Random Topic V10 (Read 1866101 times)

Started by Orochi Gill, July 09, 2016, 05:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V10
#3401  August 28, 2019, 01:34:39 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
man i remember really wanting to learn japanese back in my teens because i really wanted to read an unscaned weird mecha manga called kakugo no susume. i never followed through.
my advice to you if you want to learn it; you better have a good reason to dedicate yourself to it. otherwise you're gonna drop it as soon as it gets tedious.
In my experience it's the complete opposite: only the people who have "stupid" reasons like wanting to learn Japanese because of anime or vidya eventually become fluent in the language. People who try to learn a second language because they're forced in school/college, or because they think it will look good on the resume never get anywhere.
#3402  August 28, 2019, 02:05:07 am
  • all is love in fair and war
Or they shouldn't and should keep talking about Godzilla, who is clearly a lizard and shares more dna with birds than humans 

lizard don't drag their tails around but crocodiles do and crocs are plenty in australia.

being aquatic, why doesn't godzilla evolve to have paddles for limbs instead?

same why crocs doesn't have paddles. see there's a pattern .

AHHAH, now I see the pattern, godzilla is a cross between croc and buff kangaroo :idea3:
#3403  August 28, 2019, 02:15:36 am
Which is strange because he's supposed to be a mix of gorilla and whale.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#3404  August 28, 2019, 02:24:58 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
#3405  August 28, 2019, 02:29:41 am
Kakkoii, what’s your ethnicity?

You guys should post more pictures of where you live, those that live overseas.

Indonesian chinese

overseas to what? USAland?
long time ago there's a thread like that here somewhere.

Which is strange because he's supposed to be a mix of gorilla and whale.

now that s random... how did they come up with that?  both have no tails and whale has its nose on the top of its head lol... I can imagine gorilla and croc, but to me kangaroo is a better mix or perhaps bear or ground sloth

or maybe they think prehistoric whale?
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:36:10 am by kakkoii superhero
#3406  August 28, 2019, 02:55:17 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#3407  August 28, 2019, 03:23:35 am
It's what the name came from. Godzilla = Gojira = gorira + kujira = gorilla + whale. Back during the first movie draft anyway, but they changed the design without changing the name.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:26:39 am by Byakko
#3408  August 28, 2019, 03:27:17 am
    • USA
Well huh, learn something every day
This time
This time
#3409  August 28, 2019, 03:40:30 am
Early on, Tanaka contemplated on having the monster be gorilla-like or whale-like in design due to the name "Gojira" (a combination of the Japanese words for gorilla, gorira, and whale, kujira) but eventually settled on a dinosaur-like design.
Apparently they came up with that name first, then they tried to come up with a design that matched the name, but gave up and went for the lizard. I suppose they started with the name because of the gigantism and power both animals represented, or something.
edit - oh, that's exactly it.
The name Godzilla is a romanization of the original Japanese name Gojira—which is a combination of two Japanese words: gorira (ゴリラ), "gorilla", and kujira (クジラ), "whale". The word alludes to the size, power and aquatic origin of Godzilla.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:43:59 am by Byakko
#3410  August 28, 2019, 04:30:36 am
hmm learned new thing,  this is why internet forums should not die since social medias teach me nothing.
#3411  August 28, 2019, 05:30:57 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
That's the power of Random Topic. Random-ass facts and stories.
#3412  August 28, 2019, 09:36:22 am
man i remember really wanting to learn japanese back in my teens because i really wanted to read an unscaned weird mecha manga called kakugo no susume. i never followed through.
my advice to you if you want to learn it; you better have a good reason to dedicate yourself to it. otherwise you're gonna drop it as soon as it gets tedious.
In my experience it's the complete opposite: only the people who have "stupid" reasons like wanting to learn Japanese because of anime or vidya eventually become fluent in the language. People who try to learn a second language because they're forced in school/college, or because they think it will look good on the resume never get anywhere.
this blog written by one of the mangastream translators talks about this subject. its very informative, i suggest you guys read it.
essentially what you described are people who are intrinsically motivated to learn the language, they're interested in it and find it enjoyable to learn.

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3413  August 28, 2019, 04:58:34 pm
It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.

asian folks are hella racist , depending where you at of course but we won't come at you and be rude,
we'll just gawk and leer at you especially if you're black or a lanky white dude like you're a exotic animal in a zoo.
and we're racist towards each other except we don't really mind it , not that we don't care but we don't take slurs and insults seriously like westerners do. well back then we don't but now i see the reactions are very similar to americans. probably influence of media and western culture.

mainlanders call us southerns sea dogs we call them saliva droolers cause they spit all over the place,  and it's kinda true my grandfather likes to spit alot even at the dinner table.
it's amusing to learn what countries have the most creative insults against each other. asian servers games especially if it's a team game like dota or csgo you'd be frustrated if you just want to play a game and you got teamed up with indonesians and malaysians , it's ridiculous at how every game i played if there's both of them in one team they always , always fight and insult each other. it doesn't matter if your team is winning or losing they'd find whatever excuse to insult each other.

and then there's korea and japan , malaysia and indonesia it's more of a sibling rivalry thing but japan and korea oh man that's where you see real shit goes down when those two are each other's throat.
#3414  August 28, 2019, 06:10:26 pm
we don't take slurs and insults seriously like westerners do.
That's really only Americans. Scots and Irish and Brits and French (and I think Italians too and dunno about Spanish) can unload colorful insults at will all day long, and context tells you if it's serious or friendly. Aussies didn't invent the cunt.
#3415  August 28, 2019, 06:22:58 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
this blog written by one of the mangastream translators talks about this subject. its very informative, i suggest you guys read it.
essentially what you described are people who are intrinsically motivated to learn the language, they're interested in it and find it enjoyable to learn.

I wanted to learn japanese for no reason at all, I started looking at pages on the internet that taught it, youtube lessons, and so on. I learned both kanas and very few kanjis, but I'm far from fluent. I still want to learn but just simple "wanting to learn" is not helping, I guess if I had a schedule and dedicated myself a bit more I'd be a lot better. Still can read one thing or another though when I come across the kanas. There was a "language school" (not sure if there is a right name for it) near home but it was too expensive, and since Byakko said he is self taught, I think I'll try to dedicate myself on it again.
#3416  August 28, 2019, 07:26:43 pm
    • USA
This time
This time
#3417  August 30, 2019, 01:02:13 am
lol whatta buncha weeaboos in there amirite high five :XD:

The Godzilla fact was interesting to know. :thumbsup:
Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:05:29 am by AlexSin
#3418  August 30, 2019, 09:51:56 am
It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.

asian folks are hella racist , depending where you at of course but we won't come at you and be rude,
we'll just gawk and leer at you especially if you're black or a lanky white dude like you're a exotic animal in a zoo.
and we're racist towards each other except we don't really mind it , not that we don't care but we don't take slurs and insults seriously like westerners do. well back then we don't but now i see the reactions are very similar to americans. probably influence of media and western culture.

mainlanders call us southerns sea dogs we call them saliva droolers cause they spit all over the place,  and it's kinda true my grandfather likes to spit alot even at the dinner table.
it's amusing to learn what countries have the most creative insults against each other. asian servers games especially if it's a team game like dota or csgo you'd be frustrated if you just want to play a game and you got teamed up with indonesians and malaysians , it's ridiculous at how every game i played if there's both of them in one team they always , always fight and insult each other. it doesn't matter if your team is winning or losing they'd find whatever excuse to insult each other.

and then there's korea and japan , malaysia and indonesia it's more of a sibling rivalry thing but japan and korea oh man that's where you see real shit goes down when those two are each other's throat.

c'mon, I'm indonesian partly chinese , i don't even insult my cat
depending on your age group and folks you hang around with of course
normal educated grown up indonesian don't swear much , unless you hang around with becak drivers, construction workers, truck drivers or group of early teenagers,  even when they do then there is probably just what equivalent to shit, body parts ( head, face) and animal names (mostly dog or monkey) and combination of those bodypart and animal   still you'll never hear any insult at the level of motherfucker. not verbally, dunno if in text since I'm probably a generation too old ...  :P
#3419  August 30, 2019, 02:58:56 pm
kontol!!! that's what i always hear from indonesians.

very rare to see indonesians and malaysians in person , most foreigners i meet and talk to that aren't related to me are russians , vietnamese , koreans too many fucking koreans here. even my editor way back in college was korean like for 4 years i didn't even knew she was a foreigner. even up north where i grew up tons of korean workers. and korean men are rowdy bunch the women are ok but the men they are loud most of the time you'll see a drunk korean man getting kicked out of a bar or hotels. or you see them sleeping on public sheds.
#3420  September 01, 2019, 09:48:52 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
2 years for Chinese economy to collapse. And the world can't do anything with the Brazilian forest fires right now. Why am I still somehow optimistic?

even my editor way back in college was korean like for 4 years i didn't even knew she was a foreigner.

Did you had the same problem my friend (she worked temporarily as an english tutor for korean kids) had with their culture being indirect?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.