency, Sony has opted for a lower CU count (36 exactly like the PS4 Pro) but higher clock speed. This because the clock speed effects both the CU’s, ROP’s (rasterization) and cache speeds. RDNA1 based GPU’s have has seen better performance with higher clock speeds than CU’s, for more info see my post here.

*Not every RDNA2 function has been specifically confirmed, for example VRS. They have confirmed RayTracing and the programmable Geometry Engine.

7. Tempest Engine (Audio)

It seems that Sony has chosen not to use/license existing technologies such as Dolby Atmos for 3D audio in games. This because of the limited amount of sound sources supported. Although they might still support it for 4K Blu-Ray playback.

For 3D audio in games Sony has created the Tempest Engine which supports ray traced 3D audio with HRTF support.

The PS5 will launch with 5 standard HRTF profiles, and there looking for a way to create you own profile based on your ears. A way they might do this, is use a camera to make a recording of your ears.

It is best used with headphones, but they already support stereo speakers for 1 person/location. They will be expanding support to surround sound systems.

The chip powering the Tempest Engine, uses a customized CU. Which was modified in such a way as to make it very close to the SPU’s in the Cell processor used in the PlayStation 3.

8. New controller

The new controller for the PS5 is called the DualSense controller. It features a new design and new features like haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and a built-in microphone array. The share button has been replaced with the “Create” button.

The DualSense charges via USB-C, with the port located on top of the controller or “wirelessly” with the connectors on the bottom.

It has a microphone mute button beneath the PlayStation logo/home button and will still have a built-in 3.5 mm headphone jack.

We have not yet seen the back of the controller accurately, it seems the controller will not be featuring back paddles. The bottom is partially in view here.

9. HDMI, USB ports and others
Confirmed Ports   Information
1 x HDMI 2.1   Supports up to 8K, up to120hz and VRR.
1 x USB 3.x type A ports   On the front side Explanation on USB 3.X Generations here.
1 x USB 3.x type C port   Front side

The PS5 does not have an analog audio/video output, there is however a 3.5mm audio Jack in the DualSense controller.

No details are known for the I/O on the rear side of the PS5, so there are no details yet for additional USB ports, Ethernet, TOSLINK (optical audio), and the Auxiliary port (used for the PS4 Camera).

There is also no information on what WiFi and Bluetooth version the PS5 will support.

10. Peripherals

The PS5 will be able to use external HDD/SSD’s for PS4 games and storage expansion, PS5 games however will need to be transferred to an internal SSD to play.

Sony has announced new wireless headphones called the Pulse 3D Wireless Headset, a new Camera for the PS5, dual "wireless" controller charger and a new media remote. There is no information on the exact specifications of this new HD Camera for the PS5, or if it will be required for PSVR.

It isn’t known which PS4 peripherals besides PSVR are compatible, but for PSVR to work, the DualShock 4 as the new DualSense controller has no light bar for the camera to track. The Move controllers and Aim controllers are also expected to work.

11. PlayStation sizes:
Console   Dimensions w × h × l   Volume*
PS5   (370 x 90 x 380 mm)**   (12.7 L)**
PS3   274 x 99 x 325 mm   8.82 L
PS3 Slim   290 x 66 x 290 mm   5.55 L
PS4 Pro   295 × 55 × 327 mm   5.31 L
PS4   275 x 53 x 305 mm   4.45 L
PS2   178 x 79 x 302 mm   4.25 L
PS3 Super Slim   230 x 60 x 290 mm   4.00 L
PS4 Slim   265 × 39 × 288 mm   2.98 L
PlayStation   185 x 45 x 260 mm   2.16 L
PS One   144 x 38 x 193 mm   1.06 L
PS2 Slim   152 x 28 x 230 mm   0.98 L

https://i.redd.it/zttaoq9tph451.png

*calculations do not take the shape into account, here the 3 dimensions are calculated as a rectangular box.

**Dimensions of the PS5 are deduced roughly from available pictures and guesses, and therefore not accurate.

12. Footnotes:

There is no word on pricing yet, or the difference in price between the regular and digital edition

The exact release date is unknown, so far Sony has said: Holiday 2020

The PS5 has a complete overhaul of the user interface, but very little is known how this looks like

Astro's Playroom will be installed by default.

There are a few assumptions, when I did, it is an extremely likely one

Sources:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/?ref-cat=254013

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/04/07/introducing-dualsense-the-new-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/tech-specs/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-the-mark-cerny-tech-deep-dive

https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-mark-cerny-explains-tempest-engine-for-3d-audio/

CNET for dimensions
#447  June 20, 2020, 06:23:25 pm
    • Germany
So Last of Us 2 is out, I saw the early spoilers, and now I watched the story of youtube and I'm realy disappointed now. =/

How do you guys think about the game?

Also Metacritic page for this game is interessting to... "Critics" Praising it like it is the best thing since sliced bread, while everyone else seems to mostly dislike it.
#448  June 21, 2020, 01:00:18 am
  • Never give up
I started watching one of my favorite streamers play it and then watched the ending on youtube.

I wanted to get it, but then I seen what happened to one of the major characters and didn't like it. I'm also not a fan of the new playable character.

The story just went in a direction that I have no interest in. The revenge stuff.

Well at least the first one was good.
#449  June 25, 2020, 01:00:37 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA

PS5  trailer in 4K 60fps.
#450  July 31, 2020, 01:32:05 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA

It is a documentary focused on Sony PlayStation 1,2,3,4 and 5. It's rise, it's fall, and It's rise again.
#451  August 26, 2020, 04:48:58 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
#452  August 26, 2020, 05:19:38 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
everyone has probabbly seen it by now
#453  September 12, 2020, 04:56:23 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:59:34 pm by videoman
#454  September 16, 2020, 11:23:16 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
#455  September 17, 2020, 02:56:25 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Quelle surprise.
#456  September 17, 2020, 04:26:35 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
#457  October 07, 2020, 03:09:23 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
#458  October 08, 2020, 06:41:36 pm
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA

Holy shit, it looks a lot more normal without those taco shells attached to it.
#459  March 03, 2021, 12:12:47 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares