YesNoOk

Knuckles8864's WiPs - Captaining the Command(o) (Yagami Update) (Read 634385 times)

Started by Knuckles8864, February 14, 2017, 03:34:40 am
Share this topic:

Poll

After Yamazaki, what's next?

Update Iori Yagami?
6 (7.6%)
Update Dhalsim?
2 (2.5%)
Raiden or Maki Update?
9 (11.4%)
Captain Commando?
38 (48.1%)
5th Option?!
24 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: August 31, 2019, 03:34:00 pm

Re: Knuckles8864's WiPs - Decision Time!
#721  August 31, 2019, 04:36:35 pm
  • Was it something I said?
Looks like we have a winner!

Captain Commando will be my next character!
#722  August 31, 2019, 04:51:22 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
SIIIICK!
Lasagna
#723  August 31, 2019, 05:03:58 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
#724  September 01, 2019, 04:23:14 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Wow, pretty much by a landslide. I'm super okay with this though. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for him!
Re: Knuckles8864's WiPs - Captaining the Command(o)
#725  September 01, 2019, 04:59:12 am
Here's the ultimate question: Shall I make him like a sort of MvC mix, similar to what DivineWolf did with Strider, or make him more like Warusaki's version?
#726  September 01, 2019, 05:14:24 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
By MvC mix you're talking about chain normals or that also aplies to commands too? IMO the best way of course is to have him as a regular "PoTS" character with the option to enable chain normals for those who prefer a more MvC like gameplay.
Lasagna
#727  September 01, 2019, 05:23:35 am
Here's the ultimate question: Shall I make him like a sort of MvC mix, similar to what DivineWolf did with Strider, or make him more like Warusaki's version?
how about two where one is default and another one is selecting him va holding start and pressing any attack key in the select screen or/and having separate defs?

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#728  September 01, 2019, 05:50:27 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
The idea of both versions available is cool. Either making a config.txt or selecting via holding start would be nice.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

DW

#729  September 01, 2019, 06:07:31 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I don't like Waru's version. I would advice against using stuff from his, as that's his own personal take. Making Captain Fire/Corridor supers honestly makes no sense to me. The lack of chaining is detrimental to Vs styled chars as well. I did with Strider/Psylocke/Jill, what they did with Morrigan in CvS.

Just because you're making the char in a CvS-ish format, doesn't mean he needs to lose what makes him...well...HIM. Chaining is in CvS. Morrigan can do it by default, and it can be given via sub system mechanics. I personally wouldn't make any config, but you do you. I would suggest sticking to his MvC scheme, and maybe see about adding something from his actual game and maybe from some games he cameo'd in. Like Project X Zone I believe.
#730  September 01, 2019, 06:20:13 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Just to complement my previous post, when I say MvC, I'm not talking only about chaining but the gameplay in general, velocities, super jump and all the fancy stuff MvC is known for. Chain is ok for PotS style chars as PotS himself did that on Morrigan.

lui

#731  September 01, 2019, 07:43:19 am
    • USA
I don't like Waru's version. I would advice against using stuff from his, as that's his own personal take. Making Captain Fire/Corridor supers honestly makes no sense to me. The lack of chaining is detrimental to Vs styled chars as well. I did with Strider/Psylocke/Jill, what they did with Morrigan in CvS.

Just because you're making the char in a CvS-ish format, doesn't mean he needs to lose what makes him...well...HIM. Chaining is in CvS. Morrigan can do it by default, and it can be given via sub system mechanics. I personally wouldn't make any config, but you do you. I would suggest sticking to his MvC scheme, and maybe see about adding something from his actual game and maybe from some games he cameo'd in. Like Project X Zone I believe.

This. Please.
#732  September 01, 2019, 07:55:35 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Gotta disagree with you there, DW. I personally feel like everything Warusaki3 did made him feel like a proper CvS character. Captain Fire and Corridor being supers and Captain Storm/Sword being the Level 3 super is also great, them being regular special attacks like in MvC would feel weird imo. It works for the style of game that the Vs series has been, kind of wild and fast-paced. CvS has always felt a bit more grounded, by comparison.. I'm not sure what the custom super he made is called, I personally call it Captain Combination [also fitting with the CapCom scheme] but I like that one too. I also don't feel like Waru's Commando not having chaining is as detrimental as you say, he still plays just as well and still has great ways of opening up the opponent.

While I personally would love to see Knux's own pure original take on the good Captain, I don't feel like taking some things from Waru's Commando is as bad of an idea as you make it.
#733  September 01, 2019, 09:29:04 am
I do agree and disagree with many people here. On one side, yes Warusaki did give Cap a good identity from his appearance from his in MvC, and makes him a formidable fighter (given what DW did with Jill, and that's a really good thing from giving her zombie helpers). On the other hand, I do agree with DW with Waru's gameplay way, as it does feel a bit slow imho. However, there's not really much else to take from his own original games, unless giving him a rocket launcher is on the list. And even Project X Zone 2 doesn't give him that much, because he's only an assist character, not one you play as (not even his own other Commandoes are in it as he says they're all on another mission after talking with Ryu and Ken).

So, I'd probably go with a line of giving him moves that chain together, but keep Waru's element still there (even if making Captain Fire and Corridor supers, unless there's another way?)

lui

#734  September 01, 2019, 10:29:28 am
    • USA
you could have him call his strikers as supers and buff up their utility instead of having his specials be supers?

it would keep his identity and you'd still be able to make captain corridor and captain fire specials.

win-win imo, his strikers are extremely important to him as a character and it would be a perfect way to implement them
#735  September 01, 2019, 12:38:01 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
Why not make them weaker as specials but have them act like in MvC as Supers? For example, making Captain Fire a Yoga Blast but making the Super Captain Fire a Yoga Inferno.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#736  September 01, 2019, 02:21:46 pm
Why not make them weaker as specials but have them act like in MvC as Supers? For example, making Captain Fire a Yoga Blast but making the Super Captain Fire a Yoga Inferno.

I could, but I need the sprites for the weak flame version of the move.

you could have him call his strikers as supers and buff up their utility instead of having his specials be supers?

it would keep his identity and you'd still be able to make captain corridor and captain fire specials.

win-win imo, his strikers are extremely important to him as a character and it would be a perfect way to implement them

I'll think about it, but they'll be part of Captain Storm/Sword Super.

DW

#737  September 01, 2019, 02:42:57 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Captain Fire and Corridor being supers and Captain Storm/Sword being the Level 3 super is also great, them being regular special attacks like in MvC would feel weird imo. It works for the style of game that the Vs series has been, kind of wild and fast-paced. CvS has always felt a bit more grounded, by comparison..

Why? Why is it great to spend meter to do moves that he could do by default and are apart of his utility in general? It's not like Captain Fire/Corridor are anything special/overpowered. C.Fire is just the run of the mill projectile honestly. While Corridor functions much like Kyosuke's Lighting Upper. Why give him a SRK instead of just keeping Corridor? It's just his anti air defense.

Captain Storm being more cinematic and made more powerful for the sake of it is fine. Though why a Storm+Sword hybrid? C.Sword isn't anything all that special either. TBH, Commando by default is more streamline to just go into the format as is than most other Vs styled chars. There's really no reasoning behind this, other than that's just what he wanted to do. Which is his prerogative to do so, but, not needed honestly to make him fit with the rest of the cast.

While I personally would love to see Knux's own pure original take on the good Captain, I don't feel like taking some things from Waru's Commando is as bad of an idea as you make it.

I never said it was a bad idea. I said that's his own personal take, stemmed from his own imagination. If you're just gonna do the same thing he did, with different FX and EX moves, why even bother? At that point, it's honestly an edit. Which isn't inherently bad, though I don't see the point.
#738  September 01, 2019, 02:59:44 pm
Knuckles, DW, (everyone for that matter) why not join the MFG discord ? Would be easier to discuss and also for us to give feedback on the spot.

Lots of us are regulars there and talk on a daily basis.

Seeing the poll results hot damn Dhalsim gets no love :(
Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:07:18 pm by PeXXeR
#739  September 01, 2019, 03:58:38 pm
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
I agree that it shouldn't be a 1-1 kind of thing, that's fair. I dunno, just of all of the MvC characters I've seen get converted to a CvS-esque style, Commando's moves in the MvC universe seem the strongest. I personally can't remember anyone else having "big" normal special attacks like he does, with CvS being more grounded like I mentioned before. Like with Jill and Hayato, their moves and specials I can see staying the same if they had actually made it to CvS2, but I can't say the same with CapCom. It's hard for me to properly put things into words sometimes, so I'm not sure if I'm properly expressing what I mean here.
#740  September 01, 2019, 08:02:17 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
As much as I love Waru's rendition of Captain Commando, gotta admit I'm not very fond of his more traditional SRK move - yeah, maybe that could be replaced with a sort of toned down C. Corridor - as well as the Captain Sword being limited to a Lvl.3 finisher only.

So I'd say, keep his general moveset essentially similar to how Warusaki approached him in CvS - sure, it doesn't feel much the same as the MvC counterpart, but I do think it covers up very well CapCom's strenght and techniques from the original arcade game into the more grounded style of SF and KoF.

And then, you could add new mechanics up from there as well: for example, make the EX specials more close to the MvC variants; add the Commando Assists moves, but make them require some meter usage (EX only moves); add chain combos, etc.
Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:15:38 pm by NDSilva