YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122161 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#61  June 13, 2019, 04:23:12 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I mean, I'm not gonna beat around the bush here.  From my point of view this all just looks like the internet's usual outrage over nothing.  Let's be brutally honest:  There's what, 800+ pokemon by now?  With more new ones on the way?  I'm willing to bet money that out of those 800 pokemon, every single player has at bare minimum 500-600 of them that they do not give a soft-boiled shit about.  Nobody carries the same investment for each and every single pokemon.  If they didn't announce this and just left, say, 100 pokemon out of the base game without telling anyone I bet it'd be months before anyone even noticed.

It is unquestionably not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.  Eventually Pokemon was always going to grow too big to keep including everything in every game.  They're trimming the fat instead of wasting time, money, and resources on content that they already know that no player was ever going to bother with anyway, and I don't see why that's being viewed as a negative.
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:33:51 am by Person Man
#62  June 13, 2019, 04:35:24 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Because besides the whole concept you joked about before being the game's core "goal" is to collect everyone, they've actively pushed for the compatibility to preserve transfers not only between all the gens thus far since gen 3, they've pushed it as a selling point on the downloads of the first two gens that got cut out of the loop with their initial releases.  They put the effort into making it a big deal, so when they go back on it, of course they would be called out on it.

And evidently, that fat being trimmed was someone's favorite that they've been letting people use without issue until this point.  I trust just as much you imagine no one would notice that people would still be at arms if it was a sudden surprise at release that hey, you like Dragonite?  Sucks to be you.
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:38:41 am by Long John Killer
#63  June 13, 2019, 04:46:32 am
  • For honor!
Iroha stripped for me
#64  June 13, 2019, 05:58:04 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
hey people.! anybody know if there will be classic pokemon in this game like The 150 Original Pokemon??
#65  June 13, 2019, 06:00:19 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Not being able to use Chesnaught, Incineroar, Lycanroc and Kommo-o will hurt me but not being able to use Feraligatr will definitely annihilate me as that Pokemon's been my longtime childhood favorite. There is no way I can replace those 5 mons. Though my planned team for Sword and Shield consist of only the new Pokemon, I'm still gonna be sad if I can't bring them over for postgame enjoyment after Home is released.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#66  June 13, 2019, 06:48:49 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I mean, I'm not gonna beat around the bush here.  From my point of view this all just looks like the internet's usual outrage over nothing.  Let's be brutally honest:  There's what, 800+ pokemon by now?  With more new ones on the way?  I'm willing to bet money that out of those 800 pokemon, every single player has at bare minimum 500-600 of them that they do not give a soft-boiled shit about.  Nobody carries the same investment for each and every single pokemon.  If they didn't announce this and just left, say, 100 pokemon out of the base game without telling anyone I bet it'd be months before anyone even noticed.

It is unquestionably not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.  Eventually Pokemon was always going to grow too big to keep including everything in every game.  They're trimming the fat instead of wasting time, money, and resources on content that they already know that no player was ever going to bother with anyway, and I don't see why that's being viewed as a negative.

Yes we should just ignore that SWSH has the quality of an upscaled 3DS game that has the laziest animations in gaming history. They have absolutely no excuse if they're still so incompetent that NPCs have pop-in, WIngull literally just hovers statically, and Pokemon move animations are still as bad as they were since X & Y (seriously just look at Double Kick).

If sacrificing Pokemon to improve the game's quality, which Masuda literally said in the new interview, then they completely failed at it. It's not even just a meme that Gamefreak are incompetent developers. Iwata had to personally help them with GSC so it can even run properly and it was him that made post-GSC Kanto possible. Let's not even go into them making so many different 3d models for a single character/Pokemon like Lilly who had 10 of them in SM. Apparently Dynamaxed Pokemon are their own models which is one of the main reasons Pokemon had to be cut.

Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in the world. There is really no excuse for this incompetence especially when you compare it to other mon games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth and the recent Dragon Quest Monsters games that all had less than half the budget Pokemon games have. Even just generally comparing it to almost every modern game today SWSH looks like it's stuck in the PS2 era.
#67  June 13, 2019, 07:05:31 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Not being able to use Chesnaught, Incineroar, Lycanroc and Kommo-o will hurt me but not being able to use Feraligatr will definitely annihilate me as that Pokemon's been my longtime childhood favorite. There is no way I can replace those 5 mons. Though my planned team for Sword and Shield consist of only the new Pokemon, I'm still gonna be sad if I can't bring them over for postgame enjoyment after Home is released.

Yeah man, Totodile, Croconaw and Feraligatr is my favorite Pokemon too, I'm sad with this. I hope If possible obtain others pokemons with post game + Pokemon Home release in future.

My "Dream-Team":

- Feraligatr (Water)
- Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
- Dragonite (Dragon)
- Snorlax (Normal)
- Lucario (Fight/Steel)
- Gengar (Ghost/Poison)

If Nintendo not mantain the restrictions, of course.
#68  June 13, 2019, 04:44:36 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I mean if you all want to be angry about it that’s your prerogative, I’m just trying to be reasonable.  Again, this was always going to happen eventually.  Games get more and more expensive to make as technology advances; it’s not like they’re still developing for GBA or DS anymore.  And with the franchise’s model of introducing 100 or so new monsters with each generation, there was always going to come a point where the figures of “Pokémon we have” vs “Pokémon we can afford to put in the next game” would start to drift apart.
#69  June 13, 2019, 05:43:12 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Honestly if it means the actual game is more fun to play and has more non-story content, then so be it. In an interview, it was said that there's going to be plenty of post-game content which sounds great.

You don't know how long I collectively spent in Sinnoh's Underground or mixing poffins, so give me more of that and I'll be happy. Heck, even a new Battle Frontier would be swell, especially after the silly comments they made in regards to why it was absent in OR/AS.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#70  June 13, 2019, 09:56:58 pm
    • Philippines
Megas and Z-moves were just confirmed not to come back either. Really this whole Dynamax thing is one giant mistake. It's not even original and exciting. It's literally just "it gets bigger". They put so much unneeded effort into making Dynamax models for every Pokemon even though they can just resize them through coding.
#71  June 13, 2019, 10:16:11 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
The way I see it, Dynamax is their solution to effectively give every single available Pokemon the equivalent of a Mega Evolution rather than only giving a small percentage (26 Pokemon, or 3.214% of the Gen 7 National dex, to be exact). They tried to do this with Z-moves in Gen 7 as well, but how exactly are they going to explain Z-moves in SwSh? Unlike Megas, Z-moves were explicitly tied to the story of Necrozma, even if it was very subtle. So not only did they do it for balance reasons, they did it because it fits the narrative.

Yeah, it's going to suck not being able to use Mega Charizard X or Flyinium Z Landorus-T or whatnot, but if it creates a more level competitive playing field then I'm all for it. I mean, just look what happened when Mega Rayquaza, Mega Lucario, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar, and Mega Salamence were introduced; the only ways to level out the playing field was to either make everything else stupidly broken, or remove the broken elements. Adding Dynamax and removing Megas and Z-moves, as I see it, was the middle ground between those two extremes.

And those complaining about mot being able to transfer certain species to SwSh, you're acting as if SwSh are going to be the last games in the series. I'm willing to bet that in November 2020 when Sinnoh Remakes or whatever gets released that finally allow you to use your precious Kommo-O or Bidoof, you'll forget all about this; after all, they had to make it possible to migrate those Pokemon over to Pokemon Home for a reason besides just leaving them there to rot.
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:21:27 pm by Ricepigeon
#72  June 13, 2019, 10:31:22 pm
    • Brazil
Here is the thing, darling: why should we wait when they CAN easily just bring those up now? Honestly, if big Pokémon is all we're gonna get as a "mechanic" on this generation, I would MUCH rather have no new mechanic and keep all old Pokémon NOW instead of waiting god knows how much until they finally release a game that allows them. Make more megas, or, hell, make new evolutions for Pokémon that are shit, Luvdisc still exist and its the worst thing ever, why not work on that? Don't be naive to think that making them gigantic will help balance, it won't, now we'll simply go back to Gen V's levels of strenght, except the most powerful Pokémon will now also be able to enjoy becoming gigantic, because there is no reason for you to use Dynamax on the weaker ones.
#73  June 13, 2019, 11:40:59 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
EDIT: Screw it!! The reason why I play new Generations of Pokemon is BECAUSE of the new Pokemon. So I'll play Sword and Shield just for that. I'll miss Z-moves but since there's no Megas, I'm not bothered because I'm not planning on having the old Pokemon unless it's a favorite of mine.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:35:57 pm by DarkWolf13
#74  June 14, 2019, 05:15:41 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I mean if you all want to be angry about it that’s your prerogative, I’m just trying to be reasonable.  Again, this was always going to happen eventually.  Games get more and more expensive to make as technology advances; it’s not like they’re still developing for GBA or DS anymore.  And with the franchise’s model of introducing 100 or so new monsters with each generation, there was always going to come a point where the figures of “Pokémon we have” vs “Pokémon we can afford to put in the next game” would start to drift apart.
Gamefreak's model was fucking stupid. There was no need to design 100-200 new pokemon per generation, specially when so many of the were obvious expies of existing pokemon (bland bird pokemon, bland mammal pokemon). They should've seen the writing on the wall when they first made the leap into 3D and become much more restrained.

Dumping the old pokemon NOW is an unbelievably moronic idea since Pokemon Go made the original 151 more culturally relevant than anything GF could come up with.
#75  June 14, 2019, 03:06:15 pm
    • Philippines
The way I see it, Dynamax is their solution to effectively give every single available Pokemon the equivalent of a Mega Evolution rather than only giving a small percentage (26 Pokemon, or 3.214% of the Gen 7 National dex, to be exact). They tried to do this with Z-moves in Gen 7 as well, but how exactly are they going to explain Z-moves in SwSh? Unlike Megas, Z-moves were explicitly tied to the story of Necrozma, even if it was very subtle. So not only did they do it for balance reasons, they did it because it fits the narrative.

Yeah, it's going to suck not being able to use Mega Charizard X or Flyinium Z Landorus-T or whatnot, but if it creates a more level competitive playing field then I'm all for it. I mean, just look what happened when Mega Rayquaza, Mega Lucario, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar, and Mega Salamence were introduced; the only ways to level out the playing field was to either make everything else stupidly broken, or remove the broken elements. Adding Dynamax and removing Megas and Z-moves, as I see it, was the middle ground between those two extremes.

And those complaining about mot being able to transfer certain species to SwSh, you're acting as if SwSh are going to be the last games in the series. I'm willing to bet that in November 2020 when Sinnoh Remakes or whatever gets released that finally allow you to use your precious Kommo-O or Bidoof, you'll forget all about this; after all, they had to make it possible to migrate those Pokemon over to Pokemon Home for a reason besides just leaving them there to rot.

Don't give me that "it's all for competitive balance" stuff. That kind of logic is why we have that functions bullshit in MvCI. Majority of people don't give a crap about that. They just want their favorite Pokemon and want to use them. Also the notion of Gamefreak caring about competitive balance is pretty funny. All they care is putting a new gimmick to entice fans. Megas and Z-moves just introduced even more broken Pokemon and you think Dynamax won't?

And how did we even imply these will be the last games? That's the actual problem we have with it in the first place. That Pokemon are stuck in limbo on their shitty mobile app (reminder that Home isn't a Switch program) until Gamefreak decides to put them in whatever games they make next. And you know full well they give all the popular Pokemon top priority so some Pokemon will either be left out for way too long or even never come back because of how obscure they are. Just look at Glameow and Purugly. They almost didn't show up at all in the 3DS games.
#76  June 14, 2019, 03:18:05 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
why Wouldn’t they focus on the Pokémon that will sell games over two gen 4 cat Pokémon with nothing notable about them, in a sea of 700+ Pokémon
#77  June 14, 2019, 04:43:01 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
I like how the people complaining about Mega Evolution being removed never once brought up the fact that, because Dynamaxing doesn't require a specific item ala Mega Rayquaza, a Pokemon could in theory both Mega Evolve AND Dynamax. If you think Mega Evolutions were broken by themselves, imagine what having both can do.

We already have instances in Gen 7 where you have to guess if a Pokemon is a Z-move user or a Mega Evolution (this usually just applies to Gyarados, but instances of multiple possible Z-Moves/Megas on a single team is also a thing), so adding Dynamax on top of that would only convolute matters further. If anything, Dynamaxing makes the Z-Move/Mega mechanic much more dynamic in that you no longer have to dedicate a single teamslot to your Mega/Z-Move which, if you run multiple Megas/Z-Move users, can result in one of your Pokemon effectively having no item; because hold items didn't exist in LGPE, this wasn't an issue so running multiple Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving is seen as a much more viable strategy in LGPE than it is in XY/ORAS/SM/USUM, and Dynamaxing is effectively built from that idea.
#78  June 14, 2019, 06:23:30 pm
  • For honor!
I'd actually take new megas long before Dynamax because when done right it gave us Beedrill and Charizard (God it sucks to be them come sword and shield) It's just Gamefreak, being Gamefreak, pushed some megas WAY too far and gave Megas to things that had no business having one such as Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Salamence.

Balance is a PR reason and if anything that's what annoys me more than anything else about Masuda's explanation because it actually feels like an attempt to throw us competitive folk under the bus. Like, I'm pretty sure they're aware of the competitive-casual divide and sorta hoped they could deflect some of the anger at us "Smogonfags". Aaaaaand since there's Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu data to recycle I bet almost all (If not all) of the 151 originals will be included with the hopeful side effect of deflecting anger at "Genwunners". So yeah, "for competitive balance" is what actually annoys me rather than makes me feel optimistic. Especially when we're gonna get some over-pushed broken piece of shit that will spawn more cynical twitter memes the moment smogon suspect tests it.

Knowing Gamefreak, the actual reason they professionally cannot admit is because they weren't prepared for a project of this scope so we're basically getting an elaborate beta for their new engine. It's like Diamond and Pearl but with something far more detrimental than SAVING A LOT OF DATA. Come the next main Pokemon game they're gonna be like "We have listened to our fans so now Poke'mon Gun will allow you to transfer ANY of your Poke'mon into it! You can continue your journey with all of your favorites isn't that great?! Everyone is here!"
Iroha stripped for me
Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:26:43 pm by Alpaca-San
#79  June 15, 2019, 01:29:16 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Ugh, this stupidity had more annoying long-reaching effects then I was even thinking about.  Been getting my younger brothers into the series, and the games that really took hold were Sun and Moon, the games and the anime, and they love their Nebby to bits.  Now gotta explain to them why the company behind the games won't let them play with their favorites because of freaking balancing and the unlikely event of them getting their legendary in the new game.

I like how the people complaining about Mega Evolution being removed never once brought up the fact that, because Dynamaxing doesn't require a specific item ala Mega Rayquaza, a Pokemon could in theory both Mega Evolve AND Dynamax. If you think Mega Evolutions were broken by themselves, imagine what having both can do.

I'd presume the Dynamax transformation will require its own held item like Megas and Z-Moves, because while the form might block out Z-moves with its own unique moveset imposed upon it, currently there's nothing saying you can't pull out a Dynamaxed Mega Rayquaza.  And I'm inclined to believe that's a tad bit ridiculous.

I'd guess we all had similar thoughts, it just wasn't remotely as big a deal as it first was upon announcement compared to the following Treehouse news about exclusion.  I was presuming the fact they kept Megas in gen 7 and just handwave explained it away with tourists bringing over the idea to Alola, they would just do the same thing in gen 8 after the Elite Four with more tourists.  I mean, it would be ridiculous to just throw away these mechanics that they quite actively promoted and put a lot of work into creating new further evolved forms of Pokémon that people just loved.
Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:37:01 am by Long John Killer
#80  June 15, 2019, 05:38:05 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Just a thought as I sit in front of the computer just now:

Since the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield are both on a system that can receive large patches fairly easily, what is the likelihood that future updates to the game will include new Pokemon that wasn't in already?

Maybe have a Safari Zone and have the new Pokemon dumped in there, claiming to be imports from a far-away region...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!