YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122234 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#41  June 12, 2019, 09:52:06 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
It's very likely that any Pokémon with an Ice-type move is outsped by Mega Salamance, which in turn means it's probably already dead before it gets a chance to use it.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#42  June 12, 2019, 09:57:45 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Just use an ice type move bro cmon bro he’s balanced I swear bro
#43  June 12, 2019, 10:01:13 pm
    • Brazil
The ammount of knowledge shown by you is already limited when you think you actually need an ice type to use an ice type move. Thanks for proving me right. Now, if we can get back to the actual topic, was there any hint or comment about the evil team present in this game? I have yet to see any hint at that.
Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:07:59 pm by Macaulyn97
#44  June 12, 2019, 11:46:56 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I never once said you needed an Ice-type; I specifically only said Ice-type move. Greninja is probably the most likely user of Ice Beam that can outspeed Mega Salamence.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#45  June 13, 2019, 12:49:43 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
My take on the issue of Pokemon being left out for the game? I'm willing to bet that, with the list of Pokemon becoming so large by now, that they probably don't have enough time nor resources to animate all 800+ Pokemon and develop the game at the same time to a reasonable degree. And, to be honest, I am surprised that they're waiting this long to trim the fat because I do think that the list is getting real big. I know people are going to be upset at this decision, but I want to know how many people are going to miss those dime a dozen fillers whose only role is to provide an endless supply of Pokemon to beat up for exp. and to fill up the belts of the grunts of whatever evil gang we need to stop this time.

Besides, I'm thinking that all the Pokemon will be in by the time the third game and whatever remakes are released.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#46  June 13, 2019, 01:32:33 am
    • Brazil
I'm willing to bet that, with the list of Pokemon becoming so large by now, that they probably don't have enough time nor resources to animate all 800+ Pokemon
All old Pokémon are using the same model and animations, in fact, they've been doing so ever since X/Y, so you lost your bet, that couldn't be the issue.

#47  June 13, 2019, 01:35:19 am
  • For honor!

Mega Salamence can't take a bit of snow on his nose and you say he is unbalanced? You must be joking.
Ho-Oh can't take rocks especially of the stealth variety and that thing is still hella not ok. Deoxys in most forms literally can't take anything and is still not even remotely ok. Trust us, Mega Salamence was not even remotely balanced in a non-vgc environment.

But yeah, I'm not freaking out because it's a matter of when rather than if. They're going to use "Poke'mon Gun Version now with a national poke'dex! You can journey with all of your favorite poke'mon now!" as a big selling point for a later product. Which is why I'm waiting for that later product than purchasing this upcoming one for the time being.
Iroha stripped for me
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:38:41 am by Alpaca-San
#48  June 13, 2019, 02:04:37 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Mega Kangaskhan doesn't die easily to one type.

No but everything else dies easily to 2 Seismic Tosses/Crunches/Returns coming from something that is both reasonably bulky AND has a decent speed tier. Honestly, the brokenness of Mega Kangaskhan needs no introduction, even with the nerfs it got in Gen 7 (actually, if anything, the nerf inadvertently made it even more broken because now it can actually afford to run defensive investment and just spam Seismic Toss all day).

And please don't get me started on Mega Rayquaza.
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:19:12 am by Ricepigeon
#49  June 13, 2019, 02:19:15 am
  • For honor!
Oh don't worry Mega Rayquaza is no longer going to be a factor until Poke'mon Gun Version.
Iroha stripped for me
#50  June 13, 2019, 02:45:39 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I'm willing to bet that, with the list of Pokemon becoming so large by now, that they probably don't have enough time nor resources to animate all 800+ Pokemon
All old Pokémon are using the same model and animations, in fact, they've been doing so ever since X/Y, so you lost your bet, that couldn't be the issue.
How would you know that the models are the same? For all we know, they could have been using upgraded models that looks like the old ones but are technically better under the hood.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#51  June 13, 2019, 02:57:23 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
...So the same model, then.  The whole deal with the saturated colored models they started with in X and Y was they were future-proofed, made for much bigger hardware down the line like we're at now, and they would downscale the quality for the 3DS games as needed.  Of what's been seen so far of the Pokémon that do manage to return from previous gens in here, they're clearly just that, the same models.

Gotta say, the more I look into this nonsense the more I'm looking to withdraw my pre-order and turn that money over to Doom 5.  Don't play Pokémon for the graphic quality ever since they left 2D and Ken's artwork for the series has progressively changed over the years, I'm interesting in the monsters themselves, messing around with what's new then seeing how far I can get with favorites that I just personally prefer.  Shiny hunting some of them if they look nice, regardless of their competitive usage.  And they intend to make this a standardized rule going forward?  Might as well gone cold turkey like with the jump to GBA instead of now hoping your favorites were lucky enough.  People seemed to like that well-enough with Black and White.
#52  June 13, 2019, 03:13:51 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Look, I'm just merely offering a suggestion on why the next Pokemon games have a shortened roster than before. I could be completely wrong, or I could be completely right. We won't know that until much later, if we ever get that reason. So we are all speculating at this point in time.

Right now, I'm in the wait and see mode for this new information about the limited list of Pokemon. It could either be a disaster like people here and everywhere else has discribed, or it could be a huge nothing burger and we all had gotten worked up for nothing. I refuse to be a part of this potentially-unjustified group panic attack, so I'm not going to comment on this particular subject until more information has been given.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#53  June 13, 2019, 03:21:42 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say that I actually totally approve of the decision to not waste who knows how many hundreds of man hours and development resources just to once again port the exact same things they've been doing for the last 25 years just because "gotta catch 'em all" has been drilled into the collective unconscious as a requirement and not a suggestion.

If they're going to make the jump from handheld to full console, I'd actually much rather see development time get put into evolving the core gameplay and design in new ways.  If the price for that is that I won't be able to play with the ice cream cone or the pile of scrap metal or the literal bag of garbage pokemon, I guess I'll just have to find some way to soldier on.
#54  June 13, 2019, 03:41:36 am
    • Brazil
I'd actually much rather see development time get put into evolving the core gameplay and design in new ways.
When we will see that, then? I see nothing that spectacularly different, the models and animations, like I said, are the same, the new "mechanic" is literally existing Pokémon becoming bigger, and even the character models are similar to those before. What exactly was so different that they needed to cut what people actually want? So far, they have shown NOTHING truly new and we lost a bunch of Pokémon in addition to that.
#55  June 13, 2019, 03:56:10 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
A fully explorable open-world environment with wild pokemon walking around out in the open to interact with isn't different enough?  And multiplayer raid battles?   I'm way more excited about stuff like that than I would be if they just came out and said "Good news everyone, it's the exact same game as the last 8 times but at least we made sure that fucking Pineco is in it."

The game's not even out for months, they have plenty of time to announce new stuff.  We've seen a teaser, not the full GDD.
#56  June 13, 2019, 04:00:47 am
    • Brazil
A fully explorable open-world environment with wild pokemon walking around out in the open to interact with isn't different enough?
No, because that was in Let's Go, so its nothing new.

And multiplayer raid battles?
Not a big enough of a deal to justify removing all old Pokémon. Its literally a slightly different way of battling, just like rotation battles in Gen 5.
#57  June 13, 2019, 04:05:20 am
    • USA
Not for nothing, but yeah, the one real new core mechanic they added was by combining the two previous ones, Megas and Z-Moves, give the power boost to all four moves for three turns, cut out the cool new designs for form changes that came with Mega for increasing length and width by x3 and calling it a day.  The wandering Pokémon?  From Let's Go. (And a mechanic I can't grasp why people love?  It removes the surprise.  I'd much rather a stat evaluator while fighting instead)  The big open map isn't exactly new, it's just a blank open map from numerous other JRPGs.  And to a much more limited extent, done already in Pokémon in XD too.  Combat hasn't changed for the majority like it was Coliseum or something, its just lessened by the lower number of combatants.  At most there's raids, which I guess is cool, until broken a month into the game's lifespan.  If there WAS some form of monumental core gameplay upgrade, then I'd be inclined to....well, not agree, outright losing anyone instead of improving upon them isn't acceptable for me, but inclined to be more in favor that we got something out of it.

And while I'm not exactly in their programming seat or even their field of work, I'm left to imagine that when they're reusing the same assets, for the same form of gameplay, and reusing animations directly lifted from previous titles, it's not that egregious of a timeframe to impose on that total list of monsters.  Not "nothing to it", but they're not exactly starting from scratch.

So yeah, I would want Pineco in if it is what's been shown so far.  But you are correct, they still have plenty of time to show the actuality of the game.  But god does this sour its initial appearances for me.
#58  June 13, 2019, 04:06:15 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Not big enough of a deal? They'd have to render giant versions of all 800+ pokemon though.
#59  June 13, 2019, 04:10:50 am
    • USA
Which would be more impressive, if they weren't already cartoony looking models not big on detailed textures to begin with, so not exactly like upscaling the models from, say, Pokken.  Most of everyone's bodies are still a flat-colored texture across them, now with better lighting I suppose.
#60  June 13, 2019, 04:16:04 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I didnt see your reply, I was replying to the other guy. Regardless of whether they have the capability to do it, they are not, probably for time/budget reasons.