YesNoOk

Thoughts on making already existing characters (Read 13189 times)

Started by Yuko, May 25, 2019, 07:44:54 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Thoughts on making already existing characters
#21  June 09, 2019, 10:24:57 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Yeah. I went looking after as well. However i bet a couple can be done better.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#22  June 09, 2019, 08:33:12 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Also, there's a lot of obscure fighting games (or even some relatively famous) that only have 1 version for MUGEN, and sometimes, not even a one finished (Fuuma from AODK was made by Yoshi-OK and it's pretty unfinished, for example). So yeah, the field is wery wide to pick up a character and make it :P

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#23  June 10, 2019, 08:39:39 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Daraku Tenshi, really? XGargoyle basically gave us access to all the assets anyone needed down to hit boxes, but I guess he's the only one who cares enough.

I figure a lot of characters haven't been made for two reasons: no one who has decent conversion ability likes the game enough to dissect it or the game is such trash that it's not worth it, even for the sake of conversion.

I mean, has anyone done the Mario from Dong Dong Never Die?
Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:54:08 am by Bannana
#24  June 10, 2019, 09:06:19 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Daraku Tenshi, really? XGargoyle basically gave us access to all the assets anyone needed down to hit boxes, but I guess he's the only one who cares enough.

I figure a lot of characters haven't been made for two reasons: no one who has decent conversion ability likes the game enough to dissect it or the game is such trash that it's not worth it, even for the sake of conversion.

I mean, has anyone done the Mario from Dong Dong Never Die?
Someone was working on it, but it never came to light apparently
#25  June 28, 2019, 10:57:08 am
Making exitsing characters seems pointless, but at the same time, you make your own version and perhaps it's better than the previous character. Not every character has to be the same way as the original gameplay.

In conclusion, it keeps Mugen alive at least.
#26  September 21, 2020, 02:10:47 am
    • USA
I personally feel like making characters that have already been made is very much worthwhile. There are dozens upon dozens of characters whom, while they have been made, could be done much better, thanks to things like TFGAF, and there is also the ability to put characters in different styles or otherwise put one's own spin upon them. They are also a good way for creators in general to get started with character creation, as there will not be as much pressure as with something original or something without a conversion. Even then, there are still thousands of games with no worthwhile conversions, if any at all, and could potentially be explored, as seen with creators such as MelvannaInChains. I'm completely fine with converting existing characters.
#27  September 21, 2020, 05:33:07 pm
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
It depends.
If you are planning to make a source accurate version of it when a good one already exist, it would be a little bit pointless.
But if you plan to add your own twist to it (Even if small) then there is not problem in making it.
Because what you are making is unique in your own way.
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
#28  September 21, 2020, 05:41:30 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
please dont kill me guys...but if i see someone made a good character i just think of something else. IMO, mugen really thrives when there is variety. i get that KOF, SF, SS, MK, etc are super popular...but theres a special kind of joy when its someone totally new...and it also makes the overall MUGEN roster grow. its not so much of a fantasy if there is 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ryus.  but at the end of the day, do u. :)
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#29  September 21, 2020, 06:13:18 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
At the end of the day MUGEN is most fun when you make whatever YOU want.

I’d get no joy out of this shindig if I was told “There’s already enough Dans so you can’t make your own.” Make whatever you want and it’ll attract the people who want what you made. :)
#30  September 21, 2020, 07:00:29 pm
  • Indeed
Should a painter renounce to paint a certain landscape because someone else already made a painting of it?